shape
carat
color
clarity

Trellis vs. Traditional basket set 3 stone

lasposa

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of resetting my ring as a three stone. I've long loved the three stone crown settings of Scott Kay and ritani and wanted something similar. I've been told by my jeweler that my .80 center would not work well with this type of setting. :(( They recommended a trellis setting instead. I know it is a matter of personal taste but are there any special considerations that would make a trellis setting better or worse than a basket set three stone? I'm looking at BGD's cross trellis and open gallery accented styles. Can you wear a wedding band with a trellis setting and if so what kind would complement it? Thanks!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
what's wrong with the crown setting? also, can you post it?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm wondering why your jeweller thought the crown type settings won't work too, if by crown you mean what I am thinking of - a 0.8 is a great size for one of these IMO, big enough to make a statement but not so deep that it looks out of place perched in this sort of higher setting

Is this the type you mean?
Capture_1.png

Wedding band won't sit flush b/c of the surprise stone though, if that matters

slg47

Ideal_Rock
yes, if she is talking about what I think she is...my 3-stone is based on a similar design and I have a 1.1 carat cushion center (same width as the diameter of the size RB you are talking about...)

I think it works :)

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you gone into Jared to see how the scott kay looks? I"ve tried on a few but a soliatire and I imagine that this three stone is similar as well with the three stone portion tapering inwards, and a band does sit pretty flush (it tapers inward, but the shank itself sits flush with a band) Try some on before you gets your hopes up or dashed by your jeweler.

ETA: just to give an idea even though a surprise diamond is there, Geckodani has a scott kay solitaire and as you can see that it sits really flush wih the shanks of the ring.

But I would suggest trying on these pieces in person, if you can before you make your decision.

file.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think your jewler is wrong. That size stone looks great in basket style mounts.

lasposa

Rough_Rock
Hi ladies. Yes, the Scott Kay posted is the style I love. I've seen it and tried it in person. I want slightly bigger side stones so want to make a similar custom setting. The jeweler I'm working with thinks the stones are too small and will make it look cluttered. I'm not sure why a trellis would be different but they are well recommended on PS so I think they must know better than I do. I'll have to go out this week and try some other three styles on. Would Jareds be a good place to go to see lots of styles? Most of the stores around me have limited three stone selections.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results