shape
carat
color
clarity

Trade MRB in for AVC?

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all! Thinking about trading in my 3.7 MRB for an AVC.

While I love my MRB- this one performs just the way I like. It’s bright (learned that for MRB I lean slightly towards the bright ones) I love that it picks up light pretty much from anywhere and shines. It glitters like a disco ball in many settings. Overall fabulous stone and I get a lot of compliments on it. I just don’t know in my heart if I’m a round forever girl.
I wanted something antique and more rectangular, so I tried the antique emerald route and I’m not 100% sure how that’s working out.

So… I can trade in for a rectangular AVC. Because of the 5ct price bump up I’d be paying more than I was anticipating to trade up and it would be a 5.1 or so ct. Which seems huge! Not a bad thing but I was thinking more like 4.5-4.75.

Anyway do I have a question? Not sure just thinking this through and trying to decide what I’m doing. If anyone has any thoughts or opinions :)

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
Oh you’re right not that big of a difference! Thank you

Just want to add that one you posted is so pretty!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since you tried the antique emerald and it’s maybe not for you, I’d hate to see you sell your awesome MRB performer and be unhappy again. May I gently suggest that you perhaps try one of his AVCs in Moi*****ite just to test drive the cut before you commit to selling and spending for a natural? This way you can hold onto your beautiful diamond, that you know you enjoy, and try out a different cut…I do believe his stones resell relatively easily if you want to sell it afterward.
Good luck!

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
This is a really good point and something to consider. I guess that’s a part of my hesitation because I know I like the MRB a lot even if it doesn’t feel like my forever stone.
I did buy a 5 ct equivalent *M* (long remiss on posting review of *M* stones I looked at) and did like it but in that size looked more *M* than the smaller sizes and returned. Also in that size it’s a chunk of change, I was like this is a good bit of what the trade up cost would be. Thought long and hard about it but ended up returning.

Like you said though they tend to sell so maybe that’s not so bad.

Know of any second ones for sale!! Haha

This is still a consideration though thank you

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
I dont know if this exists, but would a 'true' old mine cut lab be a possibility??

I ask because i also love the subtle square shape, but really like the old cut round facets. I don't love that my lab OEC is perfectly round because my earth grown OEC was definitely a more squarer shape (because it was old, it was wonky! LOL) I don't like the faceting of a cushion cut.

I know old miners are known for being that cushiony shape. Since you dont seem totally sold on the cushion cut I was wondering if maybe you're like me and you like cushiony shape, but not necessarily cushion facets... LOL

If so, not sure if it's possible, but since jon does custom cutting, maybe ask him if you can do an old mine or OEC facet pattern, but true to a real earth grown old cut and get that cushiony shape with dimensions that are out of round?? Just a thought!!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@petrock<3 I have personally bought and sold quite a few August Vintage stones (AVR and AVC Moissy), in settings and out, and have not lost that much money because they are highly desirable. I think It would be well worth the loss of a few hundred or so to test drive one.
I did love the avcs I had, but it is comparing apples to oranges (AVC to MRB) because the performance, flavor and shape are so different. Only you can answer which is your forever stone. :)

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
He has an old mine cut now that looks good! If it could be rectangular I might go for it. I do want something more rectangular.
I like the large facets of the AVC and the pastel flashes.

If I was doing this from the get go I might hunt for a true old stone but the size I want is out of my budget now. Now I’m used to the big sizes!!

I tried on a few things that would belong in other forums if it’s ok to post here just as a part of the process I will but if that’s not ok I won’t. But I did try some things on that I really liked in person that were AVC’s and old cuts.

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
@petrock<3 I have personally bought and sold quite a few August Vintage stones (AVR and AVC Moissy), in settings and out, and have not lost that much money because they are highly desirable. I think It would be well worth the loss of a few hundred or so to test drive one.
I did love the avcs I had, but it is comparing apples to oranges (AVC to MRB) because the performance, flavor and shape are so different. Only you can answer which is your forever stone. :)

Ok this is great to know! Thank you!

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
There were a handful of slightly rectangular old mine moissies on the DG website.

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
There were a handful of slightly rectangular old mine moissies on the DG website.

Yes I was tempted by those, they are a little small but it would be nice to see the cut. Might look again.

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
I wonder if you could talk to Jon about sending you a rectangular old mine and an avc to compare since you're considering them in LG.

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
Here is some research into this… I need to post about these but I’ve been slacking.

The first ring I very seriously considered buying on the spot… the size, the setting, especially the setting I love!! I didn’t 100% love the faceting on that stone and felt like if I want to do yellow I want a little more yellow. But as far as overall look I was floored and felt like this is the type of ring I want. Which I wasn’t expecting. So I do think this is “the ring” I’m working towards generally speaking.

I love the big facets on the AVC and the colors they make. I thought I would love the oval more but I didn’t see the big bold flashes out of it as much as the AVC. But the oval is very pretty and I like the shape. My only hesitation with the new Old Mine is it seems to have a predominant X contrast I don’t know how much that will show in real life.

This is the legwork I’ve done so far… I wish I could be decisive but I guess I’m a little hesitant due to the emerald purchase.
4102FC8A-195C-48E2-ABB0-CE3FBFBC0647.jpeg

Attachments

• 2B18C43A-3DE7-44DB-A079-92841781733B.jpeg
    2B18C43A-3DE7-44DB-A079-92841781733B.jpeg
    202.7 KB · Views: 28
  • F7DF4291-26D5-446F-A42E-297AE0BB2BFA.jpeg
    F7DF4291-26D5-446F-A42E-297AE0BB2BFA.jpeg
    216.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 907536E5-EA8F-46EE-BB60-BB2F8B1C515C.jpeg
    907536E5-EA8F-46EE-BB60-BB2F8B1C515C.jpeg
    270.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 62C72941-1E6A-4E6E-83FE-AE06DF033FE5.jpeg
    62C72941-1E6A-4E6E-83FE-AE06DF033FE5.jpeg
    274.7 KB · Views: 30

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
Hm there’s 2 9.5 mm Old Mine and AVC ***M*** stones available maybe I should look at those ??

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, I saw that link and though, cool, maybe that would be a cost effective way to do a big cushion!

NOPE.

Holy mother of god, is that typical pricing for lab growns?

The prices have come way down from there but depend a lot on where you get them. DG has its own cuts which are often priced higher but you know you’re going to get a knockout stone.

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, I saw that link and though, cool, maybe that would be a cost effective way to do a big cushion!

NOPE.

Holy mother of god, is that typical pricing for lab growns?

DG prices are pretty high comparatively, but the upside is that you know it's a great performing diamond.

Example, 5.02 ct antique cushion from Lauren B Jewelry, H, VS1, for roughly $12k:
https://www.laurenbjewelry.com/products-item?id=LGCA0083&type=27&shape=22&weight=4.31,11&current=0&

There is a lot of variation with the LBJ antique stones though.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
The prices have come way down from there but depend a lot on where you get them. DG has its own cuts which are often priced higher but you know you’re going to get a knockout stone.

I’m familiar with DG—beautiful stones!—but I’m less familiar with lab stones. I own one, and it’s a lab rose cut. I didn’t realize that wasn’t a current listing, and hope I didn’t offend. I was simply surprised by the price.

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
I’m familiar with DG—beautiful stones!—but I’m less familiar with lab stones. I own one, and it’s a lab rose cut. I didn’t realize that wasn’t a current listing, and hope I didn’t offend. I was simply surprised by the price.

Not at all! The prices have been all over the place the past few years at least from what I’ve seen

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results