shape
carat
color
clarity

Trying to learn: mirror like sharp luster vs. "orient"?

nojs

Shiny_Rock
Dear knowledgeable members, can you please tell a newbie if sharp mirror like luster and "orient" (iridescence) are somewhat mutually exclusive. I have small copper-lavender FWP (sadly I have lost the other pair) which is like a mirror. Then I have larger pair of similarly colored FWP earrings that have nice luster, but not quite as mirror like, but they have much nicer orients.

Are these qualities mutually exclusive or are we just talking about the odds (finding a pearls with both super "mirror" _and_ super nice orient)?

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are not mutually exclusive but the best orient is found in non-round pearls.

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
I don't think mirror like luster and orient are mutually exclusive.

However, the mirror like luster is going to be on the surface of the pearl. Like the metallic pearls.

While orient sort of shimmers from a few layers of nacre deeper into the pearl, if that makes sense.

Mirror is going to be a sharp reflection of yourself when you look at the pearl.
Orient is going to be the way the colors shift and change as your viewing angle changes. This is different from the color of the pearl itself, which won't change as your viewing angle changes.

I have natural white Hanadamas from PP which have both a mirror like luster, super shiny, and incredible orient.
The Hamantaschen (the triangle pearl) is also super shiny and has amazing orient.
This is not a good photo. It was taken in a car.

img_0769.jpg

Orient. Those colors aren't actually there. The pearl is white.

img_0684.jpg

Tahitian pearl with mirror like luster, but the colors don't shift.
Those are horizontal bands of color, not orient.

img_0833.jpg

nojs

Shiny_Rock
Great info, thank you BWeaves and pearlsngems!

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
BWeaves|1461803557|4024379 said:
Orient. Those colors aren't actually there. The pearl is white.

img_0684.jpg

The Hamantaschen is so cool. I love that! Where did you find the pearl? Your jewelry added the diamond, correct? I love how it floats.

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
I bought the Hamantaschen pearl and the Swan pearl from Pacific Pearls. It's the sister vendor to Kojima Pearls.

http://shop.pacificpearls.us/collections/all?page=3

On page 3 of their website are the twin sister pearls to the Hamantaschen, although they are actually much bigger. Pacific Pearls had recommended them to me as a good match, and I was tempted to get them for earrings, but when they showed me a comparison photo, I realized that they were much too big for my ears, as they are actually much bigger than the Hamantaschen.

I have a local jeweler who set the Hamantaschen and the Swan in pendants for me. My jeweler added the diamonds and the palladium settings. Most of Pacific Pearls inventory is unfinished strands and loose pearls, although there are a few pieces that are finished jewelry.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results