shape
carat
color
clarity

Tsavorite ring help

porkandham

Rough_Rock
distracts - Thank you for posting the link. It's a really pretty setting, but I'd prefer something plainer.

porkandham

Rough_Rock
I stopped by the jewelers today. She suggested haloing either the tsavorite or the half moons but not both, since I don't want it to be overly blingy. Thoughts?

The price she quoted for 5x3 half moons seems high. It was a max of $2540, but it might be a bit less. I feel like I can do better buying them online myself. Can anyone recommend online vendors for matched pairs?

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't wait to see this set. I think the halo with side stones would be stunning. Bring on the bling!

porkandham

Rough_Rock
derbygirl - Thank you!

qubitasaurus - Thank you for the link! I looked at Africagems, but they didn't have the sale info up yet. That helps! I'll check out Lebish too.

porkandham

Rough_Rock
Should I go with 5x3 or 5.3 x 3.3? Will the difference in size make a difference with my stone?

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The dimensions of the main stone are quite different from the dimensions of the side stones. If I was trying to choose, then I would cut some semi-circles out of paper to see if I liked the look. (I might also open up something like adobe illustrator or ink scape to play arround with the proportions).

If you don't like 5×3 next to your centre stone, then I am a bit worried you wont like 5.3×3.3 either.

porkandham

Rough_Rock
It's not that I didn't like the 5x3. I thought the price I was quoted was high, so I'm on the hunt for something less expensive. Sadly I don't know how to use either of those programs.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Actually they are really easy to learn -- I am one of the least artistically gifted individuals, and it only took like 1.5 hours of youtube videos to get the very basics for ink scape. I am still totally hopeless, but it is enough to help me visualize.

I mocked it up for you, but the picture is so tinny, that the magnified image pricescope displays is a bit blurry. Next time I will remember to scale it up.

--edited to say the magnified version is a bit deceptive, in the actual file the difference doesn't looked particularly pronounced on my screen.

_38626.jpg

porkandham

Rough_Rock
qubitasaurus - Thank you so much for that image! I really appreciate you taking the time to do that.

The more I think about it, I'm thinking I don't want to halo the stones at all. I feel like maybe it's too blingy for an everyday right hand ring. Not doing the halo will also save me $800-1000! So maybe I need the bigger side stones to keep it from being too dainty.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think what you're planing sounds really lovely -- the 5.3×3.3 halfmoons sound great.

porkandham

Rough_Rock
qubitasaurus- Thank you!

porkandham

Rough_Rock
My half moons from Africa Gems arrived yeaterday! Sorry for the dreadful picture. It was taken with my iPhone late last night. The tsavorite is much prettier in real life. Any last minute thoughts before I get them set?

img_0540_0.jpg

LawmaLlama

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous. The proportions look great.
No additional thoughts here. Did your jeweler say stuller setting will work?

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is such an exciting ring project. I love the half moon sizes. :love:

porkandham

Rough_Rock
LawmaLlama - Thank you! She said the Stuller wouldn't work, but now I don't remember why. We talked about so many different things!

derbygal - Thank you!

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Years ago I found my dream tsav at my local jeweler but we were broke back then and couldn't afford it. I have never gotten over that ring. It was an oval, 3.25 carat with a diamond halo. Seeing yours in the making inspires me, so thanks again for sharing.

LawmaLlama

Shiny_Rock
porkandham|1480632831|4104141 said:
LawmaLlama - Thank you! She said the Stuller wouldn't work, but now I don't remember why. We talked about so many different things!

Are you going custom with a ps vendor?
I can't wait to see how this turns out.

porkandham

Rough_Rock
LawmaLlama|1480633628|4104145 said:
porkandham|1480632831|4104141 said:

Are you going custom with a ps vendor?
I can't wait to see how this turns out.

No, I'm using someone local. I'm going to stop by tomorrow and drop off the stones. The ring should be ready in early January.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the half moon side stones combination, and I am looking forward to see the finished ring.

DK :))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
porkandham|1480639624|4104156 said:
No, I'm using someone local. I'm going to stop by tomorrow and drop off the stones. The ring should be ready in early January.
Make sure that you are satisfied with the quality of the local shop's work by looking at all their custom jewellery. Also confirm that they have a soft enough hand to set a garnet. Do you have insurance in case they chip the stone?

porkandham

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1480682465|4104267 said:
porkandham|1480639624|4104156 said:
Make sure that you are satisfied with the quality of the local shop's work by looking at all their custom jewellery. Also confirm that they have a soft enough hand to set a garnet. Do you have insurance in case they chip the stone?

I have total confidence in this shop. They've done custom work for me before. I'm in a major city with lots of options, but I use them because I've always been happy with their work.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The combination looks perfect in every way...can't wait to see the finished piece!

porkandham

Rough_Rock
They sent me images of the ring. I'm not sure I'm sold on the band. Thoughts?

img_0081.jpg

LawmaLlama

Shiny_Rock
I don't have experience with cad images, but I agree with you about the band. To me, the half moons are lost, it's a little too busy. Maybe lose the pave? Or if you are wanting pave, then scrap the split shank and go with a dainty single shank. I think one or the other has to go so the half moons stand out more. I can barely tell they are there.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or maybe micropave with smaller prongs? I agree that its hard to see the half moons unfortunately. :(sad

porkandham

Rough_Rock
LawmaLlama and minousbijjoux - Thank you for chiming in!

I went in today and the head designer and owner both agreed it wasn't quite right. Part of the problem is that the CAD drawings tend to look very prong-y. I went back and looked at the drawing of a ring they made for me fairly recently and the finished ring, and the ring much more delicate and refined than it looks in the drawing. She suggested bezeling the half moons to make them appear larger and widening the split on the shank.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not great on looking at CADs and seeing the final product. I don't like that the side stones seem to get lost in the band. What about going without the split shank...just one band (with diamonds, of course :naughty: ).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results