shape
carat
color
clarity

Tragedy with new e-ring - i need advice and support

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Groovy Chick

Shiny_Rock
Okay, maybe it''s not quite a ''tragedy'', but my beautiful new (2 weeks) 1.5 carat G solitaire pear seems to have developed an inclusion of some sort. I''m positive it wasn''t there before. I took it to a jeweller who explained to me that there''s a feather on the back corner and what i''m seeing is it''s reflection in the table. It''s very subtle, but i can see it without a loupe. The stone''s clarity is SI2 but i''m sure this tiny whitish cloudy spot wasn''t there when i first got the ring. Is it possible that the feather has gotten bigger coz it''s right on the edge of the stone? I''m going to take it back to my jeweller to see what he says. The ring is insured (i hope this covers damage). I haven''t knocked it or anything but i''ve just read in another post that ultrasonic cleaners may cause inclusions to increase and i use one to clean my ring. It''s really subtle and can only be seen in light that doesn''t create a lot of sparkle. I''m sure nobody else will ever notice it, but I CAN NOTICE IT. Does anybody have any words of wisdom, or even just moral support coz this is really spoiling the enjoyment of my ring?

Groovy Chick

Shiny_Rock
PS it's really small, but it's making me quite sad coz for ten days i adored my ring and now it appears to have a "flaw" and you guys are the only people i feel i can tell :(

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds like it took some serious lookig for you to find the inclusion and now you just know what to look for... This hapens to most diamond buyers: one someone shows them the inclusions and how to seek them with a loupe, anyone can spot inclusions and most desire better clarity: something akin to the "diamond shrinkage" syndrome. Did you see (were you shown) that feather when you bought the ring?

newenglandgemlab

Shiny_Rock
Inclusions are much easier to spot when the stone gets a little dirty or film on the pavilion. Clean it really well and you may find it very difficult to see. Congrats on your engagement! Cindy

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
I also have read in several places about the risk of ultrasonic cleaners spreading small inclusion and shaking stones loose in their settings from repeated use- but I don't know how likely it is to happen.

magna2

Shiny_Rock
Unfortunately the inclusion was always there but you had not really noticed until now. As you mentioned, ths feather can only be seen in lighting that does not bring out the sparkle of the diamond - well, jeweler's showcase brings out the sparkle thus you did not notice it when you bought the diamond. Like many things in life, once you have noticed it, you are always aware of it and with this inclusion, you've gotten to know the diamond by looking at the diamond everyday. Since you know where to exactly look now, you will always be aware and see the inclusion.

On the upside, you have gotten to know your diamond so well, no one will be able to switch it on you if you ever have to bring it to a jeweler for servicing. Keeping the diamond clean will lessen the noticeability of the inclusion.

rodent.gif

bof

Rough_Rock
the more you look at your diamond the more beauty and imperfections you will notice. it is unlikely that an inclusion got bigger and most likely you noticed an inclusion that you did not notice before. that being said you purchased an diamond with an SI2 clarity grading. it is entirely possible that if you looked hard enough you could see something if you knew exactally where to look.

if the inclusions bother you so much perhaps you can return your diamond and get another with less visable inclusions? maybe you should stop using your ultrasonic cleaner? perhaps it'll bring you some peace of mind.

bof

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes don't get too paranoid...though I know it's hard when it's your beloved stone.

Recently I found what looks like a series of inclusions on the table of my diamond, I've had it for a year. I thought, oh my gosh..what could I be doing that is causing these horrible scratches on my diamond. After freaking out for about 2 weeks (while I was too busy to get it checked out...) I finally got it checked out at the jeweler, he confirmed that there is nothing on the table or IN the diamond. Most likely it's a reflection of some scratches inside the platinum head joint..from me scrubbing it with my wire cleaning brush, and they are reflecting back up through the culet and stone into the table. They are only visible under 10x mag at the right angle, so it's nothing you can see at all with your eye...and I am so glad to know that it wasn't the diamond. I pretty much knew that anyway, but just wanted to make sure.

Chances are the inclusion was there originally, you just didn't see it. Does your stone have a plot? Is the inclusion on the plot?

This is part of the reason why you'd want to get an independent appraisal whenever you buy a stone--to ensure that all inclusions in the stone match the cert plot and that everything is as it is. Also, I had the appraiser show me the inclusions so I know where they are as well. Of course I can't find them anyway on my own, but at least I know that she confirmed the stone matches the cert and inclusions do as well.

20/20 hindsight for you, I am sure everything is fine with your stone. Good luck!

jenibear

Shiny_Rock
Oh Groovy - why the change from pear? - I just found this thread. I am so sorry to hear you are upset about your stone.
sad.gif

I know how excited you were when you got it.

I say its all in your head. Believe me you can find imperfections in the most perfect diamonds if you stare hard enough. I compare it to getting annoyed by your FI's habits. Others find them endearing or don't even notice them, while you - who know them all too well - can get annoyed until you accept them.
16.gif

I doubt anyone else will notice that reflection - they'll just notice how beautiful the stone is!
love.gif

And by the way, post some pictures will you!
angryfire.gif

Groovy Chick

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much guys, your replies have made me feel a lot better. Yes, the spot probably was there when i got it but i was so inexperienced that i couldn't even see it under a loupe when the jeweller pointed it out to me, now i can see it with my naked eye - although just barely. It gets me down a little coz now when i show people my ring, i'm paranoid that they'll see it. It's unlikely though coz it's pretty subtle. I still love my ring. Just waiting on organising digital pictures to post. It's drawn fab comments from people. I love it when they say words like "huge" and "rock". I even got an "enormous" today! Tee hee - i'm such a show-off! Sorry, this is so long but i need to forget the spot and have a good brag. A large pear is so unusual - i've only seen ONE as big as mine made up in a mall jewellery store in 6 months of looking! I have to say, it is such a great shape because not only is it elegant and rare, but it looks different from every angle! Every now and then i glance down and catch it at a new angle and am pleasantly surprised.

Pics coming soon i promise.

Sigh, you guys are the coolest.

GC

Groovy Chick

Shiny_Rock
PS Mara, no there's no plot unfortunately but under 'characteristics' it says 'feather under bezel facets' - don't know what the bezel is. The jeweller who looked at it reckons the 'white cloud' i'm seeing is a reflection of a feather at the edge of the table in the back corner of the round part of the pear. I'm going to get the original jeweller to look at it coz he knows the stone.

Thanks for your support.

GC

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results