shape
carat
color
clarity

Traveling out of country - opportunity for lower diamond price?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DoogieDog

Rough_Rock
Naturally I want to get the best possible price on a quality diamond. I'm interested in an IF/VVSI, Ideal cut, E/F color, 1-1.5 carat. If I'm going out of the country, can I get a better price by not paying duty? Can I get a good price doing that, or will I just end up paying more anyway? Is there a way to order this diamond from a reputable company and just take delivery out of the country to save the duty? Am I asking the wrong questions? I'm looking at spending what is for me a lot of money, and I want to mke it go as far as possible. How do I get teh best possible deal and not get taken? I've got about a month to make this happen, before I leave for a week in England. Thanks. Doogie Dog

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
IMO, you'll get the lowest prices and protection when buying in US via Internet. No taxes if shipped from another state.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You will find many more deals here than in England. Also, there is no duty on a diamond when imported legally. If you buy one overseas and bring it in without a customs broker, then you might be subject to 10% duty over your personal import limit, but I am not certain of this. Don't attempt to smuggle one in...It is definitely NOT worth doing that.

DoogieDog

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input guys. I didn't have in mind buying in England, only making it clear I was not going to Antwerp or someplace like that. But, if there is no duty anyway, then there is no point pursuing it. I would assume I could buy at lower prices in Antwerp, etc., if I could be sure I wasn't being sold a CZ or something.

I can't nelp but feel diamond prices are artificially high and that we are just getting taken whenever we buy them... When you're going to spend $10K, you want it to be worth it!

Thanks. DD

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Diamond prices are a product of supply and demand. Some very big bucks are spent building up demand by good marketing, supplies are reasonably controlled to prop up the market and there seems to be lots of customers willing to pay.

The vendors you and I can buy diamonds from don't make big profits on stones, but depend more on volume sales. DeBeers is the entity that gets a whole lot of the money...And they spend a great deal on marketing, advertising and mining...

Diamond prices can be very fair if you shop well.

Caratz

Shiny_Rock
"How do I get the best possible deal and not get taken?"

The best consumer protection laws are here in the U.S. If you are not a diamond expert and you are planning on spending a lot of money, you're better off buying here.

Jess

Rough_Rock
I would hang around this forum for a while and get really educated on diamond buying. There are many reputable internet vendors that many here are very happy with. Check out the different vendors on the "vendors" page and find out about the return policies. You need to be sure you have time to get your stone to an independent appraiser before the return time is out (David Atlas is one you can send it to and I see he has posted here already).

On another subject, is there a reason why you are looking in the IF, VVS1 range? You can get more for your $$ if you drop in clarity with no eye-visible consequences.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results