shape
carat
color
clarity

Trying to find out more about vintage Jerusalem necklace.

GreatFind

Rough_Rock
My grandmother gave me this necklace and earrings that is the Jerusalem cross.

She said it has been in the family for well over a century.

However, I have no clue about it , and was hoping someone could help me uncover it's history.

I understand that many of these are still made today. I believe that mine is of great age, and maybe great importance.

This is my first post by the way, so I am eager to hear what you think.

Thank you!

img_9458.jpg

img_9453.jpg

img_9449.jpg

img_9457.jpg

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Re: Trying to find out more about vintage Jerusalem necklace

That is so special and beautiful...sorry I don't know anything about it though.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think the 900 means Sterling Silver.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is a lovely set!
I'm thinking these were made for the tourist trade, because the stamps "Jerusalem" and "Silver" are in English.
Also, the earring backs seem more modern and lead me to believe that these earrings date 1920s-1960s
Tekate is right, the mark 900 refers to the silver purity, pure silver being 1000. The pieces marked 900, are 10% alloy, like zinc or nickel.
I saw quite a few on Ebay selling in the $200 range.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think Stracci is right - this was made for the tourist trade - the "Jerusalem" cross is a very popular tourist souvenir even today. Several blogs note that that style of earring back was patented in 1934. It is of course possible that it was in use before it was patented, but it's more likely that your earrings were made sometime after 1934. http://collectingvintagejewelry.blogspot.com/2009/02/collecting-vintage-jewelry-part-8.html It's possible that the pendant and earrings were bought at separate times. Likely, even, since they're slightly different styles (look at the end of each of the "arms) and different metal compositions.

Whatever its age, your set is lovely. I love that the back is of the pendant is engraved, as well as the unique chain that would call attention to a lovely neck. I hope you'll enjoy wearing them!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results