shape
carat
color
clarity

Trying out new IS and ASET to Assess Inbound Purchase

Old_Fossil

Rough_Rock
Greetings PSers,

I received my ASET/IS order today in anticipation of wanting to validate cut and light performance of the main stone in a ring upgrade I have purchased and is being made. The hearts image was fine, but the arrows IS image provided by the vendor wasn't the best (strong backlighting), and they would not take new ones, nor provide an ASET image. However, the new stone is a 35/40.8 so I want to validate cut and light performance with my own eyes when the ring arrives and especially look for any leakage under the table. I practiced some photos using the new scopes with one of the ACA studs I recently purchased for my better half. Thought I would post them here, then maybe come back and post some pics of the new stone to get some thoughts. I will scour the forums for picture taking tips/techniques.

Kudos to those out there that can take good pictures, as I still have some work to do. But I think I am able to assess the cut via IS and light performance via ASET now that I have had some time to observe a well-cut stone in various lighting and angles with both scopes. I've read the arguments for and against ASET for RBs, but wanted both scopes. When the ring arrives, I hope to have come up with a better setup. Gives me about 2 weeks or so. This is a WF 1.5ct ACA I color. Kudos to @Garry H (Cut Nut) for bringing these to market.

ACA_IS_2.jpg ACA_ASET_2.jpg

Last edited:

Old_Fossil

Rough_Rock
Round 2.....some different lighting and photo angle techniques. Affixed the scope to the camera as per @Garry H (Cut Nut) recommendations. Bottom line is I will be able to assess cut and light performance with the new stone when it arrives using these scopes.......taking good pictures with them is another story. I find getting the lighting right the trickiest part.......you can make a great stone look mediocre quickly with a change in lighting angle, placement, or intensity. This is the same ACA 1.5 ct I color VS1 stud as above

ACA_IS_2.1.jpg
ACA IS.jpg
ACA ASET_2.jpg
ACA ASET.jpg

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hard, isn't?
Even diamond vendors struggle with this and often make their diamonds look significantly worse than they actually are.
Backlight, angle/tilt, exposure, alignment of the scope in respect to diamond... 2 degrees off here and 2mm off there can make IS/ASET images look terrible.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results