shape
carat
color
clarity

Transparent Labradorite? Rainbow moonstone?

Caroline2308

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hello,

Was recently looking at some gorgeous "moonstone in my opinion" but the seller said they are rainbow moonstone - Labradorite.

What does this mean?

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
They are closely related. Both are feldspars that show schiller.

Traditionally and strictly, moonstone an orthoclase feldspar with a composition close to potassium aluminium silicate.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonstone_(gemstone)

Rainbow moonstone a trade name for a type of transparent labradorite, a plagioclase feldspar with a composition about 40% sodium aluminium silicate and 60% calcium aluminium silicate.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labradorite

I've never been sure how to tell blue (orthoclase) moonstone from blue rainbow moonstone - they both show blue schiller. Maybe the moonstone is a bit more 'billowy', the rainbow moonstone a bit 'sharper'. But I can't reliably spot the difference.

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
The seller is correct - rainbow moonstone is actually labradorite. IMO real rainbow moonstone is distinctive, but there are many examples out there where the name is being attached to regular orthoclase. Real rainbow moonstone is transparent. If you google Gem Trader rainbow moonstone, you'll be able to see some good examples.

IMG_9051.jpeg

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have this chart saved and find it very helpful. The more rare/expensive is Orthoclase Moonstone and the more common/less expensive is Labradorite Rainbow Moonstone. I have both and they are equally beautiful in my opinion, but they do look a little different from each other.
641063C1-8752-4C1B-938D-E29BED931F8B.jpeg

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
True high-quality rainbow moonstone (labradorite) is more expensive than high-quality moonstone (orthoclase). There's a lot of low quality moonstone (I think orthoclase) that is improperly marketed as rainbow moonstone, and this can sell for pennies. Cheap rainbow moonstone is opaque or only semi-translucent, like the example below.

IMG_9053.jpeg IMG_9053.jpeg

I have this chart saved and find it very helpful. The more rare/expensive is Orthoclase Moonstone and the more common/less expensive is Labradorite Rainbow Moonstone. I have both and they are equally beautiful in my opinion, but they do look a little different from each other.
641063C1-8752-4C1B-938D-E29BED931F8B.jpeg

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
The truth of the matter is without all the gemological jargon is, Rainbow Moonstone shows more colors than the blue sheen Moonstone. It is almost Opal like in top qualities. Also, top stones are very transparent & faceted most of the time and yes, Rainbow Moonstone is more expensive than blue sheen Moonstone.

Lovely gemstones both, but Rainbow Moonstone in top quality is an island upon its self. Blue sheen Moonstone cannot compete, unless you just want blue.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
True high-quality rainbow moonstone (labradorite) is more expensive than high-quality moonstone (orthoclase). There's a lot of low quality moonstone (I think orthoclase) that is improperly marketed as rainbow moonstone, and this can sell for pennies. Cheap rainbow moonstone is opaque or only semi-translucent, like the example below.

IMG_9053.jpeg IMG_9053.jpeg

Very interesting! I guess I was generalizing based on the finished jewelry pieces/loose stones I’ve come across. I’m here to learn though and look forward to someday seeing the top quality Rainbow Moonstone you and Fred mentioned!

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock

Caroline2308

Rough_Rock
Trade
I normally won't put a link up to a vendor unless they have something that serves the purpose of a discussion here. I think this does.

Though this Rainbow Moonstone is not faceted it really is a great example of top material. Check the video out.

Seems nice but it really makes a difference when in natural light and the back open. I've bought some of these from Etsy and it really depends on how they take the photo of the gem I guess. If they keep it against a black background it shows way more colors, which would be difficult in every day cases.

I would definitely avoid the ones in black background or would ask for additional photos.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Seems nice but it really makes a difference when in natural light and the back open. I've bought some of these from Etsy and it really depends on how they take the photo of the gem I guess. If they keep it against a black background it shows way more colors, which would be difficult in every day cases.

I would definitely avoid the ones in black background or would ask for additional photos.

I had many. It is like any other gemstone it depends on the quality and like Opal diffused light can greatly mute the colors.

Yes, black backgrounds do make the colors stand out more but only to a certain extent and that is good advice from you. But a top quality stone will always show more colors no matter the background than a mediocre one. Again, same thing goes for Opal. It is all about knowing the difference when you see it & admittedly one must be very experienced in seeing many, many, of them in person to know.

The stone I gave a link to is a top stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results