shape
carat
color
clarity

tungsten carbide rings w/ precious metal inlay

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pivotalrex

Rough_Rock
I''ve researched the pros and cons of tungsten carbide and decided this is the type of wedding ring I desire. I have a few questions regarding the rings with inlays though. The inlay will either be platinum (pt950/ru) or white gold. I know over time both will show scratches. Two questions though:

1) does the inlay change color the same way that a regular ring does?
(I''m assuming so due to the oxidation factor but have not been able to locate this info)

2) I know with platinum it can usually be repolished to get rid of the patina if you want and it shouldn''t be an issue to buff out the scratches but is the same said of white gold? Considering the ring is primarily tungsten can a jeweler still replate the inlay?

boonerings

Shiny_Rock
A precious metal inlay will whiten over time just from the fine scratches and oxidation like a normal ring would. The tungsten won''t change much. When first polished out the platinum will blend in quite a lot and will contrast a little more as it gets fine scratches. White gold in such rings is not normally plated with rhodium. The white gold will have a very slight yellow color.

pivotalrex

Rough_Rock
Bruce,
Thanks for your input. I think I will go with the platinum inlay. I''ve seen platinum patina and it looks nice. I just wasn''t sure about the white gold inlay.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results