shape
carat
color
clarity

Trump Commutes Roger Stone's Sentence

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Donald Trump has commuted Roger Stone's sentence.

The move - sparing Stone from jail but not a pardon - came just after a court denied Stone's request to delay the start date of his 40-month prison term.

He was convicted of lying to Congress, obstruction and witness tampering.

Stone was the sixth Trump aide found guilty on charges linked to a justice department probe that alleged Russia tried to boost the Trump 2016 campaign.

The 67-year-old had been due to report to a federal prison in Jesup, Georgia, next Tuesday.

scouty

Brilliant_Rock
Unprecedented corruption and abuse of power. Done on a Friday night in hopes of not drawing attention. Earlier in the day Roger Stone admitted he expected a pardon because he could have turned on Trump.

Richard Nixon never commuted sentences or pardoned anyone involved in Watergate. Pardoning friends of the President is not how the American judicial system is supposed to work. The moral fiber of the US has been desecrated by Trump and his GOP enablers. I have no respect for anyone associated with the Republican party.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"The predictability of President Trump's commutation of his friend and confidant Roger Stone's prison sentence on Friday was predictable, but that's what actually makes it more corrupt, Quinta Jurecic and Benjamin Wittes write for Lawfare.

Jurecic and Wittes argue that clemency was probably a reward Trump promised Stone in exchange for keeping silent about Trump's knowledge of Stone's outreach to WikiLeaks during his 2016 presidential campaign.
In written responses to former Special Counsel Robert Mueller's office, the president said he had no recollection of 'the specifics of any call' he had with Stone during the campaign or any discussions with his friend about WikiLeaks.

But newly unredacted information from Mueller's investigation that came out during Stone's trial convinced Jurecic and Wittes that Trump was likely lying. Mueller wrote that Trump's conduct, especially his tweets supporting Stone after he submitted the written answers, 'could also be viewed as reflecting his awareness that Stone could provide evidence that would run counter to the president's denials and would link the president to Stone's efforts to reach out to WikiLeaks,' adding that the tweets 'support the inference that the president intended to communicate a message that witnesses could be rewarded for refusing to provide testimony.'

Stone did refuse to testify against Trump and, lo and behold, Trump went on to commute his sentence, which Jurecic and Wittes consider confirmation that Mueller's suspicions were correct. Read the full piece at Lawfare. "

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trump voters don't care.

They are the true villains dismantling America's democracy.
Trump is just their tool.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Russia Connection
The Roger Stone Commutation Is Even More Corrupt Than It Seems

"President Trump’s commutation of the prison sentence of his long-time confidante Roger Stone is wholly unsurprising. Indeed, given Trump’s repeated teasing of the matter over the life of the case against Stone, it would have been something of surprise had he not intervened so that his felonious friend was spared time behind bars.

But the predictable nature of Trump’s action should not obscure its rank corruption. In fact, the predictability makes the commutation all the more corrupt, the capstone of an all-but-open attempt on the president’s part to obstruct justice in a self-protective fashion over a protracted period of time. That may sound like hyperbole, but it’s actually not. Trump publicly encouraged Stone not to cooperate with Robert Mueller’s investigation; he publicly dangled clemency as a reward for silence; and he has now delivered. The act is predictable precisely because the corrupt action is so naked."

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I knew this was coming.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me this is just despicable. As my husband said "Trump has completed America's transformation from the leader of the world in honesty to the best of the banana republics".

I care Deb, I care lots.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
When one GOP senator is against it, you know its bad. Usually you don't hear a sound.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results