shape
carat
color
clarity

50 year old Ithaca Peak Turquoise set

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
I bought this 50 year old Ithaca Peak Turquoise (mined out since the early 1970's) from John Foutz. I used 14k gold wire, beads, and clasps to make this set. I'm having an impossible time getting my pictures small enough for this... And even photoshop isn't getting them small enough... Anyway, here is the ring. One of the neatest things about this turquoise are the quartz and pyrite matrixes. On this large piece you can see several really beautiful 6 sided quartz crystals that are naturally "faceted" and sparkle!

turqring.jpg

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
The necklace clasp... Still having a horrible time getting the pictures on here...

turqneckclasp.jpg

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
Here is the necklace. It''s a real shame I cannot get a full picture on here...

turqnecklaceihope.jpg

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
Here is the bracelet.

turqbracelet.jpg

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
Here is another attempt at the necklace!

turqnecklaceagain.jpg

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
And here is the opposite side of the ring. This side has some nice quartz crystals also!

turqringotherside.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Awesome pieces, love their uniqueness!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really cool jewellery and what’s more amazing is that you put them together.
36.gif

rustyshrapnel

Rough_Rock
Awesome! Ithaca turquoise is my absolute favorite. My avatar pic is a shot of some Ithaca nuggets I acquired last year. I like that you chose gold as your metal; the pyrite matrix imo is just perfectly suited for that.
1.gif

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
Fab pieces! Would love to see hand/neck/wrist shots...

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
I''lll give it a shot lol! But these pictures are a bit rough lol!

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
very cool intense pieces :)

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
Here is the set on. Terrible picture
7.gif

turqset.jpg

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
Wow, they look fantastic on you (or whoever is modelling in the pic)! What a beautiful colour turquoise!

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
You''re sweet, thanks! It''s one thing to buy something and have it complimented, but I have to say, when it''s your work it really does warm the heart!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stones are gorgeous, and your work is lovely as well! Thank you for sharing.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Great designs. Looks great on too.

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
Again, Thanks!

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
I hope this isn't against the rules. I found this necklace online, and the artist bought her turquoise from the same man I did! Our necklaces are similar (but hers is FAR more professional looking lol), but I have the ring and bracelet. Small world!

http://www.santame.com/turquoise.html

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
I was wondering if anyone knew of a gemstone that would give the impression of wood... The grain etc... I was looking at boulder opal and thought that might be a more appropriate bead type for this necklace... Anyone know of another stone I could use?

thanks!

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
Still need help with a gemstone that could give some impression of wood grain. Anyone have any ideas? Needs to be in bead form. Thanks!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Maybe some sort of fossilized wood?

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
How about tiger's eye?

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
I would think that fossilized wood, also known as "petrified wood" would be nice. There is also a type of volcanic glass that is found in the desert southwest that is called "mahogany obsidian" that is brownish and black. I would think that the obsidian would hold a higher polish, while the petrified wood would be a lower polish much like the turquoise. I don't know how rare the petrified wood is and I know that some is protected in national parks, so do be careful about it's source if you look for it.

Other stones with a similar polish and a southwest look might include coral and jasper of different colors and types. Jasper is quite common and comes in numerous shades that may blend nicely with the turquoise. Are you looking for contrast? You may want something darker in that case...maybe a dark brown or black.

I love the handmade quality to your turquoise suite, the color of the stones is just lovely and it's wonderful that you can wear something you made yourself. (or a family member can)

Laura

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
The color of those stones is almost unreal! So beautiful. Thanks for posting these photos.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
beautiful set! i'm in utter amazement that you made it! gorgeous!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Those are really beautiful stones & you did gorgeous work with them. I especially love the necklace -- it falls so nicely & the clasp's just wonderful! Silver would be the automatic combination w/turquoise but gold is an inspiration & gives it much more individuality. Super job!

--- Laurie

Zzz

Rough_Rock
Trade
i think the turquoise & gold combi is very pretty! looks richer (warmer?) than turquoise & silver

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I absolutely love the ring! Congratulations on the project!

Gempassion

Shiny_Rock
That's some vivid turquoise! beautiful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results