shape
carat
color
clarity

Tourmaline Setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m considering getting a fairly large tourmaline and am not sure what to do with it since I have so many RHRs. It is an asscher style cut (has steps like an asscher but the has no true windmills). The colour is a very light blue, almost white in colour and it measures 8.4 mm x 8.4 mm.

Do you think it''ll be too large and gaudy as a ring? The problem is that I have so many diamond and gemstone rings that I never get the chance to wear them much, even when the pieces are rotated. Is it too small for a pendant? But the wearer never really sees the stone much either. So what do I do with it? If set in a ring, I don''t want to spend a lot on the setting because the stone is very inexpensive.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I bet it would be lovely Chrono! I bet it would be a beautiful pendant!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrono, I''m kinda sizes ensitive, but for a fancy, I don''t think it would be too big or look gaudy for a ring. But I can''t tell you which one to do, up to you.
5.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Skippy and Ellen,
Thanks for your ideas and thoughts. You both have never failed to make some sort of supporting comment. As a "reward", I''ve posted a picture of the stone. Now, all I need is to find a setting. A relatively inexpensive ring setting will be quite the challenge, don''t you think?

323SqBluTrm.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oooh, Chrono, verrrry pretty! I LOVE it.

And I''d love to help you find a setting, if you can decide which way you want to go, and give a ballpark on budget.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I''ll cave in and set it in a ring.
9.gif
White gold should do the trick. Is a $500 budget too lean?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2007 9:45:54 AM
Author: Chrono
Okay, I''ll cave in and set it in a ring.
9.gif
White gold should do the trick. Is a $500 budget too lean?
9.gif

Well, it can''t have any pave, that''s for sure. You can definitely get like a simple Tiff setting or similar....I''ll have to think/search on this.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, no pave please. Plain metal work is fine, but perhaps something interesting looking. Thanks Ellen.
1.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2007 8:11:03 AM
Skippy and Ellen,
Thanks for your ideas and thoughts. You both have never failed to make some sort of supporting comment. As a 'reward', I've posted a picture of the stone. Now, all I need is to find a setting. A relatively inexpensive ring setting will be quite the challenge, don't you think?
Chrono, that made my day, seriously!!!

I think the stone is amazing! What about a ring w/double claws?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2007 7:08:00 PM
Author: Skippy123

I think the stone is amazing! What about the vera wang twist setting.
Pics??

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2007 7:11:46 PM
Author: Ellen

Pics??
I can''t find the pics anymore
33.gif
I think she no longer does jewelry.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2007 7:12:57 PM

Date: 11/27/2007 7:11:46 PM

Pics??
I can''t find the pics anymore
33.gif
I think she no longer does jewelry.
Really??

Hmmm. Chrono, I don''t know what to look for, because you said "interesting looking". I''m not sure where to look...
scratchhead.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you can do something lovely with metal work for the budget... I'd get a qoute from Wink, personally. Can't wait to see it set! How about a prong set with high polish split shanks and single claw prongs (a little like Tawns only without the halo)?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/27/2007 7:27:19 PM
Hmmm. Chrono, I don''t know what to look for, because you said ''interesting looking''. I''m not sure where to look...
scratchhead.gif
Ellen,
I meant something a little more flashy than the standard basket setting. Maybe a touch of scroll work or swirls, or some other simple metal work. Of course nothing too fancy because my small budget will most likely not be able to accomodate that.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/27/2007 8:16:01 PM
Author: Gypsy
http://www.adwar.com/products/catalog20/page_1147/index.html Something like 21223L pictured here would be lovely, and probably affordable Too bad that setting only goes up to 8 x 8 cut cornered square... Instead of 8.5 x 8.5 but still, worth a call to Wink or Quest if you like the look.
Gypsy,
That''s an awesome setting. Simple yet has a touch of something different. I''d bet it''s affordable too. I''ll have to see if Wink or someone else can find something similiar for a 8.5 mm stone. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Evelina,
That''s a great buy but it comes with the center stone.
7.gif
Thanks for looking for me.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2007 11:47:57 AM

Date: 11/27/2007 8:16:01 PM
Author: Gypsy
http://www.adwar.com/products/catalog20/page_1147/index.html Something like 21223L pictured here would be lovely, and probably affordable Too bad that setting only goes up to 8 x 8 cut cornered square... Instead of 8.5 x 8.5 but still, worth a call to Wink or Quest if you like the look.
Gypsy,
That''s an awesome setting. Simple yet has a touch of something different. I''d bet it''s affordable too. I''ll have to see if Wink or someone else can find something similiar for a 8.5 mm stone. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
You are welcome Chrono. If you ever need a ring setting for a cut cornered square, I think I''ve got them cataloged in my head. LOL. I wouldn''t set the stone as high as it is set in the pics on Adwar though. Just my personal opinion. Adwar does have settings that aren''t pictured, so it doesn''t hurt to inquire. And WF has very reasonable prices for them, and excellent polish and finishing (which the Adwar pieces REALLY REALLY need) for them. So that might be worth a call too.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My thanks again Gypsy. I may send the stone to WF since they are also most likely to be setting a few other gemstones for me. And yes, the stone will be set MUCH lower than in the picture. High set stones makes me too nervous to wear them often.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you don''t mind, would you keep us updated? I''d love to hear what you decide on and see the final vendor pics of the ring when you have them. Best of luck!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I see you''re on a path now, but I had a suggestion. Have you thought about setting it on point? That would make it a bit more interesting. Just a thought, can''t wait to see what you do.
35.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i love the cut: i think its rather unique for a color stone!

movie zombie

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Chrono, that stone is gorgeous and it will make a stunning ring!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you everyone. Nothing is set in stone yet (forgive the pun
11.gif
) as I am still waiting for the arrival of the tourmaline. I think I''ll be in a better position to decide on its final "home" once I have seen it and played with it a little.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results