shape
carat
color
clarity

Trilliant side stones. Please HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

anothernewbie

Rough_Rock
I''ve read all of the posts about trillions, trilliants, trielles, etc.... and am more confused than ever. Since I realize there are no hard facts for fancy shapes, I''ll settle for opinions.

1. Are trills brilliant enough to put beside a AGS000 H&A? I don''t want to take away from the center stone.
2. What are good depth and table percentages?
3. What size would be best for a 1.4ct center?
4. Anything else to ask while shopping for trills?

Thanks in advance,

J

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know enough about trilliants to answer your questions, but I have seen some simple three stone settings that used trillions (I believe that is a trademarked cut, but the shape applies) and they were gorgeous next to a round. They have a softer, more rounded triangle shape versus the typical very straight-sided look. Good luck with your questions.
10.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 1/28/2004 11:56:20 PM anothernewbie wrote:

Let's take these issues in turn:

I've read all of the posts about trillions, trilliants, trielles, etc.... and am more confused than ever.

All these are great ways for cutters to use shallow, tringular rough which would not yield anything else. Any brand of Tri-anything will not guarantee optics... as far as I know.

1. Are trills brilliant enough to put beside a AGS000 H&A? I don't want to take away from the center stone.

I think they can stand nicely near the best round. Few fancies would match that brilliance, but this is beyond the point. A good match has to be seen to be apreciated, and may not depend on the simmilarities between the stones only.

2. What are good depth and table percentages?

Depth is the biggest issue with triliants. If "bad" rounds are cut overly deap to maximize weight, triliants are cut overly shallow to make use of that tricky rough before it gets made into drills. These are shallow stones by default (depths under 50% are common), so if you find some with 55%-60% depth, chances are they are also well cut. You should match the size of the tables for side stones. I would not go for a big (say above 65%) table, but if you like the look... why not.

3. What size would be best for a 1.4ct center?

Dimensions (diameter and side of the trillions) should be considered, not weights. This is a matter of taste - ideally your taste, not mine. I would prefer the side of the trilion (-ant, -elle, whatever) to be about 3/4 of the diameter of the center and no smaller than 2/3, for example. If this matters, you could play a bit with the shapes to get an idea, or use the ring builder at adiamondisforever.com to model options.

4. Anything else to ask while shopping for trills?
Ask for depth and get an IdealScope with you if you want. HERE's what you may seek to see through it at best.

----------------

One more: these side stones are best supplied by the jeweler: he may have access to more options and better prices than you, since these shapes are not often offered retail. It may help to talk in advance with the ring maker and ask to choose among a few sizes of trilliants he has in stock. Also, asking for well-cut ones may produce surprisingly fiery results. No idea if this is relevant at all, but some of the nicest trills I came accross were offered by jewelryexpert.com for their custom solitaires (or any other model, I would think) - if you may consider a custom-made ring.

Hope this helps....

anothernewbie

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the great info. I'll check out the website you metioned.

J

anothernewbie

Rough_Rock
Anyone else care to share their wisdom?

confused.gif
confused.gif

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I will add to that. Trilliant side diamonds should never be lower in color than the center diamond. They don't tend to show color like you might expect. Also when they get a little dirty, they go dull. I mean DULL!! Keep them clean.

rfs87

Rough_Rock
Do you really think that trill's look good next to a round? Personally, I have found pears to look better. Putting a rounded edge of the pear next to the round really complements the center while putting a straight edge of a trillion next to a round makes a barrier. Check it out. You might like it

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results