shape
carat
color
clarity

Trying on rings?

Did you try on rings before you and SO began your e-ring search?

• Yes. I couldn''t help myself...besides it was helpful research!

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No way! I''d be WAY too self-conscious to do it without him.

• I didn''t try on rings BEFORE we started looking together, but I did sneak into stores by myself lat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I did; my parents gave me a diamond ring for my 18 or 21st birthday (can''t remember now). I love trying them on; I was shy but now I am not shy at all. Go have fun, you are the customer so enjoy! hehe

4ever

Ideal_Rock
I can''t even let myself look in the shop windows! I also can''t bring myself to look at or buy any wedding magazines. It seems silly but I just couldn''t.

CheshireSmile

Shiny_Rock
I've been looking at rings for ages, but never went to try them on until SO and I decided we wanted to start looking for a ring, and then we did so together.

chocolatefudge

Shiny_Rock
I would have to say no, but it''s not a self conscious thing, I just think actually trying a ring on would make the whole thing even more exciting for me and knowing that it won''t be coming anytime soon would just depress me! Also, I would really love the first time I put on an engagement ring to be when my boyfriend proposes- I''ll just have to pray it suits me!! Hee hee!

EveryWakingMoment

Rough_Rock
No. I never had an interest in diamond rings or marriage until I met FF. Once upon a time i saw wedding sets as little bitty shackles. But now i look at rings all of the time online!
30.gif

Still_Waiting

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, so I went into a jewelry store today. I had two intentions. 1) To have a ring cleaned (from my grandma who passed away 1-1/2 yrs. ago) and 2) While I waited, to try on some different carat sizes...Well, I accomplished #1 (I''d never had it cleaned before and I''ve had it for nearly 20 years. It''s so pretty!) But I failed miserably at #2. They even tried to get me to try some on and I refused. LOL I guess I''ll just wait for SO. When he''s ready to actually look, then we''ll do it together!
20.gif
Guess I''m just not cut out for all this fancy jewelry stuff...well, besides my future e-ring of course!

One other thing struck me today. How could something so small cost so much money?!?!lol What other things so small as a diamond can cost about that much?

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I've looked at rings for years - I love sparklies! But never tried them on. BF and I went looking a few weeks ago at Tiffany and Cartier NY and I got to try things on....where I learned that I actually really like 6-prong settings...maybe even more than cathedrals (didn't expect that), and that I can go up to 1.85 ct without feeling awkward about size (BF may not have been happy about that since I have size 3.5 fingers
11.gif
). Also learned that it IS important to try on, especially (for me) in terms of color (I could definitely tell the difference between D and G, although I think G wouldn't bother me on its own - just in a side-by-side comparison).

Usually I'll look but I won't try things on if I'm by myself...except today! I was at a local jeweler picking up a ring I had set, saw stunning royal asschers, got to talking about diamond cuts with one of the owners, and got to try on a bunch of beautiful asschers and radiants (and a 1.81 ct. RB). I didn't feel awkward about trying them on today, but i think it was because it followed from a discussion about gems in general (rather than it being my purpose for being there).

BF has promised to take another trip with me to Tiff and Cartier next summer to look at carat sizes again (
9.gif
) and to come back with me to the local jeweler after exams so I can show him the royal asschers
9.gif
9.gif

EDIT: A couple more lessons learned: learned that I want simple, simple, simple! LOVED the classic Tiff solitaire and the Cartier 1895 w/o pave...liked the Novo but it didn't suit me.

EDIT: BF actually was really interested ... he had learned enough from PS via me to know probably as much, if not more, as the salespeople when it comes to diamonds
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results