shape
carat
color
clarity

trusting jewelers...

Tina T

Rough_Rock
Hi! Usually when you get a custom ring made, to fit an heirloom for example, do you generally drop off the diamond and let the jeweler hold onto it for ...weeks? Are there ways to ensure they don't just swap it? It's an old mine cut diamond, no GIA certification or anything! I'm so paranoid... thank you, thank you!!

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Having the diamond mapped by the appraiser will help ensure that it is not swapped out and once you get it back take it back to the appraiser and they will confirm if it is the same stone or not. Doing this keeps a record of the unique characteristics of any particular stone

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Having the diamond mapped by the appraiser will help ensure that it is not swapped out and once you get it back take it back to the appraiser and they will confirm if it is the same stone or not. Doing this keeps a record of the unique characteristics of any particular stone

I would echo this advice.

You might also see if they can put a micro inscription in the stone. I know GIA and AGS stones have their numbers in the stone. Also, I am buying a Brian Gavin stone and he has a signature logo as well. I am not sure the difficulty or cost to do so. I am still learning myself.

Another benefit to the appraisal is you can get an insurance policy as well. While you can't replace the sentimental value, you can have some protection and assurance of a replacement in case the ring gets stolen, lost or damaged.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Please do your due diligence on the jeweler themselves.
Choosing a reputable, honest shop is your best protection.
Another important caution- if they are making a piece for you, make sure to see actual examples of their work on pieces that look like what you want.
We've heard of too many cases where a shop promises to make a style which looks nothing like anything in their showcase- and the result was unexpected, in a not good way....

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could send the stone to GIA or AGS for grading and laser inscription before mounting it :)

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Good suggestions about laser engraving- and obtaining a lab report ( GIA or AGSL)
But remember, a laser inscription is fairly easy to remove.
Also- there's no way to prevent someone from laser engraving a diamond with a GIA report #.
I do understand why folks like laser inscription- and love it myself- it's not protection from an unethical person/ seller.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

What documents do you have to support that it is an old mine cut, diamond etc etc?

cheers--Sharon

Tina T

Rough_Rock
Thank you all!! I did get the ring appraised by an official appraiser with documentation. I did ask the appraiser what he thought about the GIA cert/laser inscription and he thought it wasn't worth it unless I was thinking about selling the diamond. Although I didn't ask/mention that I might be resetting it.

How would I go about getting the diamond GIA certified?

Also, I did try to "research" this jeweler... but it's hard. to be honest, all I have are 90+ positive yelp reviews and none of them said "He stole my diamond". I did meet the jeweler and he seemed like he would do a good job at creating the ring and is trustworthy.... but I don't have much experience at all in this so it's really hard for me to know!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
90 yelps is pretty good. If the guy was ripping people off, he would not be able to have than many positives and no negatives.
yelp is actually pretty good at filtering reviews.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You can ask the jeweler to send it off to GIA for you or you can do it yourself, it is recommended to have this done with the stone removed from the mounting so it’s best to get done while resetting. If you are doing custom then you can the stone regarded while working out the CAD.

GIA has instructions and pricing for grading and laser inscribing

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you’re worried, send it in. One of the problems with GIA grading and/or inscription is that they can ONLY be done on an umounted stone so now is an opportunity. You can always have it taken out, of course, and a decent plot and photographs from an appraiser will serve the same purpose, but you’ll still have that nagging doubt.

It may be worth noting that this very risk is something that insurance companies deal with quite regularly. They charge about 1% of the declared value for this and a whole list of other perils, and they’re making a profit at that price. The risk is there, but it’s nowhere near as high as people generally expect. As with the above, if it’s causing you to lose sleep, just insure it. It's not very expensive and although it doesn’t eliminate the risk, it makes it someone else’s problem.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Excellent advice from denverappraiser.

I would add only that if you ask the jeweler to show you the diamond through his microscope you can draw your own plot and more importantly, you will see the nature and appearance of the cut, the inclusions and the the relationship of the inclusions to one another.

Then, when you pick up the new ring, look at it again and you will recognise your old friend and the doubts and fears will be gone.

Wink

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
your appraiser said he didn't think it would be worth it to send to a lab.

How much $ did he appraise the stone for? (You don't have to share).

It simply may be that the stone's value would not be commensurate with the expense of getting the lab report- which can cost a few hundred dollars. Plus insurance while in transit)... Plus shipping. maybe $400-500?

So, if your appraiser valued your stone at $2000 or $3000, $4-500 bucks is a high percentage of that value and, thus, maybe not worth it.

If, however, your stone is valued at $10,000 or $20,000, then it would more certainly be worth $400 for a lab report.

Tina T

Rough_Rock
Hi, thank you for everyone’s advice! The appraiser said the diamond’s estimated replacement cost is $7000. There’s an inclusion in the middle that I feel I could use as a signature that it’s my diamond

I appreciate the comment about insurance companies and how they make money off risks like this. I decided to go ahead and get the ring reset, without the GIA... also because I’m a bit impatient and want my ring NOW.

Wish me luck.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, thank you for everyone’s advice! The appraiser said the diamond’s estimated replacement cost is $7000. There’s an inclusion in the middle that I feel I could use as a signature that it’s my diamond

I appreciate the comment about insurance companies and how they make money off risks like this. I decided to go ahead and get the ring reset, without the GIA... also because I’m a bit impatient and want my ring NOW.

Wish me luck.

Of course, good luck and please come back when it's done to show us!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A great idea.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results