shape
carat
color
clarity

Traveling with you prize diamond

4114heidi

Rough_Rock
Hi PSers-
I have always wondered this. Of course, no one wants to have anything happen to their sentimental rings or expensive rings, etc. We just bought a 2 carat diamond :think: . How do you travel with your diamond ring? Is there anything you do when you are out to protect yourself, such as tucking your diamond in your palms, etc. Do you leave your ring at home and when?
We just had a lady robbed at gunpoint in an area I live in and know things can happen. Please share pictures and stats of your ring and what you do when you travel or go out on the town or shop and are around a lot of people you don't know. Thanks in advance. :think:

Spin-Elle

Rough_Rock
4114heidi said:
Hi PSers-
I have always wondered this. Of course, no one wants to have anything happen to their sentimental rings or expensive rings, etc. We just bought a 2 carat diamond :think: . How do you travel with your diamond ring? Is there anything you do when you are out to protect yourself, such as tucking your diamond in your palms, etc. Do you leave your ring at home and when?
We just had a lady robbed at gunpoint in an area I live in and know things can happen. Please share pictures and stats of your ring and what you do when you travel or go out on the town or shop and are around a lot of people you don't know. Thanks in advance. :think:

Hi 4114heidi,

Firstly you should get insurance. My husband and I have insured my rings with jewelers mutual. Then depending on where you live or where you are traveling make a call on whether you wear it or not. I hardly ever wear my engagement ring outside of the house! It's really sad! My husband always worries that something will happen. However he did just buy me a gorgeous 5 stone ring from id jewelry to wear for some bling when I am out.
(I guess I should clarify we are doing the expat thing and are a long way from home; he never wants us to stand out too much...)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They also have it in a 2 carat size... [emoji1360][emoji322]

Spin-Elle

Rough_Rock
Msop04 This is such a good idea! And it looks great!!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spin-Elle said:

I was really surprised how nice it looked -- especially for $10!! The photos look like crap, but it looks really good IRL, I promise! [emoji16]

I'm going to try to find the link for the 2 ct... I know they have one.

Spin-Elle

Rough_Rock
msop04|1466305398|4045562 said:
Spin-Elle said:

I was really surprised how nice it looked -- especially for $10!! The photos look like crap, but it looks really good IRL, I promise! [emoji16]

Yours looks fantastic!! I'm sitting here wondering about all that money we spent on the real one LOL

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spin-Elle said:
msop04|1466305398|4045562 said:
Spin-Elle said:

Yours looks fantastic!! I'm sitting here wondering about all that money we spent on the real one LOL

Well, thank you! [emoji1374] ...but I wouldn't go that far! HA! [emoji16][emoji23][emoji23]

It is a great deal for the price, and if you lose it or it breaks -- so what!?!! Shell out another 10 bucks! [emoji12][emoji389]

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I always wear mine, I figure that is why I pay insurance, if something happens it can be replaced.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear my ER wherever I go because I want to enjoy wearing it and not keep it locked away. And I have insurance on it though I am not sure how easy it would be to replace I still want to be able to wear and enjoy it.

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
I have insurance and so I wear on vacation :)
If I am on the subway in NYC, I do admit I sometimes spin it towards my palm on occasion lol

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No one wears big diamonds where I travel, so I wear my most modest things.
If there is something more expensive I want to have with me I put it in a passport neck case
under clothes.
I have never cared for the idea of wearing a large fake. To me it is the same as wearing a real stone as far as a thief is concerned.
As I have mentioned here before my mom was mugged on the grounds of a posh resort early evening and dragged because she fought back.
She always wore her big stones and I don't know if that is why she was a target.
My rings are insured. I worry more about getting injured during a robbery than having things taken.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A robber isn't going to assess if your diamond is real or a CZ, so pulling a gun would be the same. As others have said, I'd just hand it over. I'm more sentimental about my life. Mine is over 2ctw in a 3-stone with sapphires. I would not wear it in a known danger area, but the grounds of a resort? I'd probably have it on. You can turn your ring, of course, why not be cautious, but they've probably been watching you for awhile. I always wear any jewelry I've brought on vacation, unless I have it locked in a safe. Many more people would like to lift it from your luggage than from your person.
Insured, of course!!

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
I have always worn my 2 carat asscher everywhere, home, out, work, vacation. Have never felt threatened and will continue to wear it wherever I want. I am about to add a 4 carat in a halo to my collection. I doubt that one will ever travel or go to work. I keep everything insured. When traveling I am always with husband and kids. Husband is built like a short Schwarzenegger so we generally have no issues. I would quickly hand over anything to protect kids though.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
motownmama said:
A robber isn't going to assess if your diamond is real or a CZ, so pulling a gun would be the same. As others have said, I'd just hand it over. I'm more sentimental about my life. Mine is over 2ctw in a 3-stone with sapphires. I would not wear it in a known danger area, but the grounds of a resort? I'd probably have it on. You can turn your ring, of course, why not be cautious, but they've probably been watching you for awhile. I always wear any jewelry I've brought on vacation, unless I have it locked in a safe. Many more people would like to lift it from your luggage than from your person.
Insured, of course!!

You're exactly right about the assessment part, which is why I would either not wear it or give the robber a fake if I were in a bad area or worried about it. [emoji6]

My ring is insured, and I wear it on vacation instead of a fake... That said, it was extremely hard to find a nicely cut, clean SI2 in the 9-10 mm range, so I'd be nervous it might take a long time to find a replacement if lost or stolen.

...but, yeah, I'd still wear it bc I love it -- and I feel like jewelry is meant to be worn! [emoji7][emoji1360]

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
poshmommy said:
I have always worn my 2 carat asscher everywhere, home, out, work, vacation. Have never felt threatened and will continue to wear it wherever I want. I am about to add a 4 carat in a halo to my collection. I doubt that one will ever travel or go to work. I keep everything insured. When traveling I am always with husband and kids. Husband is built like a short Schwarzenegger so we generally have no issues. I would quickly hand over anything to protect kids though.

Dang, poshmommy... Schwarzenegger hubs?? [emoji1377][emoji817][emoji92][emoji1587][emoji7]

Heck yeah!! Good for you, lady! [emoji1360][emoji1360][emoji1360][emoji6]

Spin-Elle

Rough_Rock
msop04|1466358614|4045696 said:
motownmama said:
Insured, of course!!

You're exactly right about the assessment part, which is why I would either not wear it or give the robber a fake if I were in a bad area or worried about it. [emoji6]

My ring is insured, and I wear it on vacation instead of a fake... That said, it was extremely hard to find a nicely cut, clean SI2 in the 9-10 mm range, so I'd be nervous it might take a long time to find a replacement if lost or stolen.

...but, yeah, I'd still wear it bc I love it -- and I feel like jewelry is meant to be worn! [emoji7][emoji1360]

I need you to have a sit down with my husband!!!!! He is such a worrier!!!!
#letellewearherrings

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lknvrb4|1466331675|4045615 said:
I always wear mine, I figure that is why I pay insurance, if something happens it can be replaced.

This. My rings are insured & they rarely leave my finger. I am guilty on occasion of spinning my pear around to the inside of my palm, but rarely. I love my rings & they are part of my identity :wink2:

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Folks we don't allow discussion or posting pf CZs, etc. it's in the policies.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please feel free to remove any of my photos.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear a gemstone with a plain band when I travel.

pinkgem2522

Shiny_Rock
Any pictures to show please? :angel:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results