shape
carat
color
clarity

TTLB melee diamonds, please help!

KarenD

Rough_Rock
Ok, so I found this online vendor for melee diamonds, he has a large selection and it looks really interesting. However, can anyone enlighten me about TTLB diamonds as opposed to white diamonds? I can see the TTLB are much cheaper however does it look as good in a setting?
Thanks!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TTLB = Top Top Light Brown

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
KarenD|1449134832|3956817 said:
Ok, so I found this online vendor for melee diamonds, he has a large selection and it looks really interesting. However, can anyone enlighten me about TTLB diamonds as opposed to white diamonds? I can see the TTLB are much cheaper however does it look as good in a setting?
Thanks!

Hi
TTLB is a trade term for 'top top light brown' - - these are a lower colour quality (outside of the normally used commercial J+ white goods) --- colour is K-L-Mish with a brown body colour rather than yellow.
I don't tend to use them in my designs, but if you like the earthy aesthetics of the brown colours, you can make some really nice pieces using these goods.
Here in Australia, they tend to be used by the big retail chain stores in their 9kt jewellery to hit a certain price point (although browns have fallen out of favour in the last few years, and there's been more of a switch to either white pique, or K-L-M with a yellow rather than brown hue.)
And yes, they are significantly cheaper than J+ melee.
Hope this helps

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
They are fine in yellow gold.
In white gold/plat they may bug some people.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
True Top light Brown is amazing. It sets beautifully. Stones of this color are equivalent to about J-K- but as opposed to a yellow tint, the brown tint is much harder to see. Such stones will cost about what J-K meleé cost
The issue people sometimes face is that this grade is assigned by the vendor as opposed to GIA

There are many shades of brown, and what some may call TTLB others may describe as medium brown, which would be closer to M-N equivalent. The difference is startling.
SO_ it really depends on who is calling it TTLB and exactly how TT is is:)

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Rockdiamond|1449165783|3956958 said:
There are many shades of brown, and what some may call TTLB others may describe as medium brown, which would be closer to M-N equivalent. The difference is startling.
SO_ it really depends on who is calling it TTLB and exactly how TT is is:)

I agree with Rockdiamond that there is a BIG range - - i was a diamond merchant to the trade before going retail, and what we called TTLB looked almost colourless when compared to what some others were trying to pass off as TTLB.
So ultimately, just make sure you're comfortable with the colour & price, regardless of what they're being called, before you buy.

KarenD

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys, this was amazingly helpful!
Any vendors to recommend?

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
KarenD|1449389482|3958164 said:
Thanks guys, this was amazingly helpful!
Any vendors to recommend?

Unless you're in Aus...nope...sorry :((

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results