shape
carat
color
clarity

Turning these OECs into a 5 stone

CoffeeAndDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have a few pieces that I don't really wear much. Originally, I was expecting to convert the largest stone into a solitare pendant, but am now leaning towards a ring so I can admire it myself. I like comfortable blingy rings that I can put on and leave on forever.

Here's what I have:
1x 6mm OEC
1x 5mm OEC
2x 4mm OECs

Do you think these match well enough for a 5 stone, if I can find an additional 5mm OEC? I'm not color sensitive at all (like cannot see the difference in shades). Would this hypothetical ring look OK on a size 6 finger?

20210416_091749.jpg

20210416_140828.jpg

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
For me they would not match well enough in terms of cut or color. However as you say the color won’t bug you, I say go for it, far better to have a workhorse of a ring to enjoy than pieces that are collecting dust!

CoffeeAndDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Premium
For me they would not match well enough in terms of cut or color. However as you say the color won’t bug you, I say go for it, far better to have a workhorse of a ring to enjoy than pieces that are collecting dust!

Maybe I'll tape them together and see if the difference in cut bothers me!

A few years ago I took that color test and scored terribly. Many colors looked the same to me, so I just guessed... All those previous conversations about paint colors and why I never cared which shade was chosen made sooooooo much more sense lol

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s a great use for items you have, to repurpose into an item you will wear much more.
sourcing the 5th doesn’t seem to daunt
reselling all to then find an existing ring also doesn’t seem to interest.

knowing what you have in hand, pleases your eye as a suite is the biggest consideration, on projects like this - IMO.
(coming from someone who knows their three stone “match” wouldn’t have been voted favorably if I would have put that option out here)
since you are asking if they match well enough, I predict you won’t get many enthusiastic favorables.

my suggestion after all this is to really think about the setting’s involvement in how it will overall look/go together.
I think bezels vs open prongs vs Victorian type engraved half hoop style will all differ in how it overall makes your suite look.

Last edited:

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They might be just fine together when looking at them actual size as opposed to an enlarged photo and that's how I would look at them if I were considering making a ring out of them. When looking at them in real life at a distance approximately the distance you will be looking at them on your hand, does the faceting and/or color look so "off" to you that it will bother you? If not, then why not go for it. I always call these projects "rescue" projects and it seems to me that you are better off using these stones in a ring that you will wear instead of letting them sit around. What kind of setting are you thinking of? I'd probably go for a setting with an antique look because looking at a lot of antique 5 stone rings, often those stones don't match perfectly. I would feel differently if these were MRBs.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
It really depends on the 'style' of ring you're going for.
I actually prefer the slight differences in stones cut/color in antique style bands as long as they're visually harmonious. It's their 'fingerprint' to me. It's the secret sauce that makes them so hard to replicate authentically IMO.

CoffeeAndDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think it’s a great use for items you have, to repurpose into an item you will wear much more.
sourcing the 5th doesn’t seem to daunt
reselling all to then find an existing ring also doesn’t seem to interest.

knowing what you have in hand, pleases your eye as a suite is the biggest consideration, on projects like this - IMO.
(coming from someone who knows their three stone “match” wouldn’t have been voted favorably if I would have put that option out here)
since you are asking, I predict you won’t get many enthusiastic favorables.

my suggestion after all this is to really think about the setting’s involvement in how it will overall look/go together.
I think bezels vs open prongs vs Victorian type engraved half hoop style will all differ in how it overall makes your suite look.

That's a really good point! I know myself best right? I was thinking a Victorian inspired half hoop style. Something like: Screenshot_20210416-154111_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210416-154054_Chrome.jpg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a really good point! I know myself best right? I was thinking a Victorian inspired half hoop style. Something like: Screenshot_20210416-154111_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210416-154054_Chrome.jpg

That’s the exact same victorian style engraved half hoop i was meaning! I think this type would suit your suite the most complementary of the others, but I didnt want to say it upfront.
whether or not you can find an existing one for cheaper than this project will be all in, or find one ‘better’ at a price comparable to this project all in - whole other ballgame and would you rathers.

Last edited:

CoffeeAndDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Premium
They might be just fine together when looking at them actual size as opposed to an enlarged photo and that's how I would look at them if I were considering making a ring out of them. When looking at them in real life at a distance approximately the distance you will be looking at them on your hand, does the faceting and/or color look so "off" to you that it will bother you? If not, then why not go for it. I always call these projects "rescue" projects and it seems to me that you are better off using these stones in a ring that you will wear instead of letting them sit around. What kind of setting are you thinking of? I'd probably go for a setting with an antique look because looking at a lot of antique 5 stone rings, often those stones don't match perfectly. I would feel differently if these were MRBs.

Here's a few pics from farther away:

20210416_155415.jpg
20210416_155445.jpg

It's hard to see past all the chunky sparkle to focus on the facets lol

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock

This is exactly the kind of 5-stone I would get. Its just so classic and beautiful. And I feel like with this kind of antique setting, it gives you some leeway from everything matching since not much truly antique rings match perfectly. Which is the best thing about them sometimes. Their whimsical character.

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
I'm having a hard time taking photos of them all together facing the same angle... I do have more pictures though! 20210416_153252.jpg 20210416_153235.jpg 20210416_153410.jpg 20210416_153543.jpg 20210416_153613.jpg

Well, in the end, we’re not the ones that are going to be staring at your hand all day! If you love the stones and the color and cut differences don’t bother you, I say go for it! If you do end up going with that scrollwork half hoop, it’s going to be freaking amazing and I can’t wait for this project to come to fruition!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's hard to see past all the chunky sparkle to focus on the facets lol

Exactly! Which is why I don't think it is such a big issue that the cut doesn't match perfectly. What you will probably see, when looking at the ring on your hand, is the sparkle.
I had this 5 stone made from a mix of stones and the two on either end do not match the others well as far as cut, but they are small, 3.9 mm, and I don't notice the difference at all when I'm wearing the ring.

IMG_1197 resized.jpg

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
Exactly! Which is why I don't think it is such a big issue that the cut doesn't match perfectly. What you will probably see, when looking at the ring on your hand, is the sparkle.
I had this 5 stone made from a mix of stones and the two on either end do not match the others well as far as cut, but they are small, 3.9 mm, and I don't notice the difference at all when I'm wearing the ring.

IMG_1197 resized.jpg

Hello Beautiful!! I love your ring. Do you have a thread on it? More photos? Soo purty :kiss2:

CoffeeAndDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I had a four stone ring made with my great-grandmother's diamonds. They were originally from three engagement rings and a tie tack, so none of them match. 4 stone ring 1.jpg 4 stone ring 2.jpg

This is lovely!!! The thought behind it is absolutely heart warming as well <3

My grandmother left me a watch of hers. It's hands down my most treasured piece, and that she gave it to me before she passed means the world to me.

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
I have a few pieces that I don't really wear much. Originally, I was expecting to convert the largest stone into a solitare pendant, but am now leaning towards a ring so I can admire it myself. I like comfortable blingy rings that I can put on and leave on forever.

Here's what I have:
1x 6mm OEC
1x 5mm OEC
2x 4mm OECs

Do you think these match well enough for a 5 stone, if I can find an additional 5mm OEC? I'm not color sensitive at all (like cannot see the difference in shades). Would this hypothetical ring look OK on a size 6 finger?

20210416_091749.jpg

20210416_140828.jpg

Have you held them all together in different lightings to see if they sparkle the same way? The different faceting and color would not bother me but the different sparkle might... this coming from a person who has an AVC with side pears. I recently brought in a pair of oecs and a pair avcs. Just holding them at arms lenght, I could see the difference in the way the avcs and oecs sparkle and threw fire. I did not like it...I was very surprised by that, so I suggest you look at all of them together to see if you like them. If that works for you, I think it will be amazing!!

RockBrat

Shiny_Rock
I know this thread is about sourcing another 5mm to make a 5 stone ring but I just wanted to throw out the suggestion of making a 4 stone and ranging them from largest to smallest so that the ring tapers a little bit. I think that would be really cool with the stones you have and it would look more intentionally mis-matched than trying to source a 5 stone, and I think it would be fantastic.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know this thread is about sourcing another 5mm to make a 5 stone ring but I just wanted to throw out the suggestion of making a 4 stone and ranging them from largest to smallest so that the ring tapers a little bit. I think that would be really cool with the stones you have and it would look more intentionally mis-matched than trying to source a 5 stone, and I think it would be fantastic.

This is brilliant!

CoffeeAndDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Premium

That's such a fun idea! I'd love to be able to pull something like that off, but my OCD tendencies much prefer symmetry lol

If anyone has an largest to smallest four or five stone, I'd super interested in seeing how it looks!!

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I think this could work!

@sparkly_blonde did something similar recently:

CoffeeAndDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think this could work!

@sparkly_blonde did something similar recently:

Thanks for sharing @sparkly_blonde your ring turned out amazing!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results