shape
carat
color
clarity

Tsavorites!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m still shopping around for tsavorites and came across this one. It looks really dark in the picture but the video shows a very bright and green stone. What do you all think? It''s on sale right now too.
http://www.lapigems.com/gemstonedetails.asp?id=2428

TSVC1032extra2.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s 2.15 cts and graded by their local GG as G6/5 so it''s a pure green of medium dark tone and vivid saturation.
Measuring 7.07 x 6.52x 5.57 mm.
No risk other than a $30 shipping fee.

I''m still looking at a few other tsavorites including one at Swala too.

TSVC1032extra3.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the Swala tsavorite. I''ve asked for better pictures since I know he takes not so good pictures sometimes. I hope it''s just the camera darkness that''s causing a shadow in the middle, and not the dreaded extinction.
It''s also 2.15 cts and measures 7.1 x 7.1 x 5.3 mm

Swalatsav.jpg

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I like the pictures you posted more than the pics on the website. But whats with the dark area in the center of the stone?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/29/2009 6:16:58 PM
Author: innerkitten
I like the pictures you posted more than the pics on the website. But whats with the dark area in the center of the stone?
No idea. That''s something I have to ask.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
I like the top one better. The cutting seems "crisper".

Great shape, also. Someone said that they like their cushions a bit towards rectangle, not perfectly square, as when perfectly square it can seem a touch towards a round shape. I think I agree.

What are you plans for it?

Dark green is such an elegant color. I do wish colors weren''t a deceptive as they can be on webpage, though.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
ahh I have to admit, when I saw that you started this thread, Chrono, I was thinking that you had finally chosen your tsav!

I agree about the first- the video looks gorgeous, while the actual photo appears a bit dark. I don''t know much about lapigems. Do they have a good reputation?

I saw that one at swala too. It looks nice, except for that odd darkness issue. I would say some further questioning would be helpful in both cases.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Between the 2, I love the one from lapigems . . . the video sold it for me.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
They both have a nice color. I like the cut on the first one, but I have the same question about the dark spot in the middle. It shows up on the video too.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I like the first one - but it seems rather deep to me.

It''s very hard to not get tilt extinction with tsavs - and it looks way worse in photographs than it does IRL. I''d ask for some more photos - maybe some in direct sunlight as well.

Colour-wise it looks great!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Doesn''t Swala have any rough they can cut for you as well? They talk about owning a tsavorite mine.

As far as Lapigems goes, I''ve heard LovingDiamonds sing their praises for the tanzanite she has purchased from them. I''m not sure about the quality of their tsavorite. They also have a private stash that they only show priviledged members, so maybe you can ask them about what they have that is not listed on the site.

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/29/2009 6:05:42 PM
Author: Chrono
It''s 2.15 cts and graded by their local GG as G6/5 so it''s a pure green of medium dark tone and vivid saturation.

Be careful. Return conditions on their site specify insured shipping to Kenya, which may be difficult to do for high insured values. I''m sure they ask for it honestly to protect both you and themselves, and they may be ok if you ship tracked but uninsured (FedEx?), however clear it with them before you commit.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My gut feeling is that the stone might be cut a tad bit too deep, and suffer from some extinction because of it. However, I do not claim at all be a tsavorite expert (quite far from it actually), but I thought I''d chime in anyways FWIW. All of the tsavorites I''ve seen in person seem to easily suffer from extinction if inprecisely cut, but it could just be the fact that I''ve never seen a really really good one in person.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/30/2009 5:47:51 AM
Author: oldmancoyote

Date: 3/29/2009 6:05:42 PM
Author: Chrono

Be careful. Return conditions on their site specify insured shipping to Kenya, which may be difficult to do for high insured values. I''m sure they ask for it honestly to protect both you and themselves, and they may be ok if you ship tracked but uninsured (FedEx?), however clear it with them before you commit.
OMC,
For returns, I will ship Fedex and Lapigems will insure it. I have confirmation of this in an email.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/30/2009 1:31:56 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
My gut feeling is that the stone might be cut a tad bit too deep, and suffer from some extinction because of it. However, I do not claim at all be a tsavorite expert (quite far from it actually), but I thought I''d chime in anyways FWIW. All of the tsavorites I''ve seen in person seem to easily suffer from extinction if inprecisely cut, but it could just be the fact that I''ve never seen a really really good one in person.
That is quite possible. Their explanation is that that is the shadow from the lighting and camera. The rep has already promised new pictures AND a new video shot where the camera and light will be repositioned as though it is the viewer looking at it for a more accurate representation.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/30/2009 12:11:31 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Doesn''t Swala have any rough they can cut for you as well? They talk about owning a tsavorite mine.

As far as Lapigems goes, I''ve heard LovingDiamonds sing their praises for the tanzanite she has purchased from them. I''m not sure about the quality of their tsavorite. They also have a private stash that they only show priviledged members, so maybe you can ask them about what they have that is not listed on the site.
Yes, Swala did brag about owning their own mine but complained that clean tsavorites of top colour (no yellow and with blue undertone) of 2 carats and upwards are extremely rare. Eric also promised me better pictures next week. I guess I''ll know more about both Lapigems and Swala''s stone then.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrono,

Both of Eric''s claims are true.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Excellent news; this is what I get for asking the vendors if they have more stones other than what''s posted:

Lapigems: They have a slightly larger and less deep tsavorite with the same colour as the 2.15 ct stone. It''s 2.4 ct and measures 7.4 x 6.95 x 5.3 mm Yippee! More pictures coming soon.

Swala: More and better pictures coming tomorrow.

I''m so excited, it''s like waiting to open presents on Christmas day.
9.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also have more eye candy for everyone:
Lapigem''s 2.15 ct tsavorite (even though I''m passing on it due to the depth).

TSVC1032 custom.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results