shape
carat
color
clarity

Turquoise beads: questions

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
I bought a string of turquoise beads on evilbay. The seller states turquoise platinum and diamonds. I have doubts that the beads are real turquoise but i really love the necklace. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

turqbeads.jpg

turqbeads2.jpg

turqbeads3.jpg

turqbeads4.jpg

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Evilbay? :lol:

Can't say anything about the stated diamond/plat but the turquoise is quite possibly natural but treated in some way (dyed, stabilized, or that treatment where they powder small pieces of turquoise and glue them back together). Turquoise is a very commonly treated gem.

Can you direct us to the listing? There might be some keywords that the seller used that will clarify treatment if it matters to you.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
LoversKites|1393052050|3620555 said:
Evilbay? :lol:

Can't say anything about the stated diamond/plat but the turquoise is quite possibly natural but treated in some way (dyed, stabilized, or that treatment where they powder small pieces of turquoise and glue them back together). Turquoise is a very commonly treated gem.

Can you direct us to the listing? There might be some keywords that the seller used that will clarify treatment if it matters to you.

Thanks-it is
eBay item number:

trust me I know that most turquoise is treated. even van cleef uses stabilized turquoise.. i wonder if it is turquoise or ceramic or even another mineral/stone

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
I was thinking that a term like 'stove top' might have been used since that's what some reconstituted turquoise is marketed as.

What makes me suspicious is that the seller claims it's worth 10k. Why would he sell it for so much less? 10k for a strand of turquoise, even with some diamonds, seems far fetched.

One of the more experienced members might be able to comment on the time period and style of the piece (since the seller claims its from the 1940's)

As to whether it might be a ceramic or different mineral there isn't a way to know from photographs.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I lived in NM for 17 years, & collected an array of Navajo, Zuni, Santo Domingo etc. pieces, but do not consider myself an expert.

That strand looks treated in some way to my eye.

I would go peruse this web site, to get a idea of what different types of natural turquoise looks like, located in Albuquerque.

Palmstrading.com

Plus, there are a few well regarded retail establishments in the Four Corners area, namely Perry Null Trading.

However, many 'pose' as legitimate!

Maybe you could find a string of nice beads & restring them?

Best of luck!
sarahb

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
LoversKites|1393089027|3620664 said:
I was thinking that a term like 'stove top' might have been used since that's what some reconstituted turquoise is marketed as.

What makes me suspicious is that the seller claims it's worth 10k. Why would he sell it for so much less? 10k for a strand of turquoise, even with some diamonds, seems far fetched.

One of the more experienced members might be able to comment on the time period and style of the piece (since the seller claims its from the 1940's)

As to whether it might be a ceramic or different mineral there isn't a way to know from photographs.

yes agreed. the metal spacers are platinum and diamond and so appear to be 40's or 50's. They are very well constructed with platinum caps at one end and a pin through the bead connecting it to the pave piece. i would be surprised if such decorative pieces would be paired with something completely worthless but who knows

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many people these days sell reconstituted turquoise as "real" turquoise beads, they are getting that good at making reconstituted beads in Asia now it is difficult to spot the difference. I can't tell without looking at it in person, but it does have a slightly unreal quality/look about it.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
arkieb1|1393137946|3621021 said:
Many people these days sell reconstituted turquoise as "real" turquoise beads, they are getting that good at making reconstituted beads in Asia now it is difficult to spot the difference. I can't tell without looking at it in person, but it does have a slightly unreal quality/look about it.

i know. although up close you can see small areas of brownish matrix on some of the beads. i sent it away for an assessment, cleaning and restringing. we shall see.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Please let us know what you find out. =)

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I just wanted to say, I think they are beautiful looking. That color is hard to come by now, so I hope they're the real deal. I have some that is stabalized, from the Kingman mine and beads from Chili. They are not the color that you have. Stabalized turquoise is the norm now, so that it holds its color.

Annette

Ps I looked again and I think they look natural.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
smitcompton|1393185896|3621296 said:
Hi,

I just wanted to say, I think they are beautiful looking. That color is hard to come by now, so I hope they're the real deal. I have some that is stabalized, from the Kingman mine and beads from Chili. They are not the color that you have. Stabalized turquoise is the norm now, so that it holds its color.

Annette

Ps I looked again and I think they look natural.

Thanks Annette-I have inspected them under a loupe and I think they may be natural as well. Uniformity is always suspect and these are not and have some subtle matrix. It would be a weird thing to fake but who knows. I will update everyone when I know more

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BGray,
I am curious to know the outcome as well. They could be natural due to the matrix but the treatments are now so well done that it can be difficult for a non-expert to determine.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I have thought a little more about this and tried to remember what I have learned in the past.

Often, they use a stone called howlite when they dye beads to look like turquoise. It is white and takes dye well. However, it does not absorb through the stone. So, if you can check, carefully between the beads, at the hole, you may see white. This may indicate dyed beads.

Many beads are plastic. They also look quite real, but have an overall look of uniformity.

I do not know about reconstituted. If these are from the 40s or 50s, I doubt they would be reconstituted.

I doubt if they would be stabilized either. The best turquoise comes from Iran. See if you can't pull up some pictures. The other comes from the sleeping beauty mines in Arizona. His claim of 10,000 is only his marketing tool.

Yesterday, I spent time trying to find out about black coral. Several yrs ago a woman came on HSN to say she had just had a black coral necklace appraised and it appraised for $25,000. This was a piece from Jay King, who deals mainly in turquoise, but did sell some black coral. Well I had that necklace as well. He just rolled his eyes in disbelief, but i put it in my safe deposit box, just in case.
Well, Jay King was on this weekend, and much to my surprise he told everyone who had black coral to hold on to it, and said black coral from Hawaii was the most expensive, beating out Meditarean Red coral.

I found a necklace that had gold caps and some diamonds for $8,900. It was a surprise. So you never know. Unfortunately mine has no diamonds or gold caps-. But yours does. Please come back and tell us.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
smitcompton|1393256008|3621878 said:
Hi,

I have thought a little more about this and tried to remember what I have learned in the past.

Often, they use a stone called howlite when they dye beads to look like turquoise. It is white and takes dye well. However, it does not absorb through the stone. So, if you can check, carefully between the beads, at the hole, you may see white. This may indicate dyed beads.

Many beads are plastic. They also look quite real, but have an overall look of uniformity.

I do not know about reconstituted. If these are from the 40s or 50s, I doubt they would be reconstituted.

I doubt if they would be stabilized either. The best turquoise comes from Iran. See if you can't pull up some pictures. The other comes from the sleeping beauty mines in Arizona. His claim of 10,000 is only his marketing tool.

Yesterday, I spent time trying to find out about black coral. Several yrs ago a woman came on HSN to say she had just had a black coral necklace appraised and it appraised for $25,000. This was a piece from Jay King, who deals mainly in turquoise, but did sell some black coral. Well I had that necklace as well. He just rolled his eyes in disbelief, but i put it in my safe deposit box, just in case.
Well, Jay King was on this weekend, and much to my surprise he told everyone who had black coral to hold on to it, and said black coral from Hawaii was the most expensive, beating out Meditarean Red coral.

I found a necklace that had gold caps and some diamonds for $8,900. It was a surprise. So you never know. Unfortunately mine has no diamonds or gold caps-. But yours does. Please come back and tell us.

Thanks --so very interesting. I did check and since the thread is somewhat stretched (they need restringing) I could see that the holes are blue as far in as I can see. I will be interested to see what the verdict is. I find them absolutely entrancing --even if fake they are really lovely. The price alone justifies the diamond and plat spacers so I wont be too upset if they are not turquoise

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm definitely of the opinion that no matter what they are, they are truly lovely. I hope they are untreated.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1393309318|3622520 said:
I'm definitely of the opinion that no matter what they are, they are truly lovely. I hope they are untreated.

Thanks--I love them!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Just wondering if you would be good enough to update us on the assessment outcome of these lovely beads.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a chunk of Egyptian turquoise rough.
It looks just like this material. Robin's egg blue, with delicate white veining/swirling patterns.
I gave it to a friend of mine who does inlay jewelry. He sliced some of it, but it was soft and untreated, so it crumbled a bit. He returned the pieces to me, because he couldnt use it. This is why turquoise is treated for hardness.If you've ever worked with it, even treated stones can sometimes crack in your hands.
So perhaps this is good quality Middle Eastern material. Would love to hear from the OP on this.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
stracci2000|1409656199|3743257 said:
I have a chunk of Egyptian turquoise rough.
It looks just like this material. Robin's egg blue, with delicate white veining/swirling patterns.
I gave it to a friend of mine who does inlay jewelry. He sliced some of it, but it was soft and untreated, so it crumbled a bit. He returned the pieces to me, because he couldnt use it. This is why turquoise is treated for hardness.If you've ever worked with it, even treated stones can sometimes crack in your hands.
So perhaps this is good quality Middle Eastern material. Would love to hear from the OP on this.

According to the jeweler (a jeweler famous for colored stones and gems), this appears to be natural and untreated turquoise (middle eastern/classic persian). It is lighter than arizona and US material and doesn't have the black matrix of chinese turquoise. They cleaned and restrung it.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations!! They are a beautiful....wear them in good health and spend some time in front of the mirror, they are gorgeous! :love: :love: :love:

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
bgray
Thank you and I'm pleased for you that they are genuine, they certainly look lovely. Wear them in good health and happy times!

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I am so glad for you. I love those beads. They are beautiful.
great News!

Annette

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
smitcompton|1409849213|3744754 said:
Hi,

I am so glad for you. I love those beads. They are beautiful.
great News!

Annette
Thanks all. Yes the necklace was taken apart and the beads inspected. The platinum pieces appear to be 30s or 40s. Old stones.....well worth the price

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations! You took the risk and it paid off.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely great news :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results