shape
carat
color
clarity

Translucent information please.............

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Time to tune in for more input from the greater PS community. I picked up this ring advertised as aventurine........and then discovered that the allure was actually an aqua component to the coloring. It is a pastel ring but the translucence gives it both a stronger aqua in some light and a moderate mint color in others. I'm thinking it's a chalcedony of some type......any thoughts? For a moment I wondered if it could be a dyed stone although not sure that dye would retain the translucence throughout the stone and remain even plus shift between mint and aqua? Any feedback, info or education to contribute to this "new to translucence, but loving it" person?

2016-07-10_003_2016-07-10_002__2_.jpg

2016-07-10_003_2016-07-10_003__2_0.jpg

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The first pic shows the greener shades to the left......vs the blue shade to the right. The light and translucence through the stone with the light at a lower angle? Second pic has the light hitting it evenly............so the color is more consistent. Taken out doors on a cloudy day..........

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oops.....I guess it was sunny when I took those pic's. Spent so much time trying to get the color's right.......and this is closer to the right colors although a bit lighter saturation than seen in real life.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:wavey:
could be aqua chalcedony or opalite (synthetic glass)
but this is just guess work based on a photo

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks Gloria, I can see how the pic's look like opalite....however it doesn't have that milkiness or opalness I've seen in opalite. Doesn't mean it isn't that....... I wish my camera would take pictures exactly the way the color's are.......but I guess others have that problem too. I will put opalite on the list of possibility's...... Thx!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first thing that popped into my head was chalcedony due to the colour, that soft milky glow, translucency, and size.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks Chrono.......amazing how it looked like aventurine when I bought it (the lighting evidently) but I love the 'new' color I'm seeing in daylight and CFL's. I'm going to try and find out if it's a natural color or manmade since a lot of chalcedony is dyed apparently? It's a whole new stone to me.......

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
UPDATE: I'm now being told it is a natural color and is Prehnite...........I've never seen prehnite this color, but sure enough did some searches online and saw the same color in rough and jewelry--not common, but prehnite is not a real common jewelry gem. I may yet have it verified with instruments when things aren't so hectic at home, but wanted to share what I learned............

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
current info: I took the ring to a gemologist. Her decision (based on indecision and limited info due to the setting) was that it was Chrysocolla in Chalcedony. RI 1.54, no fluorescence. Definitely not prehnite!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for sharing the update! It's a stunning stone :love:

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks Acinom, There is a yet another twist in this stone's story. I received an Aquaprase from Barry today.......it's absolutely beautiful, AND a bigger surprise was when I took it out of the gem case. It matches my ring! Here's a photo above with the two stones............ Barry and I are communicating on this (sent the photo to him first).......but it appears now my mystery stone could possibly be Aquaprase.

2016-10-08_001_2016-10-08_002__3__-_0.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This story is full of surprises! I can't believe you have two of these amazing stones :love:

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, this story has been like a slow motion roller coaster! I've spent the last 36 hours debating what to do since I bought the recent gem to put into a ring---and since the discovery, I won't be doing that. I have a friend that may be interested, but if not, I will post here when I return it to Barry. It's such a beautiful gem, I don't know much about translucence but these gems do shift color a bit between greenish and more aqua/turqoise blue and are stunning to my eye. I will follow up if it's going back in case someone here has an interest. If I didn't already have a ring (as it now appears) it would certainly not be going back!!!

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This beauty is on her way back to Barry..............

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results