shape
carat
color
clarity

Trump's election may be the last nail in Hangout's coffin

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since the election I've noticed fewer and fewer threads.
The threads not about commiserating the shock and awe peter out faster than ever before.
What really do a bunch of libs have to talk about now?

Already, Hangout traffic is at an all-time low.
Since checkin in here results in nothing to see I go elsewhere.

Maybe many libs will leave and many cons will join, or come out of the closet.
Perhaps Hangout will drastically lurch to the right.

Just saying ...

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Re: Trump's election may be the last nail in Hangout's coffi

Kenny I don't think it's Trump, and it's not just Hangout - LIW used to be hopping and now it's totally quiet.

I think larger forum platforms like reddit have changed were forum posters tend to hang out.
More people. More variety. Bigger conversations.

The nature of internet conversation has changed in the last 5 years and "the cool kids just aren't hanging out at the mall anymore".

I'm actually surprised PS hasn't migrated to something like a sub-reddit. but I'm not surprised because of add revenues etc.
Maybe it's time to open a "branch office" over there.

Just my two cents.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi Kenny: What I've noticed is a few people are shouldering all the thread-starting responsibility in Hangout. That gets onerous over time. Perhaps after the holiday season has passed, more Hangout peeps will step up and start some threads.

I'll come up with a couple shortly.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

For me anyway, I'm not interested in discussing anything beyond "Wow ok how do we reverse this mess?"

It's annoying to read the same opinions about how Trump might not be that bad from what, 3 or 4 members?

I have separate political forums now for the nitty gritty and still admire the jewels here.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock

To be frank, I've grown very, very, VERY tired of discussing anything political and so when every.single.day seemed to have a new thread about the election (and now the election results), I just stopped being as active on the page. There's no joy in reading the same debate over and over and over and over again and I don't want to comment because I'd rather see those threads die. If the political posts ceased, I'd be more apt to participate in the other threads.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

While I would personally hate to see it happen, Kenny, if PS somehow lurched to the right? I would relish watching and enjoy my popcorn, lurking here and on social media. And Kenny, just think of how much MORE fun you could have in Hangout if the majority of posters were conservatives! Talk about low-hanging fruit...

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would not underestimate the roles of post-election depression and shock over Trump's victory (and an attendant need for us liberals to switch into a watching and acting mode on politics) plus the Christmas holidays for the quiet here on Hangout.

I am not interested in wallowing in election outcome, but in fighting for the freedoms that Trump has threatened to take from The American people. That takes a switch of focus. That is taking organizations that I support some time to effect.

I am also Christmas shopping and planning: planning what I am going to cook for family Christmas meals and who I will put in what bed and who I will have pick up whom at the airport and when. Plus decorating. It's busy.

Deb :wavey:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yeah I think there is some depression happening here because of the election results but also it is always slower here around the holidays I think. Except when PS does a giveaway and then people come out of the woodwork. But hopefully it is just a temporary slowdown though as others have pointed out it is happening everywhere and other sites are becoming busier whereas online forums not as much. LOL I am definitely not a cool kid and don't even know what reddit is so will look it up. :oops:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Elliot86|1481434753|4106265 said:
For me anyway, I'm not interested in discussing anything beyond "Wow ok how do we reverse this mess?" It's annoying to read the same opinions about how Trump might not be that bad from what, 3 or 4 members?

Imagine how the "three or four members" feel reading a bazillion posts with the same pro-Hillary, anti-conservative opinions, etc., while we are being MISlabeled as racists, mysogynists, xenophobes, and the rest of the list simply because we have different opinions. :think:

I've made a point to try and largely steer clear of the politic threads since the election because it gets quite otiresome and pointless having strangers who are supposedly proponents of "tolerance", who don't know you personally, who don't/won't accept non-liberal perspectives, falsely label you for having different beliefs - NONE of which are actually discriminatory.

Also, it has changed my PS experience, and not in a positive way. IMO, it has taken this community that once did NOT feel divisive to me, and turned it into a microcosm of the exact divisiveness we ALL say we don't want to see in our country. And that leaves me not wanting to participate not only in Hangout, but the rest of the forum. And it's fine - I am not losing sleep over it in the least.

Just my $0.02. And I am not going to belabor it with ongoing debate. That horse is quite dead and has flies swarming, even in this bitter cold weather.

:wavey:

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm still here.
I suspect that things are slow now because of holiday shopping, decorating,etc.
There will be another election in a couple of years. With luck, it will reverse the house and senate majorities.
Never give up.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy|1481463457|4106303 said:
LOL I am definitely not a cool kid and don't even know what reddit is so will look it up. :oops:

Off-topic slightly, and I am not a Reddit user either; however, (for some amusement) one of my good friends made worldwide 'fame' on there for story about mistaking a bottle of olive oil shower gel for actual cooking olive oil. To her defense, the bottle's labeling wasn't very clear, but bless her heart - she was about to burn her house down trying to figure out why her food was tasting so terrible after having her water checked, throwing out all her food/groceries, getting new cookware, etc. :lol: :lol:

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi,

There have been times I would like to start a topic, but I know it will just be attacked by those that have only one way of thinking. Why bother. I am a moderate and don't cling to one sided ideas. I am conservative in some things and liberal in others. I do choose issues that become important, as we have seen with "black lives matter". Now, of course all lives matter, but we are calling attention to something of real injustice. However, our values do center on a core value for human life, so that opposition to late term abortions , I think, can easily by understood and justified. I see that a thread is now blaming Trump for the Ohio bill on abortion. Come-on folks, this has been happening in many places including Ohio, before Trumps election. Every thing that he is doing
is not evil.

So, it gets silly on here in both directions. I do think Red has moderated her stances from a few yrs ago. I regard her as more thoughtful than some far lefties. Both extremes annoy me. And on PS the extreme liberal take over.

I was sick for about a week over this, and then I felt better. We know what Trump is, we know he will continue to lie, but I prefer to take Obamas lead. He is helping him make the transition, and I will watch and be hopeful at the same time.

Dooms Day is not here. People are tired of it all.

Annette

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

JoCoJenn|1481465778|4106312 said:
missy|1481463457|4106303 said:
LOL I am definitely not a cool kid and don't even know what reddit is so will look it up. :oops:

Off-topic slightly, and I am not a Reddit user either; however, (for some amusement) one of my good friends made worldwide 'fame' on there for story about mistaking a bottle of olive oil shower gel for actual cooking olive oil. To her defense, the bottle's labeling wasn't very clear, but bless her heart - she was about to burn her house down trying to figure out why her food was tasting so terrible after having her water checked, throwing out all her food/groceries, getting new cookware, etc. :lol: :lol:
I don't understand. Was the oil a gift?

Because, you know, oil for cooking is sold in the food section... oil for bathing, sold in the bath section

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Annette, agreed. I'm very middle of the road, I voted with my party I'm neither extreme left or right and find that such extremes don't do much good for many people. I've been a registered independent for 16 years and vote libertarian when I feel the candidate is viable.

Its over. I would not have liked who got voted in from either major party frankly so maybe moot? (lol)

I hate to say it but maybe this board is not mature enough to handle political talks. I'm all good with agree to disagree but I've seen threads devolve into some pettiness is surprising.

I'm in watch and wait mode myself. I don't like and didn't vote for the cheeto, but thats what we got. Hopefully he won't tank us.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

People are probably busy and some of the political threads have gotten out of hand. I agree with Annette and Arcadian's views on this subject. That was nice of you Annette btw, thank you. Also JCJ has a very valid observation based on our experiences here. PS is my only outlet to views of liberals and I appreciate the ones who keep it civil so a discussion can ensue. That does not mean that we will agree but we are still people, mothers, daughters, sons, husbands, etc. who deserve respect. I cannot read reddit because the layout annoys me terribly and it is too hard to follow a conversation. Quote bubbles are much easier but maybe the fact that there are fewer people here helps too.

Hopefully it will pick up after the holidays. :wavey:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I thought it had slowed down due to everyone being busy with the holiday. If I'm remembering correctly it slowed down last year during the holidays.

Kenny, I've been thinking of your SO lately. I hope things are improving and he has been feeling better. I know how stressful this must have been for you. :wavey:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks much, at least he can get out of bed and use his walker to get to the bathroom now.
It's gonna be a long road.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

JoCoJenn|1481465493|4106309 said:
For me anyway, I'm not interested in discussing anything beyond "Wow ok how do we reverse this mess?" It's annoying to read the same opinions about how Trump might not be that bad from what, 3 or 4 members?

Imagine how the "three or four members" feel reading a bazillion posts with the same pro-Hillary, anti-conservative opinions, etc., while we are being MISlabeled as racists, mysogynists, xenophobes, and the rest of the list simply because we have different opinions. :think:

I've made a point to try and largely steer clear of the politic threads since the election because it gets quite otiresome and pointless having strangers who are supposedly proponents of "tolerance", who don't know you personally, who don't/won't accept non-liberal perspectives, falsely label you for having different beliefs - NONE of which are actually discriminatory.

Also, it has changed my PS experience, and not in a positive way. IMO, it has taken this community that once did NOT feel divisive to me, and turned it into a microcosm of the exact divisiveness we ALL say we don't want to see in our country. And that leaves me not wanting to participate not only in Hangout, but the rest of the forum. And it's fine - I am not losing sleep over it in the least.

Just my $0.02. And I am not going to belabor it with ongoing debate. That horse is quite dead and has flies swarming, even in this bitter cold weather.

I could not have written a more succinct reply. Thank you JoCoJenn. Exactly my sentiment as well. PS was once a nice breath of fresh air, has now become polluted with all the divisiveness we find in the national discourse. I just don't like it.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ohhhhhhhh you're right Jenn. The liberals are a feisty bunch and the rest are just as pure as the driven snow.

E B

Ideal_Rock

Healthy debate isn't a bunch of people in constant, pleasant agreement. That's an echo chamber. And it's a big reason why there's a growing distrust of "the media," or anything that doesn't fit a preferred narrative. Fake news. Post-fact politics, trusting feelings over facts. And as things devolve, you have, for example, a man taking a gun into a pizza shop, later realizing "intel wasn't 100 percent." (Understatement of the year.)

In healthy debate, views are challenged. It's supposed to be a little uncomfortable (or even moderately so) for both sides. And as much as I think to myself, "what reality are they living?" (the same thing they, too, are likely thinking :cheeky:) when I see one of the people on the opposite 'side' of the political spectrum arguing a point, or defending Trump for the zillionth time, at least they're putting it out there. They're allowing themselves to be challenged, allowing their own views to shift however slightly, or possibly shifting someone else's. Good for them.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

sarahb|1481477898|4106364 said:
JoCoJenn|1481465493|4106309 said:

I could not have written a more succinct reply. Thank you JoCoJenn. Exactly my sentiment as well. PS was once a nice breath of fresh air, has now become polluted with all the divisiveness we find in the national discourse. I just don't like it.

Some just come out and define you by screen name. Others are more passive - aggressive but it is obvious who they are referring to.

When I have to keep reediting everything I type in and wonder constantly how it is going to be taken or if I am going to be again called troll-ish or patronized by someone telling me I have "interesting view's, I many times just delete and go elsewhere where all opinions are tolerated.

I was attracted to this board in the first place because of how tolerant and welcoming everyone used to be.

And I have seen it many times mentioned before where others have stopped posting to avoid being attacked.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi,

A example of what happens on here is when an individual gives their point of view on a topic, which is fine and good, and another does the same, the first poster comes back to attack that second poster. The first poster had their chance at the topic. Why can't people just leave it at that. The second poster has the same right to be heard. Just let it go. This is not a topic that was up for debate. Most are not. People just want their say.

It just happened here. Enough snide comments. Equal rights!

Annette

I am referring to Elliots comments. Don't want Ruby thinking its her.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Elliot86|1481484123|4106384 said:
Ohhhhhhhh you're right Jenn. The liberals are a feisty bunch and the rest are just as pure as the driven snow.

Case in point Ruby, why would one visit a place voluntarily and be subjected to off-putting comments. I love to come here to read everyones input on jewelry, but choose to draw the line at political dialogue on this particular website. PS was once an innocent friendly place, I wished they had never allowed politics, it sort of ruined PS IMHO.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Healthy debate is great. Being an ******* is entirely different.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

sarahb|1481490762|4106408 said:

PS was once an innocent friendly place....

This is true; however, then aljdewey and Mara were allowed to join.

Deb
:saint:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Case in point Ruby, why would one visit a place voluntarily and be subjected to off-putting comments. I love to come here to read everyones input on jewelry, but choose to draw the line at political dialogue on this particular website. PS was once an innocent friendly place, I wished they had never allowed politics, it sort of ruined PS IMHO.

PS has never been innocent. You've not been here as long as I have and you've missed quite a bit. The last few years have been relatively benign. Prior to that we had cut wars, vendor wars, a particular clique who ridiculed and sabotaged those they didn't like who were at the center of huge blowup and nearly imho destroyed Hangout, Rodentman, Icy White Diamonds, and one person in particular (her user name escapes me but began with a "P") who was the nastiest, most bitter hurtful person I have ever seen here. And her fan club defended her saying she was just blunt when it was clear to the majority that she was downright cruel. In spite of disagreements among us over difficult topics, I believe PS is, overall, friendly and supportive, especially to those who need support and advice when facing challenging personal situations.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Ruby, I hope you realize I was directing my comment in support of your post....I often feel the same, & choose not to post.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Matata|1481499757|4106451 said:

PS has never been innocent. You've not been here as long as I have and you've missed quite a bit. The last few years have been relatively benign. Prior to that we had cut wars, vendor wars, a particular clique who ridiculed and sabotaged those they didn't like who were at the center of huge blowup and nearly imho destroyed Hangout, Rodentman, Icy White Diamonds, and one person in particular (her user name escapes me but began with a "P") who was the nastiest, most bitter hurtful person I have ever seen here. And her fan club defended her saying she was just blunt when it was clear to the majority that she was downright cruel. In spite of disagreements among us over difficult topics, I believe PS is, overall, friendly and supportive, especially to those who need support and advice when facing challenging personal situations.

You're right Matata, I've only heard & read comments that refer to a 'big blow up'--as well as the cut wars, vender wars etc, I missed all of it. So I guess my comment is relative only to my experience. Maybe PS is not as innocent as I've experienced. So please take my comment in the spirit it was given: relative to my perspective. :halo:

Edited to add: totally agree the board members here can be the most friendliest & supportive, & Ive witnessed this amazing support first hand. Its just these political threads we're discussing that I'm directing my comments towards. :bigsmile:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

House Cat|1481471347|4106336 said:
I don't understand. Was the oil a gift?

Because, you know, oil for cooking is sold in the food section... oil for bathing, sold in the bath section

Yes, sorry; someone gave her a basket of various goodies I believe, and it was among them.

ANNNNNNNDDDD you come along & help prove my point; thanks!! :appl:

Where is my "easy" button? :lol:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny|1481475583|4106355 said:
Thanks much, at least he can get out of bed and use his walker to get to the bathroom now.
It's gonna be a long road.

Kenny,

I'm glad your SO is making some progress. I wish him a full and speedy recovery; 'speedy' being a relative word. :(

My thoughts go out to you as well. I think its easier to endure a hardship or pain ourselves, rather than see a loved one go through it.
Hugs

Concerning this thread's topic, I had thought of doing some ... what's the word ... 'housecleaning'!
Yes, that's it. I was going to pry myself away from PS and do some housecleaning.
But, if you need me here to post, than that's what I shall do. :D
I know. I'm a real trooper.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results