shape
carat
color
clarity

Tourmaline reset from pendant to ring

Wombats

Shiny_Rock
Hello

I have a pink tourmaline. It is brilliant cut 9.6mm and set with 4 claws in 18k YG, with 7 x 1.1mm GVVS brilliant cut diamonds in a pendant. The pendant us designed to be worn with a string of pearls. It was a wedding present and sadly, I've worn it three times in ten years.

I was thinking of having it reset into a ring, as it is more likely to be worn then. I was wondering what your thoughts were? What sort of value does a stone like this have? And is a reset into a ring a viable idea? If so, setting ideas? I'm worried about what I think is called the large window on top. I've tried to upload a picture.

Thanks so much

img_20160805_155748.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Given the size and gem type, it will be a tall ring off the finger and not something to be worn often as it will be top heavy, prone to spinning and more likely to be banged around. The concern about the windowing is valid as I also see one in your photograph and the issue remains even in a ring setting. How bothered are you by the window, which you will now see all the time on your finger as opposed to not being able to see it when worn near the neck?

Wombats

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Chrono. I think you're right. The ring idea won't work. I would be bothered by the window. And if it sits up as you suggest, I'm not likely to wear it often as this stage of life with small children.

I'm not sure what to do with it! I don't wear it and can't sell it as that will offend. Perhaps changing the clasp so it sits more flush on my neck, might make it a more comfortable pendant. Hmmm, decisions, decisions!

Thanks again

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just another idea, and potentially might not be super feasible, but what about re-setting into a bangle/bracelet of some kind?

This isn't a great example since there isn't a faceted stone, but this is kind of the style I'm thinking of: https://www.etsy.com/listing/277610648/sterling-silver-turquoise-bangle?ref=shop_home_active_6

Here's another example with a diamond:
http://www.sarraf.com/products/14k-White-Gold-High-Polished-Single-Diamond-Slip%252don-Solid-Bangle-7%22-1%7B47%7D3-CTW.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwlZa9BRCw7cS66eTxlCkSJAC-ddmwTXlLaBzySu1k0J5TzQ5qA0bZIHpHbTiqEfkDGPPbSRoCv-vw_wcB

Basically a bangle-style bracelet where the stone is set without prongs (so no scratching little ones). Dunno if you'd get wear out of something like that, but I think it could be really pretty, and the window would be less noticeable in a bracelet/bangle vs. a ring.

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It looks pretty and as its a Wedding present it does seem a shame not to wear it, obviously after so many years of little wear it just doesn't 'do it' for you in its present state. I think you could reset it beautifully but still as a pendant that you would wear.

I'd be tempted to bezel the Tourmaline as well and change the bale as you've already mentioned, or maybe put a small Halo around the Tourmaline, as you have seven little diamonds in it already. Or use the tiny diamonds in the bale and if budget allows buy a similar sized diamond (or other stone) to place instead of the grouped diamonds.
I think you have lots of interesting options to consider if you keep it as a pendant, just alter it.

I have no expert knowledge (I'm just a jewellery lover) and I haven't been on here that long, so I don't know if any of my ideas would actually work...I'm just trying to be helpfully creative.

I hope you find your perfect solution.

Wombats

Shiny_Rock
Thank you lovedogs and Hounddog. I think resetting the necklace is the most likely option. I do think it's the bale that stops me wearing it and something that sat more flush would suit me better.

Appreciate your help. Cheers

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results