shape
carat
color
clarity

Transition cut vs European cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Stardust

Rough_Rock
I have a transition cut engagement and am currently looking at getting an OEC. I''ve always wanted an OEC and started looking at them lately online and doing a bit more research. However, every time I see a transition cut my heart stops, they are wonderful. I don''t think either are as maths based as modern ideal brillants so maybe it''s more individual than I''m allowing myself to believe right now but could someone explain to me, in detail, the difference between the two?

Are transitions easily found? It seems that OECs were cut for quite some time, but transition cuts are fewer and further between.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Stardust, you're right...Transitional cuts are more closely proportioned to today's RBs so you get those delish "chunky monkey" facets shooting fat gobs of fire, but you also get a shallower crown and bigger table, more in line with today's RBs. OEC's tend to have longer, higher crowns and smaller tables, IIRC, so they can appear more shaped like an ice cream cone, if you will. I have a thread on SMTR about my Transitional and if you do a search for them as well as OEC, antique stones, etc., you should find a bunch of other informative threads. There have been quite alot of threads on old cuts the last few months so you're sure to have plenty of threads to read up on...and please, post some photos of your ring so we can see it!

ETA: Yes, it seems that one can more easily find an OEC, than a transitional cut. I'm not entirely sure why, but my edumacated guess is that because transitionals were cut at a time when cutters were experimenting with how best to cut a RB (transitionals, Tolkowsky, then RB), perhaps it was just a brief period of time and then people transitioned (pun intended) towards what we now know as the RB. Just my guess...Others like DiaGem and Dave Atlas can tell you more.

To be honest,I sometimes think my stone is in between an OEC and a Transitional cut because my appraiser feels it's early 1900's but I'm not sure what he's basing that on. There seems to be a lot of confusion on exact dating of when each cut began/ended...

Stardust

Rough_Rock
That''s the thing, Surfgirl, I''ve seen both transitions and OEC that look similar to your stone (the large photo makes it easier to compare :) ). So I can''t tell if the OECs I like are "typical" OECs or what. And maybe the transitions I seem to love are just slightly off being an OEC. These cuts all seem to run together and that makes this incredible difficult when you''re trying to ask someone if they have or can get a certain cut stone.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Transitional Round Brilliant Cuts usually refer to the late 40''s early 50''s period when the European Cut transitioned to the Round Brilliant Cut.

Because it was such a short period, you don''t see many of these stones around.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Hi Richard...thanks for the info. I keep thinking that my stone might be a European cut but I just dont know. Any way to tell based on the photos in my thread on SMTR or is it a case of "have to see it in person?" Just curious...Also, do you know anyone in San Diego or LA who specializes in old cut appraisals? I suppose I could visit Single Stone again one day soon but it''s a drive...I''d just like to know what I really have.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results