shape
carat
color
clarity

treated diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Marshall

Rough_Rock
I need some info on treated diamonds. Do they have any more or less value than a cubic zirconium or a moissanite? Apparently, the GIA doesn''t grade them. Are they totally worthless? Is this a bad thing? I have seen one that I LOVE! and most of all, can afford. Are they worth anything at all? Please advise.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
A treated diamond is still a diamond, and will be worth far more than moissanite and exponentially more than cubic zirconia.

There are several types of treatment. The one you're probably referring to (that GIA doesn't do reports on) is clarity enhancement via the fracture filling method.

These diamonds sell at imperfect clarity prices, plus a premium for the cost of treatment and another premium for how well they look after being treated. They can look quite nice, and I would take one over a cz or moisannite any day.

If you do a search for "clarity enhancement", you'll probably pull up many posts dealing extensively with this topic.

Marshall

Rough_Rock
I work in a dental office and after 20 years, my diamond and emerald channel set band has a cracked emerald. I went to this jeweler to have it repaired and that's where I saw the treated diamond. It's about 1.25 carats and was sitting next to another diamond about the same size. I liked the treated diamond instantly ($2000) and felt that the other diamond ($11,000) had very little fire or sparkle to it. The jeweler told me it was a treated diamond by Yehuda and that I could purchase that for $2000. I was stunned. It really is beautiful. With kids in college, a large "untreated" diamond is just out of my spending priority right now. The jeweler was very honest with me and many people I know have purchased jewelery from him, that's how I got there. If I want a nice stone for not too much money that will last a lifetime if cared for properly (I would not wear it to work, prongs would pincture my gloves) do you think this is a smart purchase? I appreciate the advice.
wink2.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Yehuda is a company with an excellent reputation that sells clarity enhanced fracture filled stones.

These are stones which formerly are usually very imperfect to the eye, with surface-reaching fractures that show up as large white feathers when not treated.

They are treated by putting them in a vacuum, and sucking a molten glass-like resin down in the fractures. The glass has a closer refractive index to the diamond than air, and consequently renders the fractures almost invisible to the eye.

These stones can be quite nice looking, at very reasonable prices. There is definitely a place for them in the market for someone who wants a good looking diamond at a bargain price.

The things to be aware of are the durability factors. Large surface reaching feathers make a diamond less durable than one that doesn't have them. This is usually not a problem, but sometimes can be if the diamond takes a sharp blow in one form or another. The possibility of it cracking are significantly greater than non-enhanced stones.

You have to also warn any jeweler about to work on it that it is a Yehuda stone, and not to put the high temperature of a torch to it. The glass will melt and come out, reverting the stone back to it's original appearance.

This would not be the end of the world though, because Yehuda extends a lifetime guarantee to re-enhance any of their stones at no charge.

I would say if you like it, and don't mind the cautions, to go ahead and buy it. You'll get many years of pleasure out of owning a beautiful diamond which "only your jeweler can tell for sure".

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
There is nothing wrong with a treated diamond provided that you understand what you're buying... We're impressed that the jeweler disclosed the treatment, so many don't... The Yehuda treatment is essentially molten glass injected into the diamond where a crevice once was or an inclusion was removed with a laser... The treatment looks like this:

vsce30xside.jpg

vsce30x.jpg

The purple flashes visible here are the treated sections of the stone... The treatment is temporary in that it can be removed accidentally with a jewelers torch during repair operations, so it is important to disclose the treatment to any jeweler who works on the piece in the future for you... Don't worry if the treatment fails or is burnt out of the ring at some point in the future, Yehuda stands by their product and will re-treat the diamond free of charge...

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
If you're working on a budget, a Yehuda diamond, if worn properly, can be a great value and look nicer than many other stones... What clarity is the stone you're considering??
1.gif

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Just remember that if it is clarity enhanced the vendor selling it ,should disclose it.and yes they are worth much more than cz's. it is still a diamond that was filled to enhance it's clarity.
there are a few things that you should not do with them ,as the filling might come out, polish,soak in very hot water and not have it under extreme heat.

Marshall

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for your help and information. My husband and I are going tomorrow to look at the stone together. Your input has been extremely helpful!

Marshall

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for your help and information. My husband and I are going tomorrow to look at the stone together. Your input has been extremely helpful!

Marshall

Rough_Rock

Marshall

Rough_Rock

Marshall

Rough_Rock

Marshall

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your response. I don't know the clarity of the stone. My husband and I are going together tomorrow to talk with the jeweler. I will find out the details tomorrow. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results