shape
carat
color
clarity

trying to decide on a diamond for engagement ring.

jmliii

Rough_Rock
I cant decide between the three I bought. I have to choose one now unfortunately as I can not send back three. She doesn't care much about a certain size, I just want the best performer but I can't bring myself to decide which that is. The specs can be found at the links by looking at the igi certificate if you're interested. I attached some photos even though they are lousy.

option 1. 1.15 ct
HCA score of .9
IMG_1219.JPG IMG_1220.JPG

option 2: 1.31 ct
HCA score .07

IMG_1216.JPG IMG_1215.JPG

Options 3: 1.46 ct
HCA Score: 1.8

IMG_1208.JPG IMG_1210.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1215.JPG
    IMG_1215.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 14

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 1.31 is my pick!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me too!

jmliii

Rough_Rock
Thank you. It was about 400 cheaper than the 1.46. Are you going off specs or off my pictures? Hopefully my pictures don't misrepresent any of them.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you. It was about 400 cheaper than the 1.46. Are you going off specs or off my pictures? Hopefully my pictures don't misrepresent any of them.

Your pictures are great. I was going off both.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Yep, 1.31 - love the added diameter of the 1.46, but it's got some slight cut precision issues revealed in the ASET. However: how does the performance and optics of the 1.46 compare to the others (especially to the 1.31)?

If you can't detect any obvious reduced sparkle or brilliance between the 1.46 and the others, then stick with the bigger diamond.

Last edited by a moderator:

jmliii

Rough_Rock
I don't have a ton of experience so it's hard for me to detect. I do feel the 1.15 stands out in brightness and fire but they all look pretty good. I don't think the 1.46 is too far behind the 1.31 in terms of fire but the 1.31 does have an inclusion on the crown. The 1.15 and 1.31 are the same price. The 1.46 is about 450 more. Price isn't a huge concern in this specific decision though.

Is there a good test to determine brightness in general? I have taken these through many different lighting scenarios.

jmliii

Rough_Rock
The aset on the 1.46 does look better if direct 90 to the table. But I understand you don't want leakage at any angle.

jmliii

Rough_Rock
I'm confused why a score less than one says it may be better for eating or pendent. Isn't it the lower the better the potential?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I don't have a ton of experience so it's hard for me to detect. I do feel the 1.15 stands out in brightness and fire but they all look pretty good. I don't think the 1.46 is too far behind the 1.31 in terms of fire but the 1.31 does have an inclusion on the crown. The 1.15 and 1.31 are the same price. The 1.46 is about 450 more. Price isn't a huge concern in this specific decision though.

Is there a good test to determine brightness in general? I have taken these through many different lighting scenarios.

For brilliance, hold a large piece of paper over the diamonds to cast a shadow and create indirect lighting.

For fire, blast them with direct lighting...and the more lighting sources simultaneously, the better.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I'm confused why a score less than one says it may be better for eating or pendent. Isn't it the lower the better the potential?

It's just a general calculation based on the overall proportions and angles listed on the grading report. There are plenty of true super ideal cut diamonds that will typically score 0.6-1.2 on the HCA.

jmliii

Rough_Rock
It's just weird that in the documentation it says most want a 1-2 but that less than one may not be best for a ring.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Any stone scoring under 2 (or sometimes 2.5) is worth further consideration. A lower score isn't better than a higher score. It used to be that stones with lower scores were better for pendants and earrings, but the HCA was revamped in the last few years, and that's more on a case-by-case basis now.

jmliii

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for the help and input. I am returning the 1.15.

Would you consider the 1.46 a good candidate still or should I definitely just go with the 1.31?

A local jeweler told me only super man would be able to see the difference. Lol I'm convinced I can a little but she also likes the slightly larger one.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you everyone for the help and input. I am returning the 1.15.

Would you consider the 1.46 a good candidate still or should I definitely just go with the 1.31?

A local jeweler told me only super man would be able to see the difference. Lol I'm convinced I can a little but she also likes the slightly larger one.

I don't like the cut on the 1.46 as much. I would go with the 1.31.

jmliii

Rough_Rock
some videos for fun

aapple0112

Shiny_Rock
1.31 got my vote!

PhilosopherStone

Rough_Rock
1.31 also has my vote (the ASET really stood out for me), great selections though on all 3!

jmliii

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone. Keeping the 1.31 although the 1.46 was very tempting due to size.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results