shape
carat
color
clarity

Trying to buy an engagement ring... HELP!

pmerino1976

Rough_Rock
Hi, everyone. I've lurked here for a bit and you all seem very helpful. I'd love your opinion on a diamond http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.80-carat-i-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-328360

It seemed like a cleaner diamond than most of the comparable ones in my search...

I'm trying to stay under $4k for the ring without going too small. I'd love to get her a full carat but I don't think it's in the cards right now. I was thinking SI, I, with an excellent/ideal cut. My budget puts me in the .8-.85 carat range, I'm guessing. I'm just scared to pull the trigger without consulting experienced buyers. I live in NYC. I'm curious about the diamond district but it also scares me a little. I'd love your thoughts/recommendations. I'm trying to just give her the biggest bang for my buck and still make my student loan payments! Thanks!

SirGuy

Shiny_Rock
The limited numbers I can see look okay. Images are key: IS and ASET if you can get them. Those inclusions are fairly dark and could be troublesome. I'd give them a call about getting images and pulling the stone so they can check for you if it's eye clean.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pmerino1976|1403487821|3698917 said:
Hi, everyone. I've lurked here for a bit and you all seem very helpful. I'd love your opinion on a diamond http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.80-carat-i-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-328360

It seemed like a cleaner diamond than most of the comparable ones in my search...

I'm trying to stay under $4k for the ring without going too small. I'd love to get her a full carat but I don't think it's in the cards right now. I was thinking SI, I, with an excellent/ideal cut. My budget puts me in the .8-.85 carat range, I'm guessing. I'm just scared to pull the trigger without consulting experienced buyers. I live in NYC. I'm curious about the diamond district but it also scares me a little. I'd love your thoughts/recommendations. I'm trying to just give her the biggest bang for my buck and still make my student loan payments! Thanks!

Hi pmerino and welcome!

Thank you for your very kind words, we do try!

Actually, I think if this diamond is eye clean to your specifications, it could definitely be an option for the budget, I think you did very well! Next step would be to reserve it and request an Idealscope image, JA can supply one on request.

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
pmerino1976|1403487821|3698917 said:

Since you live in NY, you have an advantage. You're right to be leery of the general diamond district.

I would suggest working with Good Old Gold, as I have personal experience with them. I believe they are in Long Island.

Here is a stone that is similarly-priced to the stone you had linked, has about the same size (diameter size), but is of a better color, and has a guaranteed top-notch cut:

.75ct, H, SI1
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/12014/

GOG has a storefront, where you can actually see the stones and settings, as well. I'd suggest setting up an appointment and making a visit.

Best of luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results