shape
carat
color
clarity

Traditional Tiffany Setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondjane

Rough_Rock
I''ve been search all of the internet web sites for a traditional tiffany like setting - center stone, one baguette on each side. Vatche, Blue Nile, I''ve seen them all. It''s clear I''m going to have to have something custom made.

How does the custom setting part of this process work? They all say these platinum rings are hand made. Is that really true? Do these guys work in a back room with a hammer and chisel for a $600 - $1200 setting?
rolleyes.gif

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Jane,

That setting is a classic setting and has been manufactured by more than one company. Here are few links to get you going:

http://www.tradeshop.com/master/product/2a.html

Ok, in platinum it starts at 520.00 or something like that. I used to housesit for the master wax carver that used to work at this place...they are reputable with a capital R. With the matching band the total is like $750 or something insanely cheap like that. If only my husband had gone to them first...sigh.

Try http://www.stuller.com Stuller is a mass manufacturer of bridal jewlery, and this website sucks, but I've seen it in their big bridal catalog in my jewelers store.

http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com/ring-detail.cfm?id=1005

Theres one with a little design interest. More $$ but just another thing to see.

Let me know if you need any more help!

D-grrl

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
And yes, carving wax is a pain in the rear. And then when your casting doesn't work out, you feel this pain..... :)

I've been taking a metalsmithing & casting class and its a challenge. Definitely harder than it looks. Definitely an art form. I'm definitely learning. Definitely. LOL
wavey.gif

newenglandgemlab

Shiny_Rock
Hi Diamond Jane!

The setting you ar describing is a very traditional and not hard to fnd style. The method of manufacturing is very important in the durability factor of your ring. This is so important when it comes to the way your prongs are made and how secure your diamond will be. There is casting and there is die striking. And even within those methods of manufacturing there are better qualities. The prices will reflect this. I have always been an advocate of a company/manufacturer called Jabel. You can't beat the quality and finish on their mountings. All of their pieces are die struck and die struck and die struck. Just by hefting the pieces you can feel the density. In doing appraisals I run across older Jabel pieces that have withstood te test of time. You won't find these on line. Try a guild type of jeweler, maybe an AGS member that will know about them and probably have them in their inventory. Hope this helps a bit.

Cindy

diamondjane

Rough_Rock
Cindy,

Thanks Cindy and D Girl!

What's the difference between casting and die striking? Now I'm curious, I don't want my setting getting weak.

12.gif

newenglandgemlab

Shiny_Rock
Hi Diamondjane

Casting is when the metal is poured into a mold and hence more porous. Die striking is when they use a steel mold and stamp the metal into the mold to achieve the desired shape/design etc. Die striking has more limitations but is denser and doesn't have the porosity that a casting will. You definitely should be looking for die striking in the prongwork.

Cindy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results