shape
carat
color
clarity

Tribute to our beloved furry family members who are now at Rainbow Bridge

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many PSers are animal lovers and with great love and joy there is great grief when our sweet furry family members leave us. I thought it might be uplifting to share our memories and photos of our sweet furbabies who are no longer with us. Our furry family members we miss so much and will always love.

calvinandhobbespets.jpg

Anyone care to share?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
“The risk of love is loss, and the price of loss is grief. But the pain of grief is only a shadow when compared with the pain of never risking love.”

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.

Dogs are small rays of light caught on Earth for a short time to brighten our days.

The worst thing about losing your dog is not having someone there to lick your tears away.

No one can truly understand why dogs are called
“man’s best friend” until they have experienced the loss of one.

Having a dog will bless you with the happiest days of your life,
and one of the worst days.

Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them, and filling an emptiness we didn’t ever know we had.

The bond with a dog is as lasting as the ties of this earth can ever be.

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.

No one can truly understand the bond that we form with our cats
we love until they experience the loss of one.

The memories and paw print of a beloved cat remains
in our heart and soul forever.

When people say “its just a cat” they just don’t understand.

The loss of a cat is immeasurable. But so is the love left behind.

No heaven will not ever Heaven be. Unless my cats are there to welcome me.

Cats are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.

And of course my favorite quote and my tag line:
“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened. ”

The Rainbow Bridge
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies
that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm
and comfortable. All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health
and vigour; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again,
just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and
looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers.
Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs
carrying him faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your
special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again.

The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head,
and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your
life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together.

-Unknown

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @missy. We lost our sweet girl on Thursday, and at the moment, the pain is unbearable, but we would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

40458F38-30C1-4A0D-8444-7D1923ECE068.jpeg EA124590-12AF-4A96-BF24-9B0539A390F9.png

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @missy. We lost our sweet girl on Thursday, and at the moment, the pain is unbearable, but we would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

40458F38-30C1-4A0D-8444-7D1923ECE068.jpeg EA124590-12AF-4A96-BF24-9B0539A390F9.png

I started this thread for you @Austina and was hoping you would share. I didn't want to call you out though as I wasn't sure you were ready. I know it helps ease my pain when I share about my furbabies. And I hope sharing here somehow eases your pain a bit. The pain is intense I know. The heartache real. Our furry family members are often the best of our family. The love we share with them unconditional and pure. I am so very sorry. Sending you so much love and hugs. I hope you find comfort in the wonderful life you gave and shared with Dottie. And I hope it brings you some solace knowing we are feeling your pain and mourning with you. We loved Dottie too and though it isn't the same we many of us know a similar pain and are keeping you in our thoughts. You are not alone dear Austina. XOXO.

Attachments

• frankieasbabyinbed.png
    frankieasbabyinbed.png
    779 KB · Views: 34
  • frankieasababyinbed.jpg
    frankieasababyinbed.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 58
  • frankieontiger.png
    frankieontiger.png
    299.7 KB · Views: 59
  • frankieonblinds.jpg
    frankieonblinds.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 52
  • frankieatsunset.jpg
    frankieatsunset.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 53
  • picfromaround1970grandmagrandpamomdadanneharveydebbieandmeandapache.jpg
    picfromaround1970grandmagrandpamomdadanneharveydebbieandmeandapache.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 58
  • missyandapachejpg.JPG
    missyandapachejpg.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 56
  • billysashes.jpg
    billysashes.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 55
  • BillyFreezer.jpeg
    BillyFreezer.jpeg
    62.3 KB · Views: 54
  • caseyanddamien.jpg
    caseyanddamien.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 57

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Austina the heartbreak is very real. I hope the sweet memories of your time together give you comfort in this difficult time.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will share a bit now too. We have loved many furry family members over the decades. I still love them all. The most recent and devastating loss is that of our darling daughter Francesca. We will always love her. It was a shocking diagnosis and we lost her a week later. It was so fast.:cry2:

HRH Francesca. She was our darling girl and we treated her like the princess she was. Sweet and sassy and so special. Our heart kitty.

When she was a wee one.

frankieonblinds.jpg

frankieasababyinbed.jpg

On her paper mâché tiger

frankieontiger.png

She adored the sun. She was a heat seeker.

frankieatsunset.jpg

She loved to lay in my lap (for the heat I am sure) and I loved it too. What a joy she was. In every way. I miss her every single day but am grateful for the time we had together. Though too short it was a privilege having her in our family and we will always love her. Always. She was so much of our world.

RIP Francesca darling girl
April 2009-June 2019

My very first furry baby loss was our dog Apache. My parents adopted him when they were pregnant with me in 1965. He was the love of our lives and in fact the first time I ever saw my dad cry was when our beloved Apache died. He was but 9. Boxers don't live very long and I forget exactly what was wrong with him but my parents spent thousands (they were not rich and this was the mid 70s) on an experimental operation to try saving him. It didn't work but they don't regret it. He was their son and our brother. He was the sweetest dog. And so smart and loving and just a great personality.

picfromaround1970grandmagrandpamomdadanneharveydebbieandmeandapache.jpg

missyandapachejpg.JPG

Dearest Apache. 1965-1974 RIP

Then there was Billy. What can I say about Billy? He was my very first heart kitty. Smart and sweet like sugar. He came to me with his brother Butch who was a little spitfire. Butch was the smartest cat and so brave. He had no fear. Unlike Billy who was afraid of some things Butch was fearless. I lost Butch to an aggressive autoimmune disease. He was only 7:cry2:. Billy lived to almost 16 and we are so lucky to have had them both in our life. Truly. Special cats both of them. Then there was Buster my very first cat ever. I rescued him at the pound the year before Billy and Butch found me. He was the first cat to play fetch. So smart. And always liked to thwart my dates haha. He was relentless. He didn't stop Greg though and nor did Greg's pretty severe allergies get the better of us. Greg fell in love with Billy, Butch and Buster just like I did when I first got them. Buster died of cancer (don't remember which kind) around age 14/15.
Miss them all. So very different but all so special and smart and loving. We have been very fortunate with our furry family members.

billybutchandbuster.jpg

LOL Billy in my parents freezer.
BillyFreezer.jpeg

They were watching the cats when Greg and I were away on vacation. Haha how did he get in there. I forgot to mention Billy LOVED food. He would take the food off my dad's fork. He would lick my popsicle stick. He was hilarious and very vocal. RIP Billy. Sept 1993-June 2009

billysashes.jpg

Cannot forget about Oscar. He was the neighborhood dog. A stray who refused to be contained. Until one day he decided we were it. And he chose us and stayed with us from that moment on. What a good boy. I don't know how old he was when he came to stay with us but I do know he was a joy and delight.

Oscarandme.jpeg

And we had lots of small animals in between. Guinea pigs (love their lips). And gerbils. With each loss we experienced much pain. Even with the Guinea pigs and gerbils. We loved them. Funny story. We got Adam and Eve and thought they were the same sex. Anyway nope they weren't and they had so many babies. And they all escaped one day. OMG. My dad found every one of them but one and you should have seen what he went through to find that one who he finally did find a day later. After many holes drilled in our walls. My parents are crazy animal people too. I don't have photos of the gerbils but I do have of the Guinea Pigs. Casey, Damien and Cornelius.

caseyanddamien.jpg
Casey and Damien

corneliusandme.jpg
Cornelius and me

And all the beloved boxers my family has loved and lost over the years. White boxers are so special. Their personalities amazing. They are generally put down by breeders as they have recessive traits and are not good for breeding.:cry2: Heinous I know. But my sister saves all the white boxers she can. They are cherished and adored by my family. RIP Harley, Jessie and Tara.

sweetdearHarleysummer2015.jpg

harleyandtara.jpg

Not inclusive of all our furbabies but I think that's enough for now. I hope others will share in this thread if it helps ease the pain somewhat. Our furry babies will live on in our hearts always.

I hope there is a kitty and dog heaven and that we are allowed entry when it is our time. I want to be reunited with all our beloved furbabies. We didn't have enough time with them but I know it would never be enough time. :/ And I am grateful they shared our lives with us no matter how brief a time it was. That time was golden and special and for that I will be forever grateful.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
IMG_20190917_134544197.jpg IMG_20190918_101508989.jpg I lost a foster kitten about 2 weeks ago. She suddenly got sick, and turned quick. I was up with her every 4 hours, syringe feeding food and water. Her name was Sorbet.

IMG_20190915_195830174.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_20190917_134544197.jpg IMG_20190918_101508989.jpg I lost a foster kitten about 2 weeks ago. She suddenly got sick, and turned quick. I was up with her every 4 hours, syringe feeding food and water. Her name was Sorbet.

IMG_20190915_195830174.jpg

Aww so sorry Eliza. :( Sorbet was lucky she had you in her very brief life. You gave her comfort and love. At least she knew love.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry @elizat what a little sweetie she was :(2

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy, this thread is breaking my heart.
Firstly, let me give my condolences to @Austina on the loss of her dear Dottie. Austina, she was a beautiful girl, and so loved! And loving them is the most wonderful thing we can give them.
Missy, you did the absolute best for Francesca. And for all the years you had her, she was the Queen. A cat could not have lived a better life, with Missy and Greg to love her!
@elizat, you are an angel on Earth to care for the little ones. Sorry, I cant type anymore cause I have to wipe my eyes.....
But here is a photo of my heart cat Phrix, who was 15 when we lost him last year to kidney disease.
He used to sleep with me and curl up around my head and neck at night. He was a big boy, and I could hardly breathe...but I let him do it because I loved him so much.
In warm weather he loved to lay spread eagle on the
kitchen floor. I would get down on the floor with him and bury my face in his furry belly. IMG_20170809_053900885.jpg
IMG_20160518_180823171.jpg

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry for your lost @Austina And everyone else who has shared. I am constantly aware that we can (and will) lose our puppy to her liver problem and it will be heartbreaking. So I snuggle her as much as possible, and so does DH.
20190927_073647.jpg 20190928_193647.jpg

And this silly creature is turning 10 on oct 5th. I'm trying to remain in denial that she's getting old.
20190808_220423.jpg

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m in Maryland now so don’t have a pic with me..but I lost my son’s...really mine after he went to college...dog, Gordie..about nine years ago. If you can believe it I still tear up when I remember him. He was a reddish golden retriever..very loving...but a little nutty. My son, Scott, wanted a dog..He is the middle son...who kind of got lost in the shuffle because I then had my last boy who is Autistic...who took up all my time...I tried to give Scott all the attention I could but he got slim pickings during those stressful times. When he asked for a dog I couldn’t say no. Gordie became my therapy dog. If I was upset after my son got on the bus...Gordie would climb on my lap and put his head on my shoulder. I was enveloped in fur. He was a big dog..When Gordie was thirteen....the vet said he had major digestive issues and couldn’t eat regular dog food anymore and maybe it was time to let him go. I asked if he was in pain..and he said no..We put him on painkillers and I started cooking for him. The vet said to just give him anything that he would like to eat because I wouldn’t be able to make his diet nutritionally complete...He was on borrowed time...I made him breakfast, lunch and dinner...from November to March. I didn’t leave the house longer than an hour so I could be home...He would wag his tail when he would see me and sit by the stove and watch me make his meals. He ate all his favorites...bananas..green beans...cooked chicken...rice...pretty much anything he looked like he had an interest in I would make him. He tolerated all the new strange food well..I was on alert for pain signs..but he looked very comfortable. One morning my husband got up early for work....He came upstairs to tell me that Gordie was out of it..I ran downstairs. He didn’t run to the stove as usual but wanted to go out only for me...not my husband..I took him out..He did his business...came inside and looked up at the ceiling and took his last breath. It haunts me to this day. I’m crying as I write this...He was the best boy..Thank you for listening...

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't read this thread because I just find it too sad, but I really wanted to say how sorry I am about everyone's furry treasures.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m sorry about your pup @lovedogs, what a cutie. Hopefully you’ll have your little one for many more years.

You never get over the loss @Mamabean, your Gordie sounds like a real character. When I think of my lovely Harry, who we lost 8 years ago, I still cry. He had problems with persistent colitis all his life, but looking back, we just got on with it and coped.

BBDB9941-A618-4F52-A6B1-C6B56522CAF9.jpeg

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m sorry about your pup @lovedogs, what a cutie. Hopefully you’ll have your little one for many more years.

You never get over the loss @Mamabean, your Gordie sounds like a real character. When I think of my lovely Harry, who we lost 8 years ago, I still cry. He had problems with persistent colitis all his life, but looking back, we just got on with it and coped.

BBDB9941-A618-4F52-A6B1-C6B56522CAF9.jpeg
Harry is adorable @Austina Gordie had colitis too. They have better meds for that now..Bailey has it going the other way..He takes a prescription med and Prilosec daily that helps.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread is beautiful but very sad. Huge condolences to those who have lost pets also. It's really, really tough. We lost 5 cats throughout my childhood / teenage years, who were all gorgeous & quirky.

Currently now, as a proper grown up, I own my 2 beautiful cats who both turned 5 a week ago. And so now, at some point hopefully in the very far future, my girls will have to learn about the cycle of life.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy, this thread is breaking my heart.
Firstly, let me give my condolences to @Austina on the loss of her dear Dottie. Austina, she was a beautiful girl, and so loved! And loving them is the most wonderful thing we can give them.
Missy, you did the absolute best for Francesca. And for all the years you had her, she was the Queen. A cat could not have lived a better life, with Missy and Greg to love her!
@elizat, you are an angel on Earth to care for the little ones. Sorry, I cant type anymore cause I have to wipe my eyes.....
But here is a photo of my heart cat Phrix, who was 15 when we lost him last year to kidney disease.
He used to sleep with me and curl up around my head and neck at night. He was a big boy, and I could hardly breathe...but I let him do it because I loved him so much.
In warm weather he loved to lay spread eagle on the
kitchen floor. I would get down on the floor with him and bury my face in his furry belly. IMG_20170809_053900885.jpg
IMG_20160518_180823171.jpg

Aww @stracci2000, phrix was a love. I am so very sorry for your loss. Phrix was a lucky boy having you as his mommy and of course you were lucky to have him. And he was so handsome.:love: So happy you shared 15 wonderful years together. Thank you for your kind words re Francesca. One thing we don't regret is that we always told and showed her just how much we loved and adored her. She knew. Thank you dear Stracci.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry for your lost @Austina And everyone else who has shared. I am constantly aware that we can (and will) lose our puppy to her liver problem and it will be heartbreaking. So I snuggle her as much as possible, and so does DH.
20190927_073647.jpg 20190928_193647.jpg

And this silly creature is turning 10 on oct 5th. I'm trying to remain in denial that she's getting old.
20190808_220423.jpg

Aww what a sweetheart. Just cherish and love them @lovedogs and enjoy every moment. Try not looking too far ahead. I know it's hard to do because I am forever thinking of the future and what it will bring but living in the moment is so much better. Sending you hugs and good wishes and hoping your fur baby lives a long happy life with you guys.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m in Maryland now so don’t have a pic with me..but I lost my son’s...really mine after he went to college...dog, Gordie..about nine years ago. If you can believe it I still tear up when I remember him. He was a reddish golden retriever..very loving...but a little nutty. My son, Scott, wanted a dog..He is the middle son...who kind of got lost in the shuffle because I then had my last boy who is Autistic...who took up all my time...I tried to give Scott all the attention I could but he got slim pickings during those stressful times. When he asked for a dog I couldn’t say no. Gordie became my therapy dog. If I was upset after my son got on the bus...Gordie would climb on my lap and put his head on my shoulder. I was enveloped in fur. He was a big dog..When Gordie was thirteen....the vet said he had major digestive issues and couldn’t eat regular dog food anymore and maybe it was time to let him go. I asked if he was in pain..and he said no..We put him on painkillers and I started cooking for him. The vet said to just give him anything that he would like to eat because I wouldn’t be able to make his diet nutritionally complete...He was on borrowed time...I made him breakfast, lunch and dinner...from November to March. I didn’t leave the house longer than an hour so I could be home...He would wag his tail when he would see me and sit by the stove and watch me make his meals. He ate all his favorites...bananas..green beans...cooked chicken...rice...pretty much anything he looked like he had an interest in I would make him. He tolerated all the new strange food well..I was on alert for pain signs..but he looked very comfortable. One morning my husband got up early for work....He came upstairs to tell me that Gordie was out of it..I ran downstairs. He didn’t run to the stove as usual but wanted to go out only for me...not my husband..I took him out..He did his business...came inside and looked up at the ceiling and took his last breath. It haunts me to this day. I’m crying as I write this...He was the best boy..Thank you for listening...

Of course I believe you are still sad and cry over Gordie. They are our furry children whom we love so much and always will. Sending you hugs and love Joanne.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't read this thread because I just find it too sad, but I really wanted to say how sorry I am about everyone's furry treasures.

Thank you Jambalaya. I am sorry to start sad threads but I thought those of us who have lost furry family members might find comfort in sharing photos and memories of them here. But yes, it's a very sad thread. But I would rather deal with the grief of losing loved ones than never having had them in our lives. No matter how brief it is worth it. Though at the time we lose them it is hard to see the forest for the trees if you kwim because the grief and pain is so intense. At those times I wonder if I am crazy for wanting to rescue more.

Thanks for coming by and for your kind wishes.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread is beautiful but very sad. Huge condolences to those who have lost pets also. It's really, really tough. We lost 5 cats throughout my childhood / teenage years, who were all gorgeous & quirky.

Currently now, as a proper grown up, I own my 2 beautiful cats who both turned 5 a week ago. And so now, at some point hopefully in the very far future, my girls will have to learn about the cycle of life.

@Alex T, I think growing up with animals is one of the best gifts you can give your children. To learn about unconditional love and responsibility and learn about life and death. Nothing is better than having furry family members to teach your human children about love and life. You are a wonderful momma. And your kids and cats are so lucky to have you. I hope your cats live a long happy and healthy life with you and your girls. XO.

And I am so sorry about your losses. It is always so painful. I wish our furbabies could live a bit longer. Seems cruel their lives are so short. Goes by in a blink of an eye really. :/

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww @stracci2000, phrix was a love. I am so very sorry for your loss. Phrix was a lucky boy having you as his mommy and of course you were lucky to have him. And he was so handsome.:love: So happy you shared 15 wonderful years together. Thank you for your kind words re Francesca. One thing we don't regret is that we always told and showed her just how much we loved and adored her. She knew. Thank you dear Stracci.
You know, I found him in an alley when he was a kitten, all alone and hungry. I guess it was meant to be.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Jambalaya. I am sorry to start sad threads but I thought those of us who have lost furry family members might find comfort in sharing photos and memories of them here. But yes, it's a very sad thread. But I would rather deal with the grief of losing loved ones than never having had them in our lives. No matter how brief it is worth it. Though at the time we lose them it is hard to see the forest for the trees if you kwim because the grief and pain is so intense. At those times I wonder if I am crazy for wanting to rescue more.

Thanks for coming by and for your kind wishes.

I think it's a lovely thread, and I certainly didn't mean to sound critical, if it did! For me, personally, I just can't bear the sadness of animals passing - I've never had a pet and I just don't know how I'd cope when it passed away. It scares me. I know I'd get super-attached to it, and I just doubt my own resilience when it comes to grief.

This is a lovely thread to share memories of the furry treasures. :)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's a lovely thread, and I certainly didn't mean to sound critical, if it did! For me, personally, I just can't bear the sadness of animals passing - I've never had a pet and I just don't know how I'd cope when it passed away. It scares me. I know I'd get super-attached to it, and I just doubt my own resilience when it comes to grief.

This is a lovely thread to share memories of the furry treasures. :)

Thanks Jambalaya and I absolutely knew what you meant. I didn't think you were being critical. I am the one who cannot bear to watch the homeless animal commercials/ads. Breaks my heart. There's a lot I skip to protect myself. I get it. Thank you for your kind words.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly @Jambalaya , I totally understand what you mean, each time you tell yourself you can’t go through this again, but it’s worth all this amount of pain for the unconditional love you get back from them. After we got the call from the vets, we were on our way to be with Dottie to say goodbye, and my husband said that he couldn’t go through this again, its just too hard.

I know we will have another in time, we have such a huge hole in our hearts and our lives at the moment, that only the love of another dog will fill it. You are their everything, they rely on you for every part of their life, and the rewards far outweigh this unbearable grief.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry @Austina. Losing our pets is so hard. I still choke up when I think about our chocolate lab that we got before we got married. Huck lived to be 14 and was so full of life. He acted like a big dopey lab until the end. Gosh, I loved him.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
43EE8095-01AA-43AB-AFDB-E841D3AD14C5.jpeg
My Gordie...The photo is turning red. I don’t know how to correct it...I’m going to see if I can get someone to fix it...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results