shape
carat
color
clarity

Tsavorite hunting... (pictures)

apropos

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Think I should start with a quick intro - my name's A, and I'm from Australia. I'm currently in the market for a medium dark green stone for a ring for my better half, and have been lurking on this forum, reading, for what seems like weeks. As in literally reading every day - for hours. I've learnt quite a bit, but as I gear up to actually make a purchase I'm getting the heebie jeebies... I'll be honest, maybe I need some hand holding for this first purchase.

We've done some due diligence and have been out and about to look at tsavorites in real life. The vast majority I see are medium toned, and come with a brown modifier, making them look olive green. I do not like that. The better ones come with a yellowish cast which while making them look a little brighter, also make them look a bit like dishwashing liquid (to me, don't kill me).

So, anyway, I've come across this stone - what do you all think? I'm after something in the 2-3 carat range, medium dark colour, with a hint of a blue modifier. This seems to fulfill that.

Is this stone "OK"?

tsavorit-tsavorite4.png

tsavorit-tsavorite4d.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The most highly desired tsavorites are a rich medium dark with a hint of blue. Yellowish tsavorites should be priced much lower as it isn't as prized as a pure chrome green. Olive "happens" when the tsavorite isn't strongly saturated. Since tsavorite is a very sparkly gem, I would opt for a busier cut than shown to take full advantage of this. Do you have any hand shots?

apropos

Rough_Rock
Thank you Chrono for your reply.

Hand shots have been requested, awaiting seller reply at present.

I understand that my selection criteria happen to (sadly) coincide with the "industry preference". :(sad That said, hope springs eternal and I am willing to go to a medium green instead, but with a blue modifier. I seem to recall seeing your tsavo somewhere, and I thought that was a nice cushion cut with the medium green I like.

The "best" would be an emerald/octagon cut as my better half is not a fan of "sparkle"... which is not to say that she likes "dead" extinct stones!! She just likes a splash of colour on her finger, and the occasional flash of a non-brilliant cut.

Beth_Chloefan

Rough_Rock
That is devine. The color is amazing

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's an octagonal stone that I considered years ago as a teaser since you mentioned this shape. :cheeky:

gr-1x.jpg

apropos

Rough_Rock
2 more - natural daylight.

tsavorit-tsavorite4a.png

tsavorit-tsavorite4b.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is quite lovely although different. How is the shift indoors? This is where the tsavorite usually "makes or breaks" it, either staying green, showing yellow, olive or its blue side.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I think you should hold out for a better stone. I personally like the elegant lines in an emerald cut, though I admit a radiant would be more lively. This stone, however, looks generally drab to me, at least in the photos. It comes off more as a common closed green tourmaline. I have no problem with those, have one that in the same cut that I love ( finewatergems.com ), but I would be loathe to pay tsavorite prices for a stone that performs like that.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VapidLapid|1367337080|3437390 said:
I think you should hold out for a better stone. I personally like the elegant lines in an emerald cut, though I admit a radiant would be more lively. This stone, however, looks generally drab to me, at least in the photos. It comes off more as a common closed green tourmaline. I have no problem with those, have one that in the same cut that I love ( finewatergems.com ), but I would be loathe to pay tsavorite prices for a stone that performs like that.

This, exactly.

It seems closed and I would worry it would often become too dark to enjoy. Also, it really appears to be more of a pure green than to have the coveted bluish secondary.

apropos

Rough_Rock
The hue is just right. I like this colour. To my eyes it is a green, with a slight hint of blue in some photos.

The tone is overdark - there is a 'sooty' quality to the stone which makes it look "closed", and I'm sure you guys have picked up the line of extinction running down the middle.

The saturation is not quite there, which lends a hint IMO of a drab appearance despite its nice colour. But any drabness is too much for a stone at this price.

I've gone off and had a bit of a think about this stone - it is pretty, but I will pass on it. There will always be more stones.

I agree that the emerald cut is a redonkulously elegant shape, and think for a tsavorite a hybrid cut looks great - one that incorporates the step cut crown of the emerald cut with any pavilion cut that allows the superior sparkle of the tsavorite to manifest. I mistakenly termed this hybrid cut an "octagon" cut in an earlier post.

I'd be curious as to what the CS gurus think of this snap colour assessment, and my other thoughts.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results