shape
carat
color
clarity

Tungsten next to white gold?

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
I'm looking for a wedding band to go(temporarily, until I can decide if I want a plain band or something with a little sparkle) next to my engagement ring. I've been looking at Tungsten and am highly impressed with the reviews I've read. I do see that it comes in "white" to match platinum and white gold, but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with it. I'm particularly looking at this one

To go next to this:

Apologies for the not so great photo, it's the best I've had time to take so far. It's a .75 princess cut with 1/20th round side diamonds, not sure the actual specs but I know the fiance has them somewhere. size is 4.25.

I have two concerns about the tungsten ring, 1) Color and 2) size. The one I'm looking at is only a 3mm(I would really prefer a 4mm but can't find it in the style I like) the ER is 3.5mm at it's widest point and I'm just concerned that a wedding band that is not even as wide as my ER might look a bit misplaced.

Any opinions on the band i have shown or what else to put next to it are more than welcome! Thanks!

pZALE1-9010823_alternate1_t400.jpg

IMG_166012.jpg

Mrsacornblue

Shiny_Rock
One of my coworkers who has a WG e-ring bought matching tungsten bands for her and her DH. She found that even the white tungsten did not "go" with her WG ring and ended up getting a plain band in WG instead. She wears the tungsten one to work since she is a nurse. That is my only word of caution to you regarding tungsten. I would personally get an inexpensive plain WG band until you decide if you want one with diamonds. A plain band is a really nice addition to have for those times or situations where you want less bling but still want to feel "married". I wear mine more than I thought I would.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't put tungsten next to white gold if you want the color to match. My husband's ring is tungsten, and there is a marked difference in the color of that and white gold.

ETA: Here's a pic of the two metals together.

white gold vs tungsten.jpg

mrswahs

Shiny_Rock
I think the OP is talking about White Tungsten, not the dark Tungsten Carbide.

From what I've seen of white tungsten, it's rhodium plated just like white gold is so they should match. At least that was the case with the white tungsten rings we saw when we were looking at rings for hubby. He went with the darker tungsten so he wouldn't have to worry about upkeep.

I have a dark tungsten WB I bought on Amazon for $10 that I wear when my rings are getting polished and I did try with my e-ring when I was looking for rings that I liked to determine the type of plain band I liked.

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
mrswahs|1322402492|3069460 said:
I think the OP is talking about White Tungsten, not the dark Tungsten Carbide.

From what I've seen of white tungsten, it's rhodium plated just like white gold is so they should match. At least that was the case with the white tungsten rings we saw when we were looking at rings for hubby. He went with the darker tungsten so he wouldn't have to worry about upkeep.

I have a dark tungsten WB I bought on Amazon for $10 that I wear when my rings are getting polished and I did try with my e-ring when I was looking for rings that I liked to determine the type of plain band I liked.

Yes,I'm talking about white tungsten, just the grey/gun metal color.

I love all the suggestions! especially the flat plain bands, as my ER is somewhat flat.

Any more suggestions are quite welcome. Thanks!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
can you look in person to see how the color matches?

QueenB29

Shiny_Rock
I would be worried about scratching. My husband has a Tungsten w-ring, and he wears a titanium ring on his right hand. When he washes his hands, the Tungsten always scratches the titanium. It may do the same thing to gold.

blushingbride22

Rough_Rock
My husband insisted on
Code:
<a href="http://www.tungstenworld.com/All-Tungsten-Rings/">tungsten carbide rings</a>
after he lost his first gold band and his silver replacement got so bent out of shape it wasn't round anymore. He swears by them. His is a dark grey, not the "white" tungsten, and it still shines. So it's definitely worth the price.

blushingbride22

Rough_Rock
My husband insisted on
Code:
<a href="http://www.tungstenworld.com/All-Tungsten-Rings/">tungsten carbide rings</a>
after he lost his first gold band and his silver replacement got so bent out of shape it wasn't round anymore. He swears by them. His is a dark grey, not the "white" tungsten, and it still shines. So it's definitely worth the price.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
can you order one and send it back if it doesn't match?

I ordered FI's band from Larson Jewelers and found them to have excellent customer service. I think you are able to return but you should double check before ordering.

Also, will tungsten scratch your ering? (i don't know but I would find out if that is going to be a problem)

CatrinaKitty

Rough_Rock
White tungsten might look good, though you should probably go to a jeweler instead of purchasing one online if you don't want to have to pay for shipping and handling costs. Tungsten wedding bands are usually darker in color, so white tungsten was a pleasant surprise when it came out. I would even suggest a cobalt wedding band, which is a little less hard than tungsten, but shinier.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results