shape
carat
color
clarity

Trying to decide please help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

herky1

Rough_Rock
I am trying to negotiate a better price on the folowing 2 stones and being a novice at best any help would be greatly appreciated. The stone chosen will be the center stone in a three diamond engagement ring. Both are AGS certified RB stones that I have photocopies of the certs. on. Stone 2 I have seen stone 1 I have not. The asking price currently is $6400-$6500 on each stone which seems high to me any help on which stone sounds better on paper and what a fair price might be would be a great help. Note stone 1 is a VS1 and 2 is VS2. I am being told by my jewler that in searching for the best .90 pt SI1 G color RB that these are the closest matchs he could find. He stated that his dealers are telling him the Si1''s are in big demand now and the premium for VS2 and VS1 are minimal 2% per clarity level at best. Thanks in advance for any help anyone might be able to give.

Stone 1
.92 carats
meas. 6.24-6.28 x 3.83
AGS 000
Color G
VS1
table 56
depth 61.1
crown angle 35.0
pav. angle 40.6
culet pointed
girdle 1.0-2.1%
Flour inert

stone 2
.92 carats
meas. 6.21-6.23 x 3.89
AGS 000
Color G
VS2
table 55%
depth 62.5
crown angle 35.0
pav angle 40.8
culet pointed
girdle 1.0-1.9%
flour inert

adiamond4sale

Rough_Rock
to pay $6500 for less then a carat is to match $$$$$$$$

herky1

Rough_Rock
I realize the $6,400-$6,500 is too much but what would be a fair discount given these descriptions? 10%,15% what? again any help or analysis on prcie or quality would be appreciated.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi--Both stones sound pretty good actually. Here are my comments...

Stone #1 scored an 0.8 on the HCA with EX,EX,EX,VG scoring
Stone #2 scored 1.6 on the HCA with EX,EX,EX,VG scoring

Both scores are under 2.0 which is excellent. You may think that since one scores better than the other that there will be a huge difference in the looks, that may or may not be the case. If you have seen the 2nd stone and loves it...then the first stone will likely look just as good, if not better ...depending on what you like to see.

That said...I ran a search for comparitive stones on Pricescope and the pricing for a stone similar to the ones you are looking at should retail for around $4500-4700 for online pricing. I found a 0.92 G VS1 sounding pretty similar to yours (same stone maybe if you are buying online?) for $4600. There was also a .92 G VS2 stone with the same specs for $4700.

If you are looking at a B&M store..you may get a slight markup, but you should be able to negotiate it down pretty close to the internet pricing if the B&M dealer is willing to discuss it. $6500 is too much to pay for either of those stones in my opinion. Would try to negotiate around $5k if you can.

Good luck! Both stones should be quite beautiful, if you feel more comfortable with the stone you have actually seen, you may feel inclined to lean more towards that stone...so if you can get the pricing down, it could be a winner!
1.gif
Congrats--great choices.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Herky, both seem like very nice stones. Following is the DiamCalc light return analysis on both sets of specs, along with simulated IdealScope images. The G/VS1 with it's 40.7' pavilion angle appears to be the winner.

The $6500 price tag is very fair for most bricks & mortar operations, but it probably could be purchased for less on the internet. If you like the fellow you're dealing with, and he would entertain cutting you a break, I see no reason not to deal with him. Perhaps he might consider taking 10% or 15% less. If so, I would think he's being very reasonable. If not, the internet's always an option. There's some great guys to do business with on here.

.............................................G/VS1......................................G/VS2.............
Light Return Mono…….....Very Good 1.00............Very Good 0.98
Light Return Stereo……….Very Good 0.97.............Very Good 0.97
(Non) Leakage Mono……...Very Good 0.98.............Very Good to Good 0.91
(Non) Leakage Stereo…….Very Good 0.98.............Very Good to Good 0.92
Contrast………….......…....Very Good 1.00............Very Good 0.96
(Non) Fisheye Effect……..Very Good 1.00............Very Good 1.00

-----------
IdealScope- In general, the darker pink areas indicate areas of greater light return, with the lighter pink areas indicating areas of lesser light return. The black areas indicate areas of greater contrast, with the gray areas indicating areas of lesser contrast. The white areas indicate areas of light leakage. A good explanation of the IdealScope image along with examples can be found at https://www.pricescope.com/idealscope_indx.asp

Disclaimer- The facet arrangement and symmetry of the image will probably vary from your actual diamond, which may affect the light performance indicated. The image shown has perfect symmetry, which is rare, and the star facet/lower girdle facet lengths may vary from your diamond. The computer simulation is reproduced best when the actual diamond is being viewed and the image "tweaked" to the appearance of the diamond, or when the Sarin data is downloaded directly into the program. However, this "blind" reproduction should be helpful in indicating the major light performance aspects.
-----------

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
0.92 G VS2. Notice the slight light leakage inside the table. Not the end of the world, but definitely not as good a performance as the G VS1.

Be sure and confirm these observations with your own eyes. That is the final test.

0.92 G VS2.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rich has all the cool toys.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results