color
clarity

Tuna at subway?

Is it really tuna?

• yes

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • no

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • You can tune a guitar but you can not tuna fish.

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
With subway being in the news with a huge lawsuit the question is, Is it tuna or not?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only eat tuna salad that came from my own kitchen.
I just don't trust stuff from restaurants or a deli.

1624548926105.png

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The NYT article said that tuna DNA is really hard, if not impossible, to extract from cooked, denatured fish. It also pointed out that the complaint has been watered down from "Is it tuna at all?" to "Is it the skipjack yellowjack specially-caught [or whatever] tuna that they advertise?"

I've loved tuna sandwiches since I was a child. It's one of my all-time favorite lunches. I know what canned tuna tastes like and I love Subway's; it's the best I've found. I'm sure it's tuna, basically because it tastes exactly like it.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Never had tuna in a Subway, it is nearly always 6in Italian Herb and Cheese bread, Italian BMT, extra bacon and double cheese, toasted, with all the salads including chilli peppers, with either garlic mayo or Caesar dressing.

Boring having the same thing all the time, however, I only have a Subway once in a while.

DK :))

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It begs the question if it's not tuna, what is it?!? I love tuna and have had several tuna sandwiches from Subway. It looks, smells and tastes like tuna so I'm going with tuna!

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I heard on the news, its not Tuna. This was confirmed by a lab. Well, Subway should come clean and say what it is.

Annette

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wasnt their "chicken" over 50% soy? I'm not surprised their "tuna" isn't fully real either :lol:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I heard on the news, its not Tuna. This was confirmed by a lab. Well, Subway should come clean and say what it is.

Annette

I just did a quick Google search and it seems nothing has changed from the latest NYT report. Apparently it's very hard to get DNA from cooked, denatured tuna.

If it's not tuna, I can't imagine what they could have used to make it taste so exactly like tuna. No other fish tastes very much like it.

Last edited:
Off topic, but I had a friend whose order at subway included tuna, cheese, double toasted, with extra olives, jalapeños with mayo and honey mustard. Watching her eat that concoction once was enough to put me off subway tuna forever. The smell when it came out from the oven was unholy. I don’t mind a tuna sandwich, but bread needs to be toasted before tuna is applied, not after!

(edit: if someone else has a similar order, I’m sorry for the inadvertent order shaming).

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's too bad that the public is getting the message that "it's not tuna" rather than "we can't extract any reliable tuna DNA after the processing." No tuna DNA and non-gettable tuna DNA are two different things. So I feel a bit sorry for Subway. I have enjoyed many, many of their tuna sandwiches, which have always tasted spot-on.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is almost as exciting as whether almond milk and other non mammal generated milk should be called milk. Dairy farmers are offended by non mammal generated white liquid being called milk.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I make mine at home, mainly because I use avocado instead of mayo. Also solves this problem, if you make it you know exactly what’s in it.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I make mine at home, mainly because I use avocado instead of mayo. Also solves this problem, if you make it you know exactly what’s in it.

I have been known to use plain yogurt in mine.
I kinda hate mayo.
DH makes homemade mayo and he uses that when he makes tuna salad.

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
Off topic, but I had a friend whose order at subway included tuna, cheese, double toasted, with extra olives, jalapeños with mayo and honey mustard. Watching her eat that concoction once was enough to put me off subway tuna forever. The smell when it came out from the oven was unholy. I don’t mind a tuna sandwich, but bread needs to be toasted before tuna is applied, not after!

(edit: if someone else has a similar order, I’m sorry for the inadvertent order shaming).

I'd call that a variation on a Tuna Melt. I'm entirely with you in that I find the smell offensive, at best.

When I was young, maybe in the range of 8-10 years old, my sister and I had gone to spend a few days with our cousins, Aunt & Uncle. My Aunt cooks what I think is a chicken casserole for dinner, but when I take the first bite I realize it is in fact a tuna casserole. I've been turned off to warm tuna anything ever since! :sick:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been known to use plain yogurt in mine.
I kinda hate mayo.
DH makes homemade mayo and he uses that.

Yogurt works too! I put so much stuff in there I don’t even need bread. DH is not as adventurous ;-)

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yogurt works too! I put so much stuff in there I don’t even need bread. DH is not as adventurous ;-)

DH makes tuna salad for lunch everyday. He is a real creature of habit.
I was buying jar after jar of mayo. Then we saw a lady making homemade mayo on a cooking show. We tried it, and he loves it!

I'd call that a variation on a Tuna Melt. I'm entirely with you in that I find the smell offensive, at best.

When I was young, maybe in the range of 8-10 years old, my sister and I had gone to spend a few days with our cousins, Aunt & Uncle. My Aunt cooks what I think is a chicken casserole for dinner, but when I take the first bite I realize it is in fact a tuna casserole. I've been turned off to warm tuna anything ever since! :sick:

Oh I didn’t know that was an actual sandwich and now I feel bad for being so turned off, lol. I just can’t imagine cheese and tuna together; and I have a visceral reaction to both olives (hate them with a burning passion) and honey mustard (why would you make MUSTARD sweet)? And then you add in hot tuna. I can just imagine your reaction. I’ve been served hot tuna before (at my ex boyfriend’s place for dinner, the first time I went over) and I had to manfully grin and swallow and compliment the chef (his mom)… that was a long dinner.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is almost as exciting as whether almond milk and other non mammal generated milk should be called milk. Dairy farmers are offended by non mammal generated white liquid being called milk.

Have you ever seen a teat on an almond ?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i love a good tuna melt
Lots of cheese, onion and tuna (i don't like mayo)
Cheese and tuna yum yum

Its been years since i had tuna at subway but id be surprised if its not tuna
From what i remember it was nice except i don't like mayo
now the seafood ? Id like to know what that actually is ???

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I don't eat Subway sandwiches....period. There are so many other sandwich places like Jersey Mike's, Togos etc that are way better. I'm willing to pay a couple extra bucks more for more filling sandwich!

As for Tuna or not tuna....I just think it would probably cost more to "doctor" some other fish or filler to taste like tuna, but who knows? I thought I was getting real rib sandwich when I bought a McRib!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results