shape
carat
color
clarity

Tourmaline and Tsavorite E-ring

tomboybarbie

Rough_Rock
So my bf has taken me around to begin browsing for the perfect E-ring, he wants to get a feel for my taste. I'm beginning to think that a diamond may not be for me. I have this beautiful Emerald cut deep green tourmaline, that I would like to have set with two tsavorite garnet stone, on a band with diamond accents on the band. Rings, and gemstones are fairly new to me, so any hints, advice. I really love the idea and concept of designing a ring.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
YOu should be careful with a tourmaline ering. It is not exactly soft but not hard like a diamond or a sapphire. I"m personally not a huge fan of wearing tourmaline rings every day, as your chance of damaging the ring are extremely high unless you really baby it.

I'm not as familiar with tsavorite but I know someone on PS has a tsav ering that is lovely.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I agree that tourmalines are not the hardiest stones, but they do come in very pretty colors and are affordable. Maybe if you bezel it, it would be hardier? You could also try a colored sapphire, which would be good for daily wear, but it would be more expensive.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
some have done a tourmaline as an e-ring. however, those that have done so do not wear it 24/7. actually, even a sapphire and diamond are better off not being worn 24/7.....while much sturdier they too can be damaged. you can design a setting that will offer more protection but you will stll have to learn to live with the possibility of a chip or fracture that could damage your stones.

before you give up, check out this pricescoper's ring: https://www.pricescope.com/users/pandora_ii

Pandora's ring is lovely and not that protected.........

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to the lure of coloured gemstones. :wavey: I highly discourage having a tourmaline as an e-ring as it will not hold up well, even if bezeled. A garnet will probably hold up better, but still require gentle handling (not 24/7 wear, removed when doing housework, yardwork and exercizing).

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
and a garnet will has a higher RI value as well and will appear more "sparkly".

i don't find it a problem to not wear my color stone e-ring 24/7. it is a mind set that when i hit the door coming home, the ring comes off. when i leave the house, the ring goes on.

much could also depend on what you do for a living. if you're a landscaper, you're probably not going to want to be wearing an e-ring 24/7 anyway. if you're in an office, a garnet could be an ok choice.

take some time and learn as much as you can. don't just settle for what you read here. find it out for yourself. there's a lot of info here at pricescope and there are a lot of other online sources. there are some great books that might be available at the library or at your local bookstore and/or amazon. if you really want a color stone e-ring, make sure you understand the pitfalls as well. personally, i don't regret the decision.

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
I'm currently building a tourmaline ering: nearly finished, actually! :naughty: I knew all the risks of a relatively softer stone, and was happy to accept them in order to have the ering I most want. I also found the thought of designing my own setting to be the (more) exciting part of creating an ering, and I wanted my whole ring to be glowy rather than sparkly, so tourmaline suited my needs. I am a freelancer that will most probably mix up wearing my ering with wedding band, and sometimes band only, because of the physicality of my job sometimes. I also fully intend to carry a ring box with me in case of heavy shopping, and box my ring as soon as I come in the door. I may even possibly, at a later date, have other "erings" for anniversaries, and keep my original ering for "best" - who knows?

I think you just have to do what you feel your gut is telling you to, and accept the risks if you choose tourmaline. I've read quite a bit about diamonds chipping recently, so I figure all stoned rings carry some form of damage risk. I look forward to seeing your progress! :twirl:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
natsplat|1311355208|2974656 said:
....... so I figure all stoned rings carry some form of damage risk. I look forward to seeing your progress! :twirl:

yes, even diamonds and sapphires can chip, crack, shatter.

glad you're building the e-ring you want, nats!

i hope the OP will not become too discouraged and will get the e-ring of her dreams.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I think tourmaline would make a lovely engagement ring as long as you aren't too hard on it. I might suggest using something other than tsavorite as the sidestones. Two reasons for this: (1) I think a 3-stone ring with all green stones is too much of one color for my tastes, and (2) tsavorites are really bright and sparkly and might overshadow your center stone. How about two soft pink tourmaline sidestones instead? I like the combination of green and baby pink.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
jstarfireb|1311449845|2975385 said:
I think tourmaline would make a lovely engagement ring as long as you aren't too hard on it. I might suggest using something other than tsavorite as the sidestones. Two reasons for this: (1) I think a 3-stone ring with all green stones is too much of one color for my tastes, and (2) tsavorites are really bright and sparkly and might overshadow your center stone. How about two soft pink tourmaline sidestones instead? I like the combination of green and baby pink.

i agree re the bolded/underlined above.

although i'm not a green/pink combo person an e-ring with 3 green tourmalines or 3 tsavs would be lovely. imo, of course!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results