shape
carat
color
clarity

Tucson 2017

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hey anyone going? I am, it would be fun to meet up!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where is the jealous emoji?!! You lucky gal! Have a blast and please take good pics if you feel up to it. :))

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thanks Minousbijoux - honestly I'm excited and a little nervous. Everyone says it's overwhelming! I have a budget in mind, and a few types of stones that I will be on the lookout for, but I'm also seeing it as an educational first-time Tucson trip. I'm hoping that I can go every year, since I don't live too far away (long but do-able driving distance).

I'd really love to meet up with other gem-a-holics from PS! I think it would be so fun to team up and shop together, and get another seasoned eye for making decisions! So if anyone else is thinking of going, let me know. I'll be there Feb 1-5.

Also, I will try to take photos as much as possible and post them here. I heard some shows you can't photograph, we will see...

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Count me as jealous as well! Happy hunting, and.. Pics!! :)

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you tell me where it is, and what it is officially called? I may be up there at that time. My daughter lives with her family in Rio Rico and I may be driving up.

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi Luv2sparkle - The Tucson Gem and Mineral Show is the name, if you google that you'll find more info. It's the world's largest gem and mineral event. It runs from late January through mid February. There are dozens of individual shows at different locations all over Tucson. It pretty much takes over Tucson, I think about 50,000 people or more come for the shows.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My husband said I could go with my mom, but it would be a BIG trip from NY, and I'm afraid I'd come back broke.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are so lucky!!!! Take lots of pics if you can!!!!

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
HI Tourmaline - it could be a great time to escape the weather in NY ;-) The hotel rooms are the biggest travel expense for me. I booked a couple months ago, and the rates were already going up. I think I'll book a year in advance if I can for next year, maybe do an AirBnB.

There's a huge price range at Tucson. I've heard people's stories of getting unbelievable deals, and then there are the high end shows with top dealers and top stones, with prices to match. I'll be looking for the great deals! Tourmaline is actually at the top of my list, along with spinel and some rare stones. I'd also like to find some crystals and specimens for my collection.

Thanks Arkieb! I do feel lucky. I've wanted to go for years and years. And will definitely take photos to share. I've been scouring the internet for photos and videos from past years, and while I found some, there is definitely a lack here on PS. We need more pics, always!

Happy New Year everyone!

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You may be surprised just how few gemstones you actually see. The high end gemstones will be at the AGTA and GJX shows, both of which are closed to the public, only members of the trade are allowed in. Many of the other shows you will find are a mix of:

Mineral specimens
Fossils
Beads... enough to string around the earth!
Tools
Large rocks for cutting slabs
Oriental rugs
Furniture
Very cheap jewelry (kind of thing you see at the checkout at Forever 21)
Clothes
Bathroom sinks carved from stone
Stone carvings of Buda and various other things
Bowls made of stone
Gemstones
Rough gemstones
All kinds of other crazy stuff

Most of the shows of interest for gems will be along Highway 10 on the west side.

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thanks Gene for the list. I love that you put "bathroom sinks carved from stone" - that's one item I was actually going to look for :lol: !!!

Seriously, we are doing a bathroom remodel soon and I think a stone sink would be super cool. I even saw some tubs carved from stone in some videos of the show, can you imagine? Bathing in a rose quartz bathtub??!!

I'm hoping to get into the AGTA show with a gem vendor friend, otherwise I will also check out the locations you mentioned along the west side of Hwy 10. Is the Pueblo/Riverpark hotel show a good one for gems? Do you have any other recommendations?

rose_quartz_tub.jpeg

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes the Pueblo show is one of the best. Just directly south of the Riverpark in the tents in the parking lot, you will find some bathroom sinks carved from stone, and also north at the Days Inn behind the hotel.
I think the AGTA is pretty fussy about trade members bringing non trade into the show.

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I'm on my way to Tucson, be there for a few days. Super excited! :dance:

Just a shout out, any other PSers going? Any last minute advice?

meladori

Rough_Rock
I live in NYC too, and I'm super jealous. Have fun and post lots of pictures for us!

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
desertrose I'm looking forward to your report and pictures!!!!!

I've been enjoying vicariously though vendors who are there and posting pictures on fb, Instagram and Twitter

Jeff White posted picture of amazing precious topaz rough from Pakistan in pink and peach!!
Gene Flanagan posted so many stunning pictures of rough on twitter
Yvonne Raley has been posting pics on Facebook and Instagram. And she has started posting items to her etsy store. I already bought some Russian demantoids 2 and 3 mm. I just cannot resist :love:

Here are a few pics. While we are waiting for desertrose to post, what have you seen, heard or bought?

I couldn't get the Jeff white pic to upload. I'll try again later

img_4505.png

img_32.png

img_33.png

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sungura, I've been doing the same. I didn't see that rough from Gene though...wowza! :love:

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Same here!

Gene has a baggie of "mahenge rhodolite" in there that would be great to see closeups of ;-)

ElizabethR

Shiny_Rock
I'm jealous too. I'd love to go to that show. Have fun! :wavey:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dang, look at all those goodies. :love:
Keep posting pics. I love following your trip.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those emeralds!!! :o

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Desertrose, read the trade policies.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results