shape
carat
color
clarity

Turning point - buy or not buy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lb12345

Rough_Rock
Need some help I have conflicting opinions. One from a jewlery store one from a broker.

Diamond in question is 1.52 carat weight
measurements 7.57 x 7.53 x4.40
Depth % 58.28
Table Diameter % 58.54
Girdle Thin to medium
Cutlet Size = none
VVS-2
Color F
Crown angle 33.5%
Crown % 16.1
Pavilion Depth 43.1%
Price = 14,300

1st question is this a good price for what is listed above
2nd question, it looks very very pretty to me but is it really...

There is a long story behind this, I'm now at the point of throwing in the towel and waiting a few more years before upgrading. By then I can go to school to become a gemologist and know what the heck I'm looking at.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
your numbers are wrong.

but don't be discouraged! i'm sure there's something out there for you.

lb12345

Rough_Rock
which numbers?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
crown height (?)

lb12345

Rough_Rock
forgive me for my lack of knowledge but on the paper I''m looking at it doesn''t say "crown height" it only refers to Crown Angle 33 1/2 degree & crown percentage 16.1 %

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yes, that is it...

16.1+43.1=59.2>58.28

Does this stone have a GIA or AGS report? EGL? IGI?

a 33.5 crown angle would mean about 14%. oh, well, maybe they included the girdle...

So is the jewelry store saying it's nice and the competing broker says it's not?

lb12345

Rough_Rock
It has a report from a "Master Gemologist" but it isn't an official GIA report. I long line of friends have purchased diamonds from this guy and were very happy. I am a co worker of one of the "friends" I mentioned. I was in the process of buying a ring from a jewler when they said "wait, I have this guy, he is really great and can save you a few grand" I went to see him, got a good feeling, saw the diamond, looked really sparkley. He was a referral so I bought the diamond.

I really liked the setting at the jewler so I asked him to set the diamond, he was a little offended that I hadn't choosen his diamond and said the one I bought was not "ideal" and kinda made me feel bad. Like I was getting a bad deal or the diamond was sub standard.

Bottom line, I can still get my money back from the broker. Should I?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The fact is, if it''s not GIA or AGS ceritifed, there''s really no telling whether any of that information is accurate. The only thing you can really do is try to get it to an independent appraiser before your return period is up. The price is a little low for what it is, so I suspect it isn''t what they say it is.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The lack of a major lab report is reflected in the price.

Things that bug me: reporting the depth and table to four numbers, while the diameter and depth in mm are reported to 3. If he has a machine that can measure things that precisely, cool, but the numbers don''t add up, and where is the pavilion angle? Oh, so he eyeballed it, didn''t have a machine scan it? It''s one or the other.

Sorry if that was confusing.

Anyway, you should have an independent appraiser check it out, I suggest looking one up under "Resources" at the top.

lb12345

Rough_Rock
He is an independant appraiser.

Can you send a diamond to the GIA people directly and have them do a report?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. But it takes weeks, and you probably won't meet the normal window for returns(?)

Where did he get his "master gemologist?"

lb12345

Rough_Rock
Yes, that was very confusing but I would guess by his office he doesn''t have a machine that scans anything. He does have a lot of titles and things. His seal (on the document) says Graduate gemologist G.I.A.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/28/2006 9:43:17 PM
Author: lb12345
He is an independant appraiser.

Can you send a diamond to the GIA people directly and have them do a report?
The person who sold you the stone is not exactly what we mean by independent appraiser. An independent appraiser does not sell diamonds, therefore, they should be more unbiased.

lb12345

Rough_Rock
Master Gemologist from the University of South Florida

Graduate Gemologist, Diamond Appraiser, Colored Stone, Gem Identification all G.I.A.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2006 9:53:42 PM
Author: lb12345
Master Gemologist from the University of South Florida

Graduate Gemologist, Diamond Appraiser, Colored Stone, Gem Identification all G.I.A.
There is a conflict of interest in the same person giving you the appraisal who is selling you the diamond. He could lie and you wouldn't know the difference unless you went to someone else to get the information verified. I wouldn't trust any diamond that didn't have either a GIA or an AGS certification...or maybe an EGL USA, but that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results