shape
carat
color
clarity

Trying to decide on whether to upgrade for our 10 year anniversary... Help?

Bloomx0

Rough_Rock
Hi!

My husband and I's 10 year anniversary is this month. I am trying to decide if we are going to "upgrade" my bridal set or just buy an anniversary band. Either way I am not trading in my original set - as it is sentimental to us.

I keep going back and forth on what to do. While I like my original set, my style has changed throughout the years. All my other jewelry I wear now is rose gold, except my original set that is white gold.

I love the idea of a rose gold moissanite oval solitaire with half eternity band of some sorts. But, deep down I feel guilty that my original set will just be sitting in a drawer or that I am even considering wearing something else in the first place.

So, my other option is that I could just buy a fun rose gold band to go with my original ring and mix metals on both hands somehow to tie it in. But I will be honest that I find it difficult to figure out a band that will look good paired with my three row micro pave setting of my original ring.

Any advice? I know I am probably overthinking everything but my husband is no help either lol.

Would you "upgrade" to the solitaire moissanite ? or simply get a new band for my original ring? Any suggestions?

Thank you!!

My Original Engagement Ring:
ring.jpg

Inspiration from Etsy for what I am eyeing:
206922270_868843707056447_3212059449271430452_n.jpg

mandaluv1119

Rough_Rock
Like you, I'm a "rose gold person" and my original wedding set is white gold (I didn't want to commit to rose gold, which was very trendy at the time, for a "forever" piece of jewelry). I recently got an upgrade set in rose gold. This time I allowed myself to get exactly what I wanted without regard to trends and whether I would still love it in 40 years. I have no sentimental attachment to the new setting so I can always change it up down the road if I want to. Now I can alternate between my white and rose gold sets depending on what looks best with what I'm wearing.

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
I upgraded my yellow gold e-ring and wedding band about 10 years after we got married to a platinum set but kept my original diamond. And for a long time, the original set just sat in my jewelry box. But unlike many others I don't have that same emotional attachment to it as I took it, along with many other yellow gold pieces, to trade in for cash.

And recently for our 25th anniversary I swapped out my original diamond for a new, much better cut diamond. So at this time nothing that sits on my left ring finger is original to the day we got married. And I'm perfectly fine with that because I look down at that finger and love what I see and feel that it represents my marriage just as much as my original set did.

Given you do have that emotional attachment, what about taking your original e-ring stone and having it reset in a rosegold setting? Would having your original stone on your finger be enough?

If not, I happen to think rose gold looks lovely paired with white gold. I have a rose gold Cartier love wedding band that I sometimes wear on my left finger with my platinum set and think the colors go well together.

Bloomx0

Rough_Rock
Like you, I'm a "rose gold person" and my original wedding set is white gold (I didn't want to commit to rose gold, which was very trendy at the time, for a "forever" piece of jewelry). I recently got an upgrade set in rose gold. This time I allowed myself to get exactly what I wanted without regard to trends and whether I would still love it in 40 years. I have no sentimental attachment to the new setting so I can always change it up down the road if I want to. Now I can alternate between my white and rose gold sets depending on what looks best with what I'm wearing.

I do love the idea of having the option to switch out, though knowing myself I won't do it as often as I pretend I would lol. I do love the idea of getting something that I won't be as sentimentally attached to, so if I change styles again it won't be a huge deal.

Bloomx0

Rough_Rock
I upgraded my yellow gold e-ring and wedding band about 10 years after we got married to a platinum set but kept my original diamond. And for a long time, the original set just sat in my jewelry box. But unlike many others I don't have that same emotional attachment to it as I took it, along with many other yellow gold pieces, to trade in for cash.

And recently for our 25th anniversary I swapped out my original diamond for a new, much better cut diamond. So at this time nothing that sits on my left ring finger is original to the day we got married. And I'm perfectly fine with that because I look down at that finger and love what I see and feel that it represents my marriage just as much as my original set did.

Given you do have that emotional attachment, what about taking your original e-ring stone and having it reset in a rosegold setting? Would having your original stone on your finger be enough?

If not, I happen to think rose gold looks lovely paired with white gold. I have a rose gold Cartier love wedding band that I sometimes wear on my left finger with my platinum set and think the colors go well together.

My husband is more sentimental about my ring than I am - which in turn I think makes me more sentimental about it. He is actually more attached to the setting itself. He chose it on his own and has always been happy with the choice.
If I am being honest, style wise, I am not too fond of a princess cut any longer - so resetting it may not be worth it. I am also not certain he would want me to change the original ring much because of his sentimental feelings. I know deep down that my heart would feel better if I kept wearing the original but I also am lusting after that oval moissanite :razz:

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
how about a rose gold eternity that you could wear in place of your engagement ring when you feel like it? an eternity as engagement ring is a super elegant look imho

lizzydm26

Shiny_Rock
Sounds like you really want the rose gold set. Go for it and don't feel guilty! Especially if you don't love the princess cut anymore. MAybe keep the original set to wear from time to time. Then if you want to upgrade again later in life, you won't feel so guilty trading out the newer set as you will always have your original.

And the eternity and right hand ring ideas sound like great alternative suggestions!

Last edited:

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
Do you already have rings that you wear on your right hand? Maybe satisfy your hankering for a rose gold ring by getting something you can wear on your right hand.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you already have rings that you wear on your right hand? Maybe satisfy your hankering for a rose gold ring by getting something you can wear on your right hand.

Came here to suggest the same! I have a lot of RHRs that I love. You can definitely get your oval moissy without changing your original set. Have both:)

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You might be able to put a different head on your original setting, allowing you to mount any shape of colored (or clear) stone and wear it as a RHR, while taking your original princess cut and making a pendant. Then, get the Oval Moissanite in Rose Gold. You get to keep and wear all the pieces of the sentimental ring setting, princess cut, and get what you “want” - all without breaking the bank.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I’d get a new set and keep the old one for when I was feeling warm and fuzzy.

I get the sentimental husband - mine is too. Trouble is, I’m not…at all :lol:

Maybe you could think of it as an expression of a new chapter in your marriage. You’ve changed and evolved I’m guessing, so has your husband, so has your taste. It makes sense to express that in a different way as a symbol of your marriage

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get the new set and swap them out

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking at your original ring, is there any option to convert your original ering into a band and wear that with your new set or as a RH ring? I don’t know how integration the head is to the rest of the shank but it would be a beautiful stand-alone ring if you could do it (and I think it would look gorgeous next to an oval set in RG!)

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
You will hanker after that oval moissy until you get it!:D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results