shape
carat
color
clarity

Traveling abroad with loose diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

silverbuggy

Shiny_Rock
Is it a problem traveling abroad (to France) with a loose diamond? Should we declare when entering France and/or re-entering US, and will we have to pay duty?

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
You would be best off to call the immigration office in your country that can tell you all the rules regarding such issues.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Is it really necessary for you to do so? If it were me I would leave it at home - too much risk and drama, and you''ll have to pay tons to have it insured for travel (if you can get cover - doubtful that you could).

If you really must, ditto Dee - call your local customs office to get most accurate info.
imho, you will not have to pay duty upon re-entering US as you''ve already paid it (I assume), but not sure about France..
You will need ppwk to prove where you bought it upon re-entering US to avoid paying duty again.

But sincerely, I would leave it safe at home/the bank, ykwim?

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Just curious about why you would need or want to do this? I would be so nervous about losing it!!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What would be the purpose of traveling with a loose diamond?
When I used to travel selling diamonds, most were loose.
They had to be declared when entering most foreign counties, or arriving back at the US.
There are countries where you don't need to declare the stone, but I'd say France is likely not one of them- ditto dee to check with the consulate. If the purpose of carrying it is not to sell, the rules might be different.
You might consider having it set in a simple solitaire which should avoid any problems.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/8/2009 5:40:00 AM
Author:silverbuggy
Is it a problem traveling abroad (to France) with a loose diamond? Should we declare when entering France and/or re-entering US, and will we have to pay duty?
Hot tip....

Do not mess with the French custom authorities!

Bad news...., they are extremely tough on these issues..., especially [loose] Diamonds...

Not worth the aggravation at any cost.

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
It's part of your personal goods, acquired legally (I hope!) and not meant for resale, so strictly speaking there's no more need to declare it (out or in) than you would declare a new pair of shoes. Even if they ARE crocodile by Louboutin.

However, DiaGem is right and things could be misinterpreted as smuggling, so at the very least you should have paperwork showing that you acquired the diamond from a bona fide dealer (i.e. it's not a "blood diamond"). Proving your intention not to resell may result in you spending quite a lot of time at customs on the way into France and again on the way out, since you'd have to show them the diamond on the way in and convince them it's the same one once it goes out. That plus the security risk would make me think twice...

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Having spent several years moving diamonds around Europe - mainly Belgium to Italy - and always with a load of documents proving that I was involved in a legitimate business and neither smuggling or money laundering, I just wouldn't do it.

I've been pulled off planes so they could go through the paperwork again and the amount of time you get stuck in customs can end up being a major security risk. I was asked a number of times by other passengers what I was carrying that had made customs and security so interested in my hand luggage.

Unless you absolutely have to do it I wouldn't. If you need to travel with it, have it set in a temporary setting and wear the thing - far easier and less likely to arouse the suspicious minds of French customs - and trust me, they have suspicious minds!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eeeeeeeeeeeeek! I do this all the time! I often take loose gemstones (including diamonds) that I''ve bought to have them set with a jeweller I know in a different country! I''ve just put them in a packet in my jewellery box in my hand luggage. I''ve never been stopped or asked about it but now I''m wondering if I''ve just been lucky?
32.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2009 12:41:49 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Eeeeeeeeeeeeek! I do this all the time! I often take loose gemstones (including diamonds) that I''ve bought to have them set with a jeweller I know in a different country! I''ve just put them in a packet in my jewellery box in my hand luggage. I''ve never been stopped or asked about it but now I''m wondering if I''ve just been lucky?
32.gif
LOL, I unfortunately fit one of the profiles that they seem to have at airports etc.

Any company I worked for it was a standing joke that I would be stopped no matter what. Even now, DH has to wait for me to be searched in airports.

As a result I never try to carry things on me.

On the other hand, if you''ve been to say Antwerp and bought a diamond and are heading back to the UK and have the receipt then you won''t have any problems. I wouldn''t want to do a multi-country trip without paperwork though.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results