shape
carat
color
clarity

"trade in" regrets

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
before christmas i traded in my zales signature 1/3 carat breathtaking ideal cut pendant for my new ring.

i love the new ring and very pleased to wear it, but wished, wished, wished i hadn't traded in the pendant. i didn't realize that it was such a staple of my wardrobe. (edited to add: it was my jeans and t-shirt pendant)

shoot (staring down at toes and kicking feet). anyone else have regrets?

now i have my eye on a whiteflash d vs2 blue fluorescent 1/3 carat for $960. (like zhuzhu) it will be a while before i can slide this under the hubby radar.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Years ago, I traded a 1.84 carat heart shaped diamond on a better stone of another shape. The heart wasn''t a very good stone, but I still miss it sometimes.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sometimes regret that I traded in the 1.33 ct pear from my original engagement ring. I could have had it made into a pendant but they gave me so much $ toward my next stone that I made the trade. Oh well, live and learn!

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
it's weird. i have this pricescope thing of "oh my gawd, i don't own a pedigreed, with measurements and angles, ideal cut stone at the moment" thing going on too.

ok, I am certified nuts.

next year... next year.

shall i call it pricescope shame? ha hah

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/29/2006 9:59:07 AM
Author: ladykemma
it''s weird. i have this pricescope thing of ''oh my gawd, i don''t own a pedigreed, with measurements and angles, ideal cut stone at the moment'' thing going on too.

ok, I am certified nuts.

next year... next year.

There is no question that there is that kind of pressure here. The first stone I ordered to look at was near ideal, and it was a few thousand less than the one I ended up with, yet they were the same size. But I knew that the constant talk on here about ideal cut/perfect proportions would give me a complex, and I did not keep that diamond. I am sure no one I know would be able to tell that the new diamond is worth $3500 more. But it was a mental thing..and expensive mental thing.

I think you''ll enjoy getting an ACA. My regrets usually involve settling for something that is not EXACTLY what I wanted. I am a slow learner in that respect...it is just good that I deal with vendors with a return policy!!!!

colorkitty

Shiny_Rock
I think it''s normal to have regrets. I''m very attached to my pieces, and even though my e-ring is too big for wear, I could never trade it in. I think if you get the new pendant, you''ll grow attached to that and it''ll be all good.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/29/2006 10:28:31 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006

it''s weird. i have this pricescope thing of ''oh my gawd, i don''t own a pedigreed, with measurements and angles, ideal cut stone at the moment'' thing going on too.

ok, I am certified nuts.

next year... next year.

There is no question that there is that kind of pressure here. The first stone I ordered to look at was near ideal, and it was a few thousand less than the one I ended up with, yet they were the same size. But I knew that the constant talk on here about ideal cut/perfect proportions would give me a complex, and I did not keep that diamond. I am sure no one I know would be able to tell that the new diamond is worth $3500 more. But it was a mental thing..and expensive mental thing.

I think you''ll enjoy getting an ACA. My regrets usually involve settling for something that is not EXACTLY what I wanted. I am a slow learner in that respect...it is just good that I deal with vendors with a return policy!!!!
Yeah, I''m alot like DS. When I settle then I have regrets. So I try to take my time and really really think about everything.

BUT you probably didn''t think about whethor a trade in would bother you. Sometimes you can''t think of everything.
8.gif

So sorry you have regrets.

This thread should be a WAKE UP call to anyone thinking of a trade in! Do you really want to do a trade in?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
wifey2b would not have accepted her new diamond if it meant giving up her first engagement diamond, its one of the things I love about her.
So yes I understand your feelings.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ok, I am certified nuts.

next year... next year.

Sometimes though you have to buck the system, LOL. I bought a stone that was non-ideal *on purpose* knowing EXACTLY what I was getting (and belive me, I COULD have gotten an *ideal* stone for what paid for this one), but this is the diamond that spoke to me and I love it more than any other RB I''ve ever seen. And funny enough, one of the features that makes is non-ideal (the super long 85% lower girdle facets) is the thing I love the most. I got skinny arrows and narrow pinpoint flashes of light and that''s what I love about it.

So IMHO it''s OK to want ideal, especially if it''s a "mind clean" thing, but it''s also OK to go with non-ideal if that''s what ultimately calls out to you.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock

ok, I am certified nuts.

next year... next year.

it will have to be 2008. hubby''s truck will need to be replaced this year- so no luxuries for 2007.

for the smaller stones i want kenny level perfection.d vs2 yup. i can dream for 2007.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/29/2006 10:44:34 AM
Author: Dee*Jay

Sometimes though you have to buck the system, LOL. I bought a stone that was non-ideal *on purpose* knowing EXACTLY what I was getting (and belive me, I COULD have gotten an *ideal* stone for what paid for this one), but this is the diamond that spoke to me and I love it more than any other RB I''ve ever seen. And funny enough, one of the features that makes is non-ideal (the super long 85% lower girdle facets) is the thing I love the most. I got skinny arrows and narrow pinpoint flashes of light and that''s what I love about it.

So IMHO it''s OK to want ideal, especially if it''s a ''mind clean'' thing, but it''s also OK to go with non-ideal if that''s what ultimately calls out to you.
If I had the luxury of having a place around me that carried a wide variety of ideals and non-ideals, at online (or close to)prices, with a jeweler that actually knew what he was doing and that I could trust, I might very well buy a non-ideal stone.

But apparently, what I want is like asking for the moon.
20.gif

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/29/2006 10:59:44 AM
Author: Ellen

So IMHO it''s OK to want ideal, especially if it''s a ''mind clean'' thing, but it''s also OK to go with non-ideal if that''s what ultimately calls out to you.
If I had the luxury of having a place around me that carried a wide variety of ideals and non-ideals, at online (or close to)prices, with a jeweler that actually knew what he was doing and that I could trust, I might very well buy a non-ideal stone.

20.gif
i own a few non ideal stones. secondhand ones. i have another pendant that can be a placeholder until i replace the zales diamond of perfection. i just didn''t realize that i would miss it so.

it''s not like asking for the moon. you know what good stones look like! go get ''em tiger!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/29/2006 11:07:45 AM
i own a few non ideal stones. secondhand ones. i have another pendant that can be a placeholder until i replace the zales diamond of perfection. i just didn''t realize that i would miss it so.

it''s not like asking for the moon. you know what good stones look like! go get ''em tiger!
lol I wish it were that easy. Maybe part of my problem is, I hate games, and liars and thiefs. That''s what I''ve run into in no less than 6 jewelry stores.

Now, maybe I''ve just had REALLY bad luck. lol Honestly, I''d HATE to think what I''ve seen is representitive of most jewelers, but really, not one good one out of 6??

I''ll just stick to online, thank God for that.

And I''m sorry you''re missing your stone. Hope you eventually find something that steals your heart.
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i wish i could have kept everything and never traded it in...but alas we aren''t made of money. but as for real regrets regarding the jewelry, nope...i don''t think so. i''m happy to have what i have!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I think it depends on what it is, for me.

I had no problem trading my earrings for larger ones. I had no problem trading my pendant for a larger one.

But I know that I'd have a problem with trading my e-ring stone. It's beautiful, and I still love it 4 years later. I'm sentimental about that stone, and I don't think I could ever trade it.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/29/2006 3:20:06 PM
Author: aljdewey

I had no problem trading my earrings for larger ones. I had no problem trading my pendant for a larger one.

But I know that I''d have a problem with trading my e-ring stone. It''s beautiful, and I still love it 4 years later. I''m sentimental about that stone, and I don''t think I could ever trade it.
i too traded in my earrings for larger ones. and sapphires in for better sapphires. but this one I am mourning.

at first i thought it was silly mourning for an object, but then i realized it is ok to mourn for people, pets, situations, ideas, and yes, objects.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock

ok, I am certified nuts.

next year... next year.

okay first of all "next year" is a mere 3 days away ;-)

second of all... I do know what you mean LOL I want one of those pedigreed stones as well :D And it won''t be big and I''m not sure what the heck I''ll do with it.... but.... yeah I hear ya lol

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/29/2006 3:20:06 PM
Author: aljdewey

But I know that I''d have a problem with trading my e-ring stone. It''s beautiful, and I still love it 4 years later. I''m sentimental about that stone, and I don''t think I could ever trade it.
I hear ya - My dh got me smaller stones orignally for my earrings and I traded them in right away but now that I''ve been wearing them for 6 years I don''t think I could get rid of them because they do represent something to me - dunno why the immediateu upgrae is immune to this haha but if I were to get new ones I''d still keep these. In fact I''m such a sap I don''t think I could take apart or get rid of *anything* I have....

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

20.gif
Yes, same here. I have to buy ideal because I am buying sight unseen. It''s too complicated to ship in a dozen stones to do a big comparison.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/29/2006 6:49:46 PM

20.gif

Yes, same here. I have to buy ideal because I am buying sight unseen. It''s too complicated to ship in a dozen stones to do a big comparison.

Oh no -- I totally understand! If I were looking at the specs on my stone on-line I probably would have shyed away. But I did have the luxury (and you guys are right--it IS a luxury) of seeing it in person.

I didn''t mean to imply anything bad by my post; so sorry if it was taken that way.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/29/2006 7:02:58 PM

Oh no -- I totally understand! If I were looking at the specs on my stone on-line I probably would have shyed away. But I did have the luxury (and you guys are right--it IS a luxury) of seeing it in person.

I didn''t mean to imply anything bad by my post; so sorry if it was taken that way.
No, not at all! It was just great that you had a jeweler who could show you multiple outstanding stones!!! I am quite certain that I couldn''t pick the "ideal" cut stone in a selection of well cut stones. It would be so much fun to choose just by appearance!

TCBug

Rough_Rock
No jewelry trade-in regrets here. The only thing I''ve ever traded in were 1.00 ctw diamond earrings (G/SI1) as a downpayment on 1.71 tcw diamond earrings (H/SI2). DH didn''t know about (or pay for) either pair. In fact, a male friend of DH''s noticed BOTH pairs (during different years) and that''s how I came clean to DH both times.
36.gif
BTW -- I am a BIG fan of "girls doing for themselves. . ." all but the ER or WR.

But regrets -- another story. Well: I DO regret that I have so much stuff that I don''t wear. Much of it is not worth much and I wouldn''t get much for a trade in anyway. Most of all, it''s all very sentimental. I''ve been with DH since 1983 and have always been in love with gems. He respects my passion for jewelry, soooooo, I have the 22nd BDay ring (sapphire) that is not as pretty as the 40th BD ring (sapphire). . .I have the yellow gold that I don''t wear as much as the white, etc. It does make me feel bad from time to time!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/29/2006 7:02:58 PM

DeeJay, nothing wrong with your post at all!!

And yes, it IS a luxury, and yes, it would be SO much fun to look in person ds.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results