shape
carat
color
clarity

Trader Joe Favs!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh yeah and in the spring TJ''s has $2.99 bunches of daffodils. can''t beat that price around here!!

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
I can''t find the lower calorie pizza''s either at my TJ''s. I bet it is a regional thing.

I bought the garlic and herb pizza dough and I''m going to make that for dinner tomorrow with some of their sauce and some mushrooms. We have a pizza stone too so I''m hoping that will turn out well!

Someone mentioned the butternut squash soup, and it is pretty good! I feel like I needed to add something along with it, but it is very sweet tasting and reminds me of the consistancy of tomato soup. YUM!

jas

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/29/2007 9:56:28 PM
Author: Rosebud8506

Someone mentioned the butternut squash soup, and it is pretty good! I feel like I needed to add something along with it, but it is very sweet tasting and reminds me of the consistancy of tomato soup. YUM!

I know I mentioned it, and others may have as well -- add some ravioli (butternut squash ravioli is a logical choice) and a little bit of parm cheese. TO DIE FOR!

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/26/2007 12:10:16 PM
Author: ellaila
Also got the jar of corn tortilla chowder
20.gif
3.gif
-- am going to try that for lunch today -- and some other spanish stew/soup in a jar that sounded interesting (cumin, cinnamon, cilantro, garbanza beans, lentils).
Yes, I''m quoting myself
21.gif
But I had to update that that Spanish soup in a jar = SO YUMMY!!! It''s beany and chickeny and really flavorful. Delish!!!
emthup.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah! I just found out that we are getting two Trader Joes in Charlotte! I can''t wait for them to open!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i swear TJ''s is like a neverending goodie shop...i was there tonite...and also i love how their checkout people are always so friendly and chatty. the guys are always like ''oh i haven''t tried this one yet, is it good? everyone buys it''....so it''s kind of fun to talk about what their favorites are and stuff when you are checking out.

so, i got more frozen steel cut oatmeal, this is my new current fave. 150 cals for a huge chunk of oatmeal...i add a bit of brown sugar even though there''s some in there already. you just microwave it for a few minutes.

also i found their frozen Shepherds Pie which i was totally unfamiliar with before...but we had them tonite and they were YUMMY. 16 oz and 380 calories each! totally filling and yummy too. 35 minutes in the oven.

and i got their frozen Gnocchi with tomato sauce (i think it has cheese in it too) to try. it looks yummy and we love gnocchi so definitely want to try it soon.

also, i noticed they had some sort of chicken asian stuffing for lettuce cups...like you buy this frozen filling and then you let it thaw (or cook it?) and then you wrap them in the lettuce and serve. i love lettuce cups at restaurants and they looked yummy but i decided to pass for now. but 3.5 servings for 80 cals each and with lettuce is a nice appetizer...maybe next time i will get them.

oh and more pizzas of course. love those things! there''s a TJ going up about 5 min drive from our house, can''t wait. they are already in the middle of building it, it''s in a new complex with lots of other retail stuff. hopefully is supposed to be done in 2-3 months. whee!!

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
I hear you on the oatmeal, Mara - I'm eating it right now (w/extra brown sugar, some crans, and banana), and it's super-yummy! (ETA: And SO filling! I'm stuffed.) It's funny seeing it frozen though - it looks like a candle or something!

I went there last night, and I was *craving* that Fage 2%, and they were out of it. Booooo. I'm scared of the 0% and the other one w/no percentage on it (I assume that is just full fat?), so now I'm Fage-free until they restock.

Another yummy thing I discovered last night are their banana crisps - thin like a potato chip (not think like a normal dried banana chip), and just a little sweet, and crispy. So good!

flutterby

Brilliant_Rock
spent the night at MIL''s last weekend and she had the gluten free banana waffles....YUMMMY! I just stopped and bought some for me. I also bought the veggie corn dogs someone reccomended. hope they are good!!!!!!!!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yesterday I just stopped in TJ''s to pick up something for lunch...I found an Asian noodle salad bowl next to the hummus, etc. It had a lime-cilantro dressing and crushed peanuts in little containers inside, you just had to pour on the dressing and sprinkle the nuts on top, it was sooooo good. I had half (one serving) for lunch and the other for a snack today, each serving was 220 calories.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 11:18:02 PM
Author: monarch64
Yesterday I just stopped in TJ''s to pick up something for lunch...I found an Asian noodle salad bowl next to the hummus, etc. It had a lime-cilantro dressing and crushed peanuts in little containers inside, you just had to pour on the dressing and sprinkle the nuts on top, it was sooooo good. I had half (one serving) for lunch and the other for a snack today, each serving was 220 calories.
haha i have bought this twice and both times i never managed to actually eat it! i kept forgetting it was in the fridge and then had to toss it. i am glad someone mentioned it again, i will have to try it YET again! lol.

i mentioned some other finds in the WWT but i got some amazing frozen gnocchi with tomato and cheese sauce this week at TJ''s and we loved it. 3 servings in a bag and 170 cals per serving. we shared the bag, had some carrots on the side and salads.

also i don''t know if i mentioned the shepherd''s pies but i found those this week as well. a 16oz pie is 380 cals! it was really yummy too! it had beef and a bunch of veggies in an onion garlic gravyish sauce with mashed potatoes on top. total hit with greg too.

oh and 2 weeks ago, got the banana nut bread, YUM YUM and YUM. it''s 6 servings for a full loaf and 180 cals per serving. most of their loaves are 8 servings for the same size loaf, so you got slightly larger servings on this one and it was worth it. but super hard to only eat one serving..i think i ate 2 at a time...haha.

basil

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 9:59:50 AM
I hear you on the oatmeal, Mara - I''m eating it right now (w/extra brown sugar, some crans, and banana), and it''s super-yummy! (ETA: And SO filling! I''m stuffed.) It''s funny seeing it frozen though - it looks like a candle or something!

I''ve been eating this with 2 tbls of "Better''n Peanut Butter" and a sprinkling of dried cranberrries. The Better''n PB only adds 100 cals and 2.5 g of fat, and makes it sweet and gooey and peanut buttery. I used to eat oatmeal with milk, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and 2 tbls of natural peanut butter and I think that was like 450 cals so this is a lot better!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2007 10:34:04 AM
Author: basil

Date: 2/7/2007 9:59:50 AM
I hear you on the oatmeal, Mara - I''m eating it right now (w/extra brown sugar, some crans, and banana), and it''s super-yummy! (ETA: And SO filling! I''m stuffed.) It''s funny seeing it frozen though - it looks like a candle or something!

I''ve been eating this with 2 tbls of ''Better''n Peanut Butter'' and a sprinkling of dried cranberrries. The Better''n PB only adds 100 cals and 2.5 g of fat, and makes it sweet and gooey and peanut buttery. I used to eat oatmeal with milk, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and 2 tbls of natural peanut butter and I think that was like 450 cals so this is a lot better!
sounds yummy basil. i also eat mine with sugar free syrup and a bit of extra brown sugar (1 teaspoon). the sugar free syrup just makes it more maple-y and for 10 cals and the brown sugar is 15 and it makes it sweeter and creamier.

i think i am going to have one of these oatmeals for a snack today later!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got the greek yogurt, fat free for me and 2% for the kids. I put a splenda in it and some dried or fresh fruit (strawberries, blueberries, clementine segments) and I LOVE IT! It has a creamy great texture and I love it!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
My new low point favorites from TJ''s right now are:

Boca Buger Tomato basil (2pts)
Thin Pretzels (2pts) a big bag
Chikn less Nuggets low points for a lot!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Skippy are you a vegetarian/vegan? Just asking...there are a few of us here on PS who are, always nice to have another around to share ideas/recipes with.

DH and I ran over to TJ''s tonight, and I had to come back and post here about the chili/lime white tortilla chips (yum), and black bean/corn fresh salsa! I couldn''t have them on a weekly basis, as they are soooo flavorful I think I would suffer from chips and salsa burnout, but they are definitely favorites of ours.

We also picked up some frozen mahi mahi tonight that we are planning to make tomorrow for dinner. It''s already marinated, all we need to do is thaw it overnight and broil it...I''ll probably make some rice and some sort of veggie to go along with it, and pick up a nice bottle of wine. We''ve never tried their fish before, so I''ll report back in with the results.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
okay, so here are some more favorites...i swear TJ is like a food treasure trove...i find something new every time. i can''t remember what i posted previously so here''s what i think is the latest.

black bean and corn enchiladas: 2 of them are 260 cals and my coworker had them and said they were FAB!
bean and rice burritos: 1 of them is 260 cals and 1g of fat
chili and lime chicken burgers: i guess these are new to our TJ''s...they look divine! 1 burger is 110 cals and like 2g of fat. i figure they will be fab with salsa and lettuce/tomato on a whole wheat bun!
chicken marsala and rice: the whole container is 310 cals and looks meal sized for dinner, yum.
lettuce cup fillers: this is in the frozen section and is a blend of chicken and other shredded goodies (mushrooms, spices etc i think), all you provide is the lettuce aka torn romaine would work wonders. the box has like 3 servings and each is 80 cals. and lettuce is almost nil. yummy lunchtime snack or appetizer at a party!

i tried the shirataki noodles and i loved them...i had them with a shrimp and broccoli kinda stir fry. great filler for the amount of cals and fat they have.

i am also still loving the pizzas and salads, steel cut oatmeal for breakfast, shepherd''s pies, the gnocchi was really good, and the banana nut bread is a fave that i only allow myself every once in a while...because i could literally eat the whole loaf. it''s that good!!

oh and recently i noticed that our TJ''s started carrying things like party sized lemon tarts and also a raspberry linzer tart...they are perfect for a dinner party dessert, they look divine. the best part is that a serving (fairly hefty sized visually!) is only like 210 cals for the raspberry and i think 200 cals for the lemon tart. and i love tarts with some light whipped cream on them...or a side scoop of slow-churned ice cream. so next time we have people over we are SO trying those out.

biblobaggins23

Shiny_Rock
i love trader joes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! omgosh!!!!!!!!!! one just opened near my house and i'm like in love!!!!!!!!!!

my favs (i'm vegetarian)

trader joes spankeopita (spelling?)
trader joes chocolate covered epsresso beans
trader joes macaroni and cheese
trader joes buchaneer joes chedder cheese popcorn puffs (like pirates booty)
trader joes pizza- especially the one with the olives and and veggies on it
trader joes soups (not french onion)
trader joes frozen grilled veggies
trader joes edamame!!! yum! especially with a little bit of soy sauce
i had these mushroom puffs with cheese inside that you bake...sorry, i can't remember if it was the trader joes brand.
trader joes fried rice with veggies!
trader joes crunchy peanuty butter!

btw, trader joes coffee ROCKS! i love the french roast! better than starbucks!
36.gif

anyone try the 2 dollar wine??????? is it good?

i know this is a favs thread, but i LOVE french onion soup, and trader joes makes a nasty french onion, so i would not recommend that!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Found another fave a couple days ago: veggie tortilla chips with flaxseeds! Yum, they are so good and go well with hummus, flavored or regular. 130 calories for 7 (big) chips, plus 50 cal. for 2 tbsp. hummus=less than 200 calorie snack!

Also, tried the frozen tiramisu, OMG it is very, very good. I didn''t even bother checking the nutritional content, though.
20.gif

biblobaggins23

Shiny_Rock
trader joe''s garlic naan is fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so yummy!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a long list:

Tarte de Alsace pizza-flat bread pizza with creme fraishe, gruyere, ham, and carmelized onions
Frozen French Onion Soup
Frozen Cream of Mushroom Soup
Gone Bananas-chocolate covered frozen bananas
Chicken enchiladas with salsa verde
Frozen Fettucini/risotto/gnocchi
Creme Brulee
Chocolate and Vanilla Ice Cream bon bons
Frozen mac and cheese

I''m sure there''s a lot more but I can''t think of it right now.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Um, did I mention frozen Tiramisu? Ahhhh. DH is from Chicago and half Italian and HE thought it was fab. I think I''m in love with it. I think I could eat a whole entire case of it and still want more. Seriously, you have to try it, caloric content be damned.
9.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love all their stuff for the most part. They did not have the chicken marsala, I am a bit bummed.

I am from L.A. and when I tried to tell people about Trader Joe''s, how the quality is amazing and the prices so good, great variety and service, no one got it at all. Now that it is in my neighborhood, the place is jammed all the time. I am thrilled they are doing so well in a new market.

gail013

Shiny_Rock
Their pizzas look great, but have you looked at the calorie content of that stuff?!!!! It is harendous. The meringue cookies are great, and only about 30 cals each.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2007 11:27:14 PM
Author: monarch64
Skippy are you a vegetarian/vegan? Just asking...there are a few of us here on PS who are, always nice to have another around to share ideas/recipes with.

DH and I ran over to TJ's tonight, and I had to come back and post here about the chili/lime white tortilla chips (yum), and black bean/corn fresh salsa! I couldn't have them on a weekly basis, as they are soooo flavorful I think I would suffer from chips and salsa burnout, but they are definitely favorites of ours.

We also picked up some frozen mahi mahi tonight that we are planning to make tomorrow for dinner. It's already marinated, all we need to do is thaw it overnight and broil it...I'll probably make some rice and some sort of veggie to go along with it, and pick up a nice bottle of wine. We've never tried their fish before, so I'll report back in with the results.

I am reading through this now. No, I am not vegetarian. I have *a LOT* of friends who are and my hubby eats a lot of no meat items. I love all the vegetarian dishes because they are lower in Weight watchers points (lower in calories) and yummy.

Is the frozen fish good???? I always see it but I am too scared to buy it.

If you are NOT worried about calories Here are my favorites but no longer buy because I am watching what I eat.

The Vegan Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies (soooo yummy)
Their mac and cheese (the best)
Their Gnocci both the cream one and the tomato one (found in the freezer section) my husband was buying the White cream Gnocci and eating it everyday. I finally turned over the bag so he could see how bad it was. It was like 4 servings for a bag and he was eating the whole bag. Then he said why didn't I tell him sooner. heehee.

They also have a super yummy mozerella, procutto (sp?) and basil log and that is delic!!!

I think I will try that yogurt. Oh, I do love their flowers. I bought orchids the other day for $6!!!

Oh yeah, I forgot but they have cute greeting cards for a $1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
36.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
gail not all of their pizzas have high calories, we eat them once a week...!! i get the chicken, mushroom and artichoke one and the whole entire pizza is 440 cals and 12g of fat. it's a fair sized personal pizza, i eat the whole thing and am stuffed. my coworker eats 1/2 and is stuffed. so it's definitely a great pizza for what it's made of. also their portabello mushroom pizza with veggies is only like 460 cals for the whole pizza, same size as the other one (10")? But yes most of their other pizzas are not as good. I get Greg the sausage and pepperoni one and he LOVES it...the whole pizza is about 720 cals but he doesn't need to watch his intake. Typically I cut the pizzas' into 4's and then take his smallest slice and give him one of mine. So I can have TWO yummy pizza tastes for 500 cals. love it!

and lol monarch, 'caloric content be damned' and 'i could eat the whole box and still want more' ensure i will NEVER be trying the TJ's tiramisu. i already know i love tiramisu so i don't need to want to eat the whole box...hehee. but i WILL continue to live vicariously through your tiramisu loving adventures, woman!

oh and skippy we love the gnocchi in tomato cream sauce. we split the bag and it's 4 servings or something...and then we have large side salads. it's the perfect amount! and each serving is only like 150 cals or something. perfecto.

basil

Brilliant_Rock
I''m eating their frozen cherries right now. Quite sweet and a refreshing ice cream alternative. I imagine you could thaw them and do something with them, but they''re pretty good by themselves!

biblobaggins23

Shiny_Rock
my fiance and i had a home cooked dinner i made, and i decided to try the trader joes $2.99 wine the night before our dinner to see if i could cut down on dinner costs, and it was sooo good!!!!! my fiance loved it!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2007 12:45:58 AM
Author: biblobaggins23
my fiance and i had a home cooked dinner i made, and i decided to try the trader joes $2.99 wine the night before our dinner to see if i could cut down on dinner costs, and it was sooo good!!!!! my fiance loved it!
Yeah, the Charles B. Shaw brand is pretty good for the price, and also TJ''s has some other private label (meaning exclusiive to TJ''s) brands that are around the same price--there is a great pinot grigio for I think 4.99 we just tried last week, i''ll have to find out the name of it again but totally recommend it. I love trying cheap wines without recs, it feels like you "discovered" something, but when it comes to spending upwards of say $20-30 that''s the point when I start researching things or asking the store owner, or getting recs from friends. Tj''s is definitely a fun place to buy wine, though, esp. since you''re never out too much moolah if you stick to the under $10 bottles!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I went there tonight. I looked for 2% Fage yogurt; no luck.
8.gif
I did find the frozen cheeries and I am excited to try them.
36.gif
I was bad and bought there reduced fat kettle chips (sooooo Yummy)
9.gif
. They also had this sample of spicy chicken sausage and it was yummy so I threw it in the basket and thought it would be good w/ some pasta.

biblobaggins23

Shiny_Rock
this is slightly off topic, but i wish my trader joe''s carried Amy''s Organic frozen foods. I am a vegetarian, and normally don''t take time to cook cause i work, so I like her foods. they are so yummy.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results