shape
carat
color
clarity

travel to new england - help?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2006 1:19:01 PM
Author: Scintillating
USS Constitution

Old North Church - Have dinner in the north end, fabulous italian neighborhood filled with great restaurants, and save room for Cannoli at Mike''s pastry or Modern pastry.

Paul Revere''s House

The Freedom Trail

Bunker Hill (Battle) Monument

Boston is a great city, a great city for walking and exploring. If I were coming for the first time, I''d skip Plymouth Plantation and Sturbridge Village - largely because they are a LONG drive from Boston - and there is plenty to do and see here and just around Boston. (But if that''s really what you want to see and do - it''s worth the trip.)

Jeff''s (Averbook - Modified brillant) suggestion, Concord and Lexington are good suggestions.
They are a short drive outside the city, and plenty to see and do there.

Concord MA - Link
(Emerson, Hawthorne, and Thoreau - three great American writers who helped to define American culture. Walden Pond)

Scintillating...

There''s also Salem, MA, a very pretty interesting town -
Salem Witch Museum
I live in MA, so I can offer some insight. As a point of reference for you, LK.....plymouth is about 45 minutes from Boston. Sturbridge is more along an hour or 75 minutes (one way).

I point this out becuase you said you were interesting in things within a 3-hour radius.

I''d highly second Scintillating''s recommendation of the Freedom Trial, the USS constitution, Old North churh, paul revere''s house, and Bunker Hill monument. They are all in a small perimeter and easy to get to.

If you venture outside the city, I''d strongly recommend Salem, MA. It''s only about 15 miles outside boston.....you''ve stated an interest in the witchcraft trials, and Salem/Danvers is where they happened.

Salem is right on the water, so it''s cooler and you''ll find great seafood places. Things you can see:

Salem Witch Museum
House of Seven Gables
New England Pirate Museum
the RopesMansion Garden
The Salem Witch Trials Memorial
Witch History Museum
Witch House

There''s also a cool 1.5 hour Lobstering and Lighthouse harbor tour that would help you stay cool. You could likely make a day of it all. Here''s a link with info to hours for all of the above, etc. http://www.salemweb.com/guide/tosee.php

Maine is great....I grew up in Portland..... but it''s too far for your stated purposes. Acadia National is nearly a 6-hour drive from Boston. You''d do better to plan a trip there specifically another time, and fly into Bangor (Maine) airport when you do.

With a week, I''d plan 1-2 days in Salem (depending on how much of the above interests you---seems like a lot of it would). I''d spend one day going to Plymouth and possibly venturing partway to the Cape. I''d spend 2 days doing the Boston history thing. And I''d spend the remaining day or do doing quintessential "Boston" things.....

Ride the Duck Boats at Boston Common.
Go to the top of the prudential.
Go walk along the Charles river.
Cruise by Fenway.
Hang out at Fanueil Hall.

Feel free to spot up any questions if I can help.
1.gif

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
wow, i am happy to get so much information! thanks.

now i will sit down with a print out of all that was said, a map and make a loose itinerary.

mightyred

Shiny_Rock
You have a lot of great options :)

I live downtown Boston and it is such a great walking city that you can easily set aside at least 2 days to just wander around and take everything in.

I would spend a day just wandering around Fanueil Hall, the North end, the waterfront/aquarium and take a ferry from Long Wharf (where the Aquarium is) to Charlestown ($1.50 each way)...maybe have lunch at Tavern on the Water overlooking the city, check out Old Ironside/USS Constitution in the Charlestown Navy Yard and walk to Bunker Hill (also in Charlestown - such a cute little area, beautiful houses with gas lamps etc).....either take the ferry back or walk, stopping at Coldstone Creamery for an ice cream ( I higly recommend the strawberry shortcake) then hop on the freedom trail over the bridge back to the city. Spend the night at your leisure.

If you rent a car I second Concord/Lexington for the whoe minuteman thing.

I love Maine and parts are very doable in a short drive (although Arcadia and some of the best parts are a much longer distance), you can''t beat Ogunquit or Kennebunkport (hey it''s good enough for the President!) for a short trip from Boston. Cape Cod is popular and lots going on - that''s where you find a lot of new Englanders go on weekends. I love Newport but it gets very expensive - even tiny motels can be up there in price in summer so I generally go there out of peak season to get a better experience (& less crowds).

I am a transplant here but in my opinion you really can''t go wrong with New England in the summer..... unlimited options!

Once you get your itinerary worked out, if you need restaurant recommendations let us know! If you like seafood you will be in heaven!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results