shape
carat
color
clarity

Trouble returning incorrect ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nutella

Rough_Rock
I am not sure if anybody can give m any advice on this, but here it goes.
I ordered a 5 stone wedding band a little over a month before my wedding. The jeweler called me approx. 2 wks before we leave saying that there was a problem with my ring, and he wanted to change the setting. I was hesitant to agree to a change in setting. He call me back less than an hour later telling me that he was able to find me my setting, and not to worry I was going to get what I wanted.
When I finally pick up the ring, while it has 5 stones; it was not the ring that I had ordered. It was set ridiculously high, almost as if it was 5 engagement rings set in a row. The jeweler persuades me to take the ring, and get married with it (it was a destination wedding) and when I got back from my honeymoon, I was to return to the store and they would then order me the correct ring. I reluctantly agree, since I was leaving for the wedding in less than 3 days- and where was I going to get a ring in that amount of time?
Once I got home, I discussed it with my fiancé, and we both agree that we don''t want the risk of taking the incorrect ring on the trip with us. We were so disappointed with the jeweler and just wanted to return ring and not do any more business with them. We left the ring with my mother-in-law with instructions to return the ring and all documents necessary. Once we returned from our trip, we are told that the jeweler refused a refund.
I call the jeweler, and he refuses to refund stating that I agreed to come back after the trip to correct the setting. We go back and forth on the phone to no agreement.
I tried to go through the credit card company to resolve this, however they state that I do not have a "right to dispute" since the jeweler is still willing to make the correct ring. I told the credit card company that I did not have the ring that I ordered for my wedding as promised, so I should have been given a refund.
So what can I do at this point? I do not want to go back to that jeweler to "fix" my ring, b/c I am so unhappy with their service I do not even know if I can trust them to give me the correct ring in the quality that it should be at. Is there any other way that I can try to resolve this?
(Attached are picture of the ring so you can see how poorly it was done)
39.gif

DSCN0602-cropped2.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Oh you are right that is hideous
emcry.gif
...what was the real one suposed to look like? How long does he want to get you the correct one? What is he offering if he doesnt get it done be specifed date? I am so sorry you credit card company wont help.
38.gif

nutella

Rough_Rock
The real one was supposed to be set much lower...similar to an eternity band buth with much less stones! I think the new ring would take another few weeks, but at this point, the wedding has passed- I didn''t get married with the ring I wanted, etc. I am just really disappointed in the jeweler that that they didn''t get me my ring in time and now they won''t refund.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
I understand your disappointment, but the jeweler does seem to be willing to correct the problem. Why not allow him to make you the ring you originally ordered, and then if that doesn''t work out, then you can ask for the refund? Unfortunately, mistakes do happen, and at this point, it doesn''t seem like the jeweler is being too ridiculous.

Just my opinion of course...

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
You are the ones who changed the agreement...not only that, you sent your MIL to demand the refund. The jeweler agreed to re-do the ring, and I think you should allow them to do so. Yes the ring is not what you wanted, but you did agree to allow them to attempt to make it right. There seems to be blame on both sides here. They made you an odd looking ring, but you agreed to one thing, and are now reneging on that agreement. The credit card company is doing the right thing, it surely sucks that you are having to go through this, but I think you should give the jeweler a chance to make good.

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with everyone -- get the band that you originally wanted and be done with this jeweler.

I know how you feel about not having the original band you were married in. I don''t either. I''ll tell you my story to try to make you feel better --

I originally had a shadow band made for my e-ring. The jeweler took 6 weeks to make the band and I got it two weeks before our wedding. I hated the way it looked. So I went to another jeweler (in the mall) and bought a channel set half eternity band. They said it was going to take 10 days to have it sized correctly. (This was way before I discovered PS, so what did I know). I picked up my band 3 days before my wedding. I took it out of the box at the store and tried it on to make sure it fit. I put it back in the box and went to my car. When I got in the car I took the ring out again b/c I wanted to see it in the sunlight and noticed the last diamond was missing! I went back to the store and showed the clerk and she couldn''t believe it. She said there was no way to get me a new band or get it fixed in two days and to come back after our honeymoon. After the wedding I put the ring back in the box and left it at home. When we got back from our 3 day honeymoon I went back to the store. The sales clerk wasn''t there that day so I dealt directly with the manager. He said she did not leave him any note about this, but b/c I did not buy the "extended warranty", I would have to pay to have the diamond replaced. After arguing with the guy for a few minutes I called my husband to have him talk to him. The manager wouldn''t budge -- he was making us pay for fixing the ring. I then abruptly asked for a refund as I wanted nothing more to do with this store. I thought he was going to deny it through some loophole, but I was definitely within the 30 day window so he had to grant it. I then went to another store and bought the 5 stone band that I wear today.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with MrsFrk. You agreed to have the jeweler take the ring back and have the right one given to you that you ordered. By having your MIL go in and demand a refund, that wasn''t what you had a agreed to. You altered the agreement and now want a refund. I would allow him the chance to get you what you had originally ordered and be done with it. JMHO.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is a really tough situation, because technically the jeweler is willing to remake the ring, and you did agree to let him do so. So even though you''re not happy with the first version (that was just plain wrong) and had to get married with it anyway, he isn''t trying to pull a fast one on you at this point...it''s just that you''ve changed your mind and no longer want a ring made by him, because of all the turmoil you''ve gone through. At this point it seems you have to let him remake it, as your cc company won''t even dispute this for you. And then if the ring is not how you wanted it to be in the first place...you may have some recourse with the cc company, as you paid for an item and did not receive that item to your satisfaction.

nutella

Rough_Rock
Thanks all for the advice! I agree that that is all I can do at this point. I am just worried that the jeweler will be po''d about me trying to refund that he will give me some shotty ring.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/28/2005 7:36:44 PM
Author: nutella
Thanks all for the advice! I agree that that is all I can do at this point. I am just worried that the jeweler will be po''d about me trying to refund that he will give me some shotty ring.
If he does, THAT is something you CAN dispute with the cc company if it came right down to it and he didn''t try to fix the situation. "I paid for x ring, and the workmanship on the one I received is NOT acceptable. He is unwilling to rectify the situation, so I have not received what I paid for and want a refund."

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
Hopefully, he will be able to put the past aside, and work with you to make your wedding ring precisely what you want! Please remember to post pics once it''s done right.
1.gif
Good luck, I think that this situation is still very salvageable. Congratulations on your wedding, here''s to many happy years together.

nutella

Rough_Rock
Just to update everyone- I went back to the jeweler on 8/1 and I gave them the incorrect ring, and gave the o.k. for ordering the correct one. I asked the jeweler how long it would take to make the correct ring, he said about a week- but he was going to order the was mouldings so that I could see excatly what would be used for the ring.

I was called back on Wednesday 8/3, and I had to drive all the way back to the jeweler (approx. 40 minutes away) to approve the wax moulding. He then told me that he would call me on Monday (8/8) to update me on the ring.
Well, 8/8 came around and no call. I finally called him on thursday 8/11, and he said that as of that morning the ring was in "casting"- which is the stage that all went to hell the first time around. He told me to call him back the next week to check on it. I called today- and he was not there and the other sales people supposedly "did not have access" to my file. So, now I have to call back again tomorow.

If I haven''t already lost my patience with this store, I don''t know how I can keep it together anymore. It is close to 3 months since I initially ordered my ring....the wedding has come and gone and still nothing. Part of what makes me so bitter is how poorly I have been serviced during this whole transaction. The ring only totals 1 ct, and is supposed to range G-H VS2, and set in platinum, and it cost me a little over $5000 (with tax included). Now I know that this was a ridiculous price, but I thought this was a reputable jeweler in one of the nicer towns on Long Island, so I thought I would get quality merchandise and quality service. None of which I have received to date. I almost want to cry every time I see a similar ring, priced at half the amount.
38.gif

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/17/2005 4:23:04 PM
Author: nutella
Just to update everyone- I went back to the jeweler on 8/1 and I gave them the incorrect ring, and gave the o.k. for ordering the correct one. I asked the jeweler how long it would take to make the correct ring, he said about a week- but he was going to order the was mouldings so that I could see excatly what would be used for the ring.

I was called back on Wednesday 8/3, and I had to drive all the way back to the jeweler (approx. 40 minutes away) to approve the wax moulding. He then told me that he would call me on Monday (8/8) to update me on the ring.
Well, 8/8 came around and no call. I finally called him on thursday 8/11, and he said that as of that morning the ring was in ''casting''- which is the stage that all went to hell the first time around. He told me to call him back the next week to check on it. I called today- and he was not there and the other sales people supposedly ''did not have access'' to my file. So, now I have to call back again tomorow.

If I haven''t already lost my patience with this store, I don''t know how I can keep it together anymore. It is close to 3 months since I initially ordered my ring....the wedding has come and gone and still nothing. Part of what makes me so bitter is how poorly I have been serviced during this whole transaction. The ring only totals 1 ct, and is supposed to range G-H VS2, and set in platinum, and it cost me a little over $5000 (with tax included). Now I know that this was a ridiculous price, but I thought this was a reputable jeweler in one of the nicer towns on Long Island, so I thought I would get quality merchandise and quality service. None of which I have received to date. I almost want to cry every time I see a similar ring, priced at half the amount.
38.gif
I feel bad for you. While you pretty much had no choice other than to allow this jeweler the opportunity to make a new ring, it does sound like his price was much higher than you might have paid somewhere else, and he did get it wrong the first time. Add to the fact that you had to get married without your wedding ring! To a lot of people, that would have been a major major big deal, since a lot of people do put a high sentimental value (and some a religious meaning) with the band used in the ceremony. Add to THAT the extra time and inconvenience this whole thing has placed on you! I don''t think that you would be out of line to ask him for a price adjustment on your ring. And I would be firm about it.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree, some type of compensation should be given at this point. If it were me I would try my best to get a full refund, of course what type of return policy do they have? If you can''t get a refund at least ask for a discount. I''m so sorry, i can only imagine how sad and frustrated you are. I would give THEM a deadline, since they''ve missed all the ones they''ve given themselves and say if it''s not done and done right by .......I wan''t my money back....hopefully a reputable store will stand by good customer service and do the right thing.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. Sometimes custom work can really be a pain if you're dealing with a vendor that can't seem to keep a simple timeline on track...over and over and over again. Is this guy gone the whole day? If I've called and the owner/etc isn't in, I like to call again just before closing since (if it's the owner) there's a good chance she/he will be there to close up shop. Usually the salespeople have no idea what's going on with custom stuff, unfortunately.

Try to remain calm...it is a tough call since you know you're overpaying for the item and still can't get decent service. Hopefully it will result in a beautiful ring, and you walking out of the store never to return!!! But keep on these guys to get back to you/communicate with you...if I've called several times and feel like I'm getting a runaround, I politely but VERY firmly remind them that I am PAYING for a service and I expect it to be done, to my satisfaction, when promised....and avoiding my phone calls/skirting the issue will not make me go away. Not for that much money. Good luck...!!!

ETA: I wanted to comment on Mrssalvo's post...the idea of giving THEM a deadline...I did this with my custom job. I got so fed up week after week of stalling and no results that I said, "Look, if you don't produce X to my satisfaction by Y date, I demand you return my payment and will take my business elsewhere."

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
Bummer to hear your situation. I agree with talking to the owner and asking for some sort of compensation. You came to his store, with this in mind, paying good money for quality service and quality goods! 3 months is a long time. I understand he is fixing the problem, which is a positive, but for putting you through this misery by not being very helpful, he should be taking a discount off the ring. That's a given, in any business. You shouldn't be the one to have to call back all the time. It should be he that should be calling you and following up, giving you an update on the ring, regardless if it's ready or not. He should be keeping you in the loop, so you're not at home wondering on the progress of the ring. He should be treating this situation with as much concern as you are. Placing himself in the customer's shoes is the best way to solve a problem and impress the customer.

I worked in a Customer Relations Manager position for 2 car dealerships and I faced many customers who were upset that something did not go as they had expected, either with product or service. My job was to find out the problem first, fix it and of course offer some way of compensating for that mistake. People don't realize that when a problem arrives, it is not a PROBLEM! It is an OPPORTUNITY for them to fix it and make a loyal customer out of you. A customer will be much loyal towards a business if they had a problem and the business fixed with it ease and provided excellent service, than a customer who never had a problem at all.

nutella

Rough_Rock
I finally got my correctly set ring! I got the call last Friday- just 2 days shy of a whole 3 months after it was ordered.
While I am not ever going back to the jeweler again (not sure if I can actually give the name, but it is a well known store located on the North Shore of Long Island, whose claim to fame is having one of it''s owners appraise a very famous colored diamond that was showcased in famous movie about a doomed cruise liner) I do love the end product.

Attached is a pic of the final product- after all this, it''s just a plain old wedding ring!

DSCN1215 for PS.JPG

nutella

Rough_Rock
the side view

side view for PS.JPG

nutella

Rough_Rock
with my e-ring...which I hope to eventually re-set. I am in preliminary contact with Mark Morrell, so hopefully he will be able to work some of his magic on my oddly set e-ring!

e-ring & w- ring for PS.JPG

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
That looks soo much better!
36.gif
And is lovely, congrats!

SquareCut

Shiny_Rock
Congrats! The ring is beautiful. Please tell us at what jeweler made it.

anika

Shiny_Rock
Hi Nutella,
Your reset wedding ring looks perfect!

Enjoy,

Anika

nutella

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone!

The jeweler who made was Freedman Jewelers in Huntington, NY.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well I''m glad that''s over with! The redone ring looks BEAUTIFUL and perfect...very nice combo with the e-ring...you''ve got 3 diamond shapes covered with that wedding set! Way cool!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Well, you were certainly put through the wringer, but the end result is beautiful!! I''m sure Mark will do wonders w/ your new e-ring setting too!! (Love the heart sidestones!!)

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats on finally getting your ring done! It looks beautiful.
36.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Yay!! Finally!! LOL

It''s gorgeous!
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results