carat
color
clarity

Trump's election may be the last nail in Hangout's coffin

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Re: Trump's election may be the last nail in Hangout's coffi

sonnyjane|1481436628|4106266 said:
To be frank, I've grown very, very, VERY tired of discussing anything political and so when every.single.day seemed to have a new thread about the election (and now the election results), I just stopped being as active on the page. There's no joy in reading the same debate over and over and over and over again and I don't want to comment because I'd rather see those threads die. If the political posts ceased, I'd be more apt to participate in the other threads.

This is exactly how I feel.
I'm just soooooooo tired of reading it, seeing it, hearing it, watching it..... The election is over and I don't really care for the doom and gloom. I prefer the wait and see approach. I have found that I started to lose interest in participating in Hangout towards the end of the election and now that it's over, I still visit much less often.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think PS activity in general has slowed down quite a bit over the years. I didn't start reading hangout threads until RT and SMTB got slower.

I tried checking Reddit for a PS group lolol. Only hits that came up were of people who linked to PS. Bleh...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

redwood66|1481494787|4106427 said:
Healthy debate is great. Being an ******* is entirely different.

Is an entirely different debate about healthy *******s okay? :lol:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

PintoBean|1481649437|4106884 said:
I think PS activity in general has slowed down quite a bit over the years. I didn't start reading hangout threads until RT and SMTB got slower.

I tried checking Reddit for a PS group lolol. Only hits that came up were of people who linked to PS. Bleh...

I check Reddit periodically for Pricescopers as well. Nada. Maybe you should start one! :wavey: :naughty: :lol:

Indylady

Ideal_Rock

I'm bummed too--I have been poking around on PS lately, looking for nice things and old friends.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny|1481651137|4106897 said:

:lol: It might depend on the *******.... and their level of assholiness.....

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock

momhappy|1481509055|4106497 said:
sonnyjane|1481436628|4106266 said:
To be frank, I've grown very, very, VERY tired of discussing anything political and so when every.single.day seemed to have a new thread about the election (and now the election results), I just stopped being as active on the page. There's no joy in reading the same debate over and over and over and over again and I don't want to comment because I'd rather see those threads die. If the political posts ceased, I'd be more apt to participate in the other threads.

This is exactly how I feel.
I'm just soooooooo tired of reading it, seeing it, hearing it, watching it..... The election is over and I don't really care for the doom and gloom. I prefer the wait and see approach. I have found that I started to lose interest in participating in Hangout towards the end of the election and now that it's over, I still visit much less often.

Me too. I stayed away before, during and just after the election for the most part because I was attacked for making a comment that I thought there were too many political threads and it made me not want to participate. I've just recently come back to peek in on what's new in Hangout and was pleasantly surprised to see some non-political threads that I might want to participate in. I'm still a little nervous about the perception some people have of me so I'm dipping my toe in ever so slowly....

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

redwood66|1481665863|4106978 said:
kenny|1481651137|4106897 said:

:lol: It might depend on the *******.... and their level of assholiness.....
No matter how you feel about Kenny I still love him... :tongue:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Me too.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I used to be pretty active on PS and am not now, mostly for the "reddit reason" (there are more web communities now, discussing topics even more relevant to me).

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

I thought about this thread the other day.
I've visited here from time to time, but I have found, like some others, that I post less frequently.
From my perspective, it's not Trump, it's just too much gloom and doom. It gets so depressing after a while :((

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

AGBF|1481498310|4106440 said:
sarahb|1481490762|4106408 said:
Elliot86|1481484123|4106384 said:
Ohhhhhhhh you're right Jenn. The liberals are a feisty bunch and the rest are just as pure as the driven snow.

PS was once an innocent friendly place....

This is true; however, then aljdewey and Mara were allowed to join.

Deb
:saint:

REALLY, DEB? Are you serious? WE made this place unfriendly, eh? That's a super interesting take on your part, and frankly a really shitty and inaccurate thing to say as well.

There were considerable debates, yes, but in those times, none of us (which were far more numerous than just myself and Mara) ever had to devolve into calling each other *******s or stupid. We also didn't whine when all the other special snowflakes didn't agree with our every thought. And I don't recall everyone crying "personal attack, personal attack" (except one). Yes, PS had *many* strong and opinionated participants then, and it was also an incredibly vibrant community then. People could disagree about concepts without making it personal. I don't see that at all now.

The Great PS slowdown began when the delicate flowers whined all spirited conversation into the ground.........and that spirited conversation found a better place to hang. Now, everyone cries pile-on the very instant that more than one other poster disagrees with him. It MUST be a pile-on - it must be a conspiracy. And the discourse here now is leap-years less respectful and more disdainful by a LOT.

From what I've seen here on my infrequent visits now, no one is looking to find any kind of common ground at all. They are fully married to their ideas and unwilling to even TRY to look at it from the other side. That's not what builds friendships....and that is why it's crickets here now.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Howdy Alj, :wavey:
While there is some truth in what you say what really happened is the board went from a somewhat dysfunctional family to more mainstream.
It is what happens when boards mature and the user base grows.
There are a lot of people here now that would go flying away fast if things were like they were back in the day.
While I loved the old days and miss them, I think the mission of the board to help people is better served now.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

aljdewey|1484011683|4113893 said:
AGBF|1481498310|4106440 said:
sarahb|1481490762|4106408 said:
Elliot86|1481484123|4106384 said:
Ohhhhhhhh you're right Jenn. The liberals are a feisty bunch and the rest are just as pure as the driven snow.

PS was once an innocent friendly place....

This is true; however, then aljdewey and Mara were allowed to join.

Deb
:saint:

REALLY, DEB? Are you serious?

Rather than address your entire posting, al, let me start with your first question. I hope that it will obviate the need for me to refute more of your posting. The answer to the first question is a definitive: no.

It was a joke.

I was saying that PS has not been an innocent and friendly place the very beginning, i.e. since it was founded. The use of your name and Mara's name was merely to indicate since The Dawn of Time, since The Time of Adam and Eve.

Deb :wavey:

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

Karl_K|1484023810|4113936 said:
While there is some truth in what you say what really happened is the board went from a somewhat dysfunctional family to more mainstream.
There are a lot of people here now that would go flying away fast if things were like they were back in the day.
While I loved the old days and miss them, I think the mission of the board to help people is better served now.

Hiya, Karl - awesome to see you, and Happy New Year! :wavey:

I agree that it may be a natural evolution, which is why I reacted to the notion that it was laid at the feet of two. :naughty: (ETA: glad to see Deb's recent post that it was in jest.)

That said, though, I'm not sure I agree that the mission of the board is better served now. This community once thrived with a bevy of trade experts; not anymore. There used to be a robust group of experienced consumers with preferences across a wide spectrum; now it's a scant handful. And the most telling sign is in the non-mission related boards - when people hung out here and really felt a sense of community, that trickled over into discovered other shared interests that bound the community even more tightly and helped draw folks here. That's something Leonid worked really hard to foster - that Cluetrain line of thought that folks drawn by one common shared interest could bring expertise and knowledge in other areas that might also benefit participants, making a more lasting community. The absence of participation in those arenas today speaks loudly (at least to me).

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

Rather than address your entire posting, al, let me start with your first question. I hope that it will obviate the need for me to refute more of your posting. The answer to the first question is a definitive: no.

It was a joke.

I was saying that PS has not been an innocent and friendly place the very beginning, i.e. since it was founded. The use of your name and Mara's name was merely to indicate since The Dawn of Time, since The Time of Adam and Eve.

Deb :wavey:[/quote]

Ah.....got it. Sorry; the tongue-in-cheek vibe didn't translate and I thought you were serious. Glad to be corrected there. :naughty: :wavey: :appl:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

aljdewey|1484066466|4114018 said:
Karl_K|1484023810|4113936 said:

Hiya, Karl - awesome to see you, and Happy New Year! :wavey:

I agree that it may be a natural evolution, which is why I reacted to the notion that it was laid at the feet of two. :naughty: (ETA: glad to see Deb's recent post that it was in jest.)

That said, though, I'm not sure I agree that the mission of the board is better served now. This community once thrived with a bevy of trade experts; not anymore. There used to be a robust group of experienced consumers with preferences across a wide spectrum; now it's a scant handful. And the most telling sign is in the non-mission related boards - when people hung out here and really felt a sense of community, that trickled over into discovered other shared interests that bound the community even more tightly and helped draw folks here. That's something Leonid worked really hard to foster - that Cluetrain line of thought that folks drawn by one common shared interest could bring expertise and knowledge in other areas that might also benefit participants, making a more lasting community. The absence of participation in those arenas today speaks loudly (at least to me).

Yea I had second thoughts about it also, its not that clear cut.
The hayday probably was the in between period after much of the fighting died down when John, Garry, Dave A, myself and others would spend 4-6 hours putting together educational posts and weeks on journal articles and there were more very active prosumers.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results