shape
carat
color
clarity

Tulipset vs Tiffany - 4 prong vs 6

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Tammy296

Rough_Rock
Ok.. I have a dilemma. We finally found the diamond. 1.5 ct. It''s gorgeous. It hasn''t been set yet and we can''t decide between a Tulipset (which looks very pretty in pictures) or a Tiffany style setting.

My finger is a size 4.5 - long and slim. Which setting would make it stand out more? It will be set in platinum.

Now onto my 2nd question. 4 prong vs 6? They say with platinum you don''t need a 6 prong if the ring is made well. But for security reasons some choose 6. Which would you choose?

Thanks!
Tammy

Confoozed

Rough_Rock
Hi Tammy!

I think its all in a matter of personal preference. A 4 prong setting will make the diamond look slighty bigger because there is more diamond showing. With a 6 prong setting, people feel that the diamond is more securely set in, but the diamond shows less. If the setting is in platinum, you have nothing to worry about with a 4 prong.

Both tulip and tiffany style settings are stunning. Of course again, its all a matter of personal preference. I personally like the tiffany style setting over the tulip setting! Just my two cents!

All the best to you!
wavey.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have my stone tulipset with a 4 prong and its very pretty. I like it better than regular Tiffany-style 4 prongs because they tend to have sharper edges and/or a more blunt look to it for the most part. More boxy or something. My setting head is slightly more detailed, and the edges of the prongs are more curvy and softer looking. It shows off the stone beautifully, at an angle you can see all the edges of the diamond as it lays suspended. Kind of cool. My setting head also allows enough room for this (important) as I have seen similar settings where the diamong is almost too big for the head and almost touches the inside of the head and then it is hard to clean AND the diamond itself is not as visible...not as much fun IMO!

1.gif

champell

Rough_Rock
Hi Mara!

I am completely new to this board so you will not recognize my name!!!
1.gif
I read your post about the Tulip setting... I have fallen totally in love with the Tulip setting and was hoping that you could tell me where I could get one.

Thanks!

Champell

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Chan--we had our ring custom made and didn't specify what sort of head we wanted, but I think you can just pretty much specify you want a tulip-set type head when you get your setting. Or tell a jeweler you are looking for a setting with a tulip-set head OR a tulip option then take a look at what they show you. Or if you make it custom, specify as well. It's not a 'rare' head, so I wouldn't see a problem trying to find a setting with it.

Also our setting is not the traditional tulip-set (with spaces between the prongs almost) but more of a solid looking tulip-set type head but still with the soft rounding of the prongs as they meet the metal at the bottom of the head...so you may be able to find something like that as well. I have some side'view pix around the boards somewhere.

http://www.jewelryexpert.com/catalog/tulipset.htm
Interesting pix and notes on tulip set.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results