shape
carat
color
clarity

Trying to decide between ideal RBs from two vendors

AndyDufresne

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I have been using PriceScope for the last several weeks during shopping and I've narrowed my selection down to two diamonds (I think).

I'm looking for ideal cut rounds that are eye clean from 6 inches or so, my girlfriend and I both have pretty good eye sight so I'm mostly looking at VS2s, but I've considered some of WhiteFlash's SIs with the eye clean mark. My girlfriend would rate size highly and I rate cut highly, so the odd man out is color; I've been looking at HIJ stones for the most part. We'll mount it in a simple 4 prong yellow gold setting.

Long story short I'm deciding between these two:
WhiteFlash 1.222 J VS2 AGS-0 "ACA" http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3488747.htm
James Allen 1.36 J VS2 AGS-0 "True Hearts" http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.36-carat-j-color-vs2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-584241

So here's the rub. I *want* to work with WhiteFlash. They have a stellar reputation and are close enough we can drive there to shop wedding bands later. But I don't think I can justify paying more for a stone so much smaller. I understand and appreciate the return and upgrade policies WhiteFlash offers, but we will never upgrade.

Am I missing something wrong with that James Allen stone? It seems priced lower than it should be. For instance, they have a 1.15ct I SI1 selling for $260 more.

Finally last question for the mind readers out there... are we going to be happy with a J? :) I think the answer is a resounding YES since we'll be looking at it face up and refracting a ton of light. My original search was for I or better, but there are so many additional options at J.

Thanks in advance.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing wrong with the JA stone. I love the idea of a branded WF stone...but it does come down to money at some point and
you have to decide what wins out with you...size or WF branding in this case.

Both are beautiful stones. What setting(s) are you considering?

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you will truly "never upgrade" and your GF rates size highly as you put it, then I would go with the JA stone. It looks nice in the 360 and I think it would look gorgeous in a simple four prong yellow gold setting (that you indicated it would go in).

On a side note, I was recently searching James Allen in the PS search bar (looking for a particular setting) and I was surprised at how many unsatisfied customer posts came up. There were a lot! Most had to do with the quality of the setting. Ie, setting not lasting as long as it should, etc. Maybe check those posts out if you are thinking about having the stone set with JA.

AndyDufresne

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your replies tyty333 and JDDN,

tyty333: We're looking at just the simplest 4 prong settings, yellow gold with white prongs ($340 at WF, $420 at JA). We both like simple, but it's possible she'll want a different setting later on once we shop bands.

JDDN: The original diamond would have enough sentimental value that I can't see us trading it even if we do choose to change her ring years down the line.

FancyIntense

Shiny_Rock
I'd go for the WF personally because the size difference is not that big. I love the way the WF stone looks and you can actually go there at some point you said? WF settings are a better quality I think as well.

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
Hi, lovely choices. Not to make this even more of a challenging decision but I happened to be looking at Brian Gavin recently and saw this stone http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.476-k-vs1-round-diamond-ags-bl-104081043009 . It is a K but part of the blue collection so has fluorescence, seems like a beautiful stone and if you are close to Houston might be a possible option to at least look at or ask for them to send a pic for color comparison with an I or J colored diamond. I have worked with them a couple of times and been really happy. I have stones from both the BGB collection and the signature and love them both. The price and size are really great! Good luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results