shape
carat
color
clarity

Triple Ex VVS2 or VS1

mlewisii

Rough_Rock
Hello,

Can someone explain to me, the darker VVS2, and the darker ring around the center? I am looking at these two stones. Here are the numbers for both. Can it be, just a better camera angle and lighting on the VS1? Looking at stones online, can be a little frustrating.

Stone on the left:
0.91 ct. H VVS2 Triple Ex.
58 Table
61.1 Depth
34.5 CA
41 PA
Medium Girdle (3.5%)
Fluorescence - Faint
HCA - 1.9

Stone on the right:
0.90 ct. H VS1 Triple Ex.
58 Table
60.9 Depth
34 CA
40.6 PA
Medium - Slightly Thick Girdle (4%)
Fluorescence - None
HCA - 0.8

image-5318_0.jpg

pittin

Rough_Rock
I'm no expert, but I have two theories.

A) One diamond's photograph may appear darker due to issues with taking the photo. Maybe the diamond was slightly tilted or something.

B) The HCA 1.9 stone has EX, Vg, Vg, Vg rating. The HCA says its light return is excellent, but the 3 other dimensions are only rated as very good. The HCA 0.9 stone has Ex, Ex, Ex, Vg rating across those dimensions, which is pretty standard. I have not come across any in my searches that have an Ex rated Spread.

mlewisii

Rough_Rock
I've done quite a bit of digging. The only thing I found was that it might be "Table Reflection". The trouble that I have though, is with the numbers, I shouldn't see that much reflection. I don't think it is "fish eye". Am I correct about that? Any help, is greatly appreciated.

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
Both of these stones have different photography setups with different lighting. One is actually a still photo and the other one is photo from a videography device.

What you see there in the first stone is not an uncommon phenomenon with deeper Pavillions and it looks like what is known as clustering. That's obstruction. And in real life it may not be black. In real life even those arrows are not always black :)

HCA only gives out an Ex spread for stones with depth % 60.2 or less (i think).

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
And yes that's not fish eye. Fish eye literally looks like a girdle under the table and is not black and is only for diamonds with larger tables (in face up view that is, you can always see girdle through table if you tilt the diamond enough).

mlewisii

Rough_Rock
What is considered deeper pavilions? I thought the numbers on the left stone, were great. What am I missing?

Here are all of the stats, from the cert.

58% Table
61.1% Depth
34.5 deg. CA
41 deg. PA
14.5% Crown height
43% Pav. depth
Stars 50%
LGH 80%
Med Girdle (3.5%)

Will I have any issues with this stone?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results