shape
carat
color
clarity

Totally off topic

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hopefulbutpoor

Rough_Rock
I apologize for this post totally out of left field, but I figure most of us who are LIW are working through grad school while we wait. I know I am - and I need help! I am finishing up my thesis and I need a LOT of people to take an online poll - it takes about 20 minutes. If you have the time and want to help out a poor grad student in need, I''d really appreciate it!
emcrook.gif

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=51658932594

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
I''d be glad to! What''s the survey about?

hopefulbutpoor

Rough_Rock
The purpose of it is to examine myths and stereotypes about teachers. . .like those shown in Saved By the Bell, Kindergarten Cop, Boston Public, etc - where see a lot of teachers, but not a lot of actual teaching

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was happy to do it and it took me only about 10 minutes!!! Good luck!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i took it..my mom is a teacher so my answers are maybe a bit biased.
31.gif

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Took it! I''m, with Mara--my mother is a teacher (and in my opinion, one of the best in the biz!!)--so perhaps I''m biased. Plus, I''ve taught too, so I definitely have a POV! Happy to do it, and it wasn''t long at all!

elepri

Brilliant_Rock
I did your survey too but i feel like i was just guessing on a lot of questions. I hope that''s the idea.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Of course we will help! Anytime I will do it before I go to bed tonight!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I took it
34.gif
and I thik my answers might be off becuase I work as student aide (volunteer) with elementary school childrena nd becuase on my my grandmothers was a teacher. One of my majors is Human Development and we just went over the Miss A study. I really wish they had gotten to see her teach, have you read this paper? I think Miss A would be my ideal, just imagine knowing that you were such a good first grade techer that people could trace your influence in your kids lives even after they were 30!
36.gif

psuheather

Shiny_Rock
i did the survey...you should have a choice under martial status that says engaged
31.gif
31.gif
I hated putting not married!

katrina_33

Shiny_Rock
I took it - my mom is a teacher too, and so are some of my friends from high school and college, so I am WAY biased...it took me far less than 20 minutes too, btw.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/14/2005 8:29:45 PM
Author: psuheather
i did the survey...you should have a choice under martial status that says engaged
31.gif
31.gif

I strongly disagree. I think that martial status is more properly associated with married people.

psuheather

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/14/2005 8:50:54 PM
Author: AGBF

31.gif
31.gif

I strongly disagree. I think that martial status is more properly associated with married people.
I was just kidding

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
I took it. Teachers are very under appreciated. So are graduate students :)

sparklish

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/14/2005 9
6.gif
4:31 PM

31.gif
31.gif

I was just kidding

Hmm... I did the survey too but was unsure what to put because I am common-law status with my boyfriend since we have lived together for 2 years. In the law''s eyes (with regards to some things) we are married, but I did put "never married" since I wasn''t sure if "common law" status exists in the U.S.. Perhaps a category "living with someone" might be considered?

I''d love to hear the results of your survey later!

hopefulbutpoor

Rough_Rock
I''m not sure who said that most of their answers were guesses, but they''re right - that is the idea. . .it''s opinion based - to show perception, not actual fact. . .and those of you who said you were biased are on track too - I will be comparing educators vs. non-educators who know teachers vs. general public. Again, you guys are awesome - thanks so much for helping out!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
6.gif

31.gif
31.gif

I strongly disagree.  I think that martial status is more properly associated with married people.
I was just kidding
Heather...I agree with you...I remember when I was engaged, I was not ''single'' technically but not ''married'' yet...so I always hated putting not married or single etc since I felt so in-between. Getting engaged IS a milestone ... I agree that it would be ideal if that was a selection!

Or maybe instead of ''single'' it would rather be something like ''In a committed relationship'' or something. I have come across surveys that do get more detailed than just married or single..but I guess it really depends on the context of the survey and if the marital status truly matters to the results.

snow_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Ok done
1.gif
It was fun! I was thinking maybe the perception of an average teacher is dependent on the area and average income/environment of that area.

In addition to psuheather''s comment... you should add a box for "Involved in a committed long-term relationship
2.gif
"

hopefulbutpoor

Rough_Rock
snow - I like your new icon. . .that''s like the most perfectly formed snowman ever. . .mine always look more like snowblobs! Thanks for taking the survey.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
i did it too- glad to help!
1.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
6.gif

I was just kidding

So was I. You made a typo, turning "marital" into "martial" (as in fighting).

Deb, who has been martial for many years and knows what it''s like :)

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Gosh, how many of us have Moms who are teachers? Wonder what the correlation is to having difficulty being proposed to?
2.gif

Shay

Shiny_Rock
done
1.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/15/2005 8:30:54 AM
Author: Erin
Gosh, how many of us have Moms who are teachers? Wonder what the correlation is to having difficulty being proposed to?
2.gif

I know to whom you can turn to have a survey done about that. As soon as she finishes another one. ;-)

Deb, whose mother was a teacher

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Just took it! I''m really interested to hear the results.

My brother, sister-in-law, FMIL and FFIL are all teachers. I have some friends that are teachers and some that were, but had to get out of it. Its amazing the crap they have to put up with these days all around... kids, parents, admin.

psuheather

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/15/2005 8:28:23 AM

6.gif

I was just kidding

So was I. You made a typo, turning ''marital'' into ''martial'' (as in fighting).

Deb, who has been martial for many years and knows what it''s like :)
Got it now! Last night I was studying for a huge midterm and everything just started to blend together.....

ky6

Shiny_Rock
Took the survey. It took less than 10 minutes. Good luck getting all of the participants you need.

heart prongs

Shiny_Rock
I took it...I''m a HS English teacher...Is it bad that I don''t feel particularly underappreciated or all that underpaid?

I get to talk to kids about cool books all day; my students have this amazing view of the world and they constantly make me laugh; I never work when there''s more than 2-3 inches of snow on the ground, and I lie on the beach pretty much every day from the 4th of July through Labor Day.

Do I ever get stressed? Sure...Would I like to make more $$ ? Absolutely. But I can''t imagine that teachers are alone in those categories. Just wanted to to jump in and say that teaching isn''t as bad as many people make it out to be!!!

klr
35.gif

hopefulbutpoor

Rough_Rock
You clearly don''t teach in the Bronx! I agree with you, that other professions are difficult, but my hypotheses was that those professions also get a bit more respect than, say, a 2nd grade teacher.

michela002

Shiny_Rock
I did it too, hope it helped. (I''ve had to do surveys and I know how hard it is to get people to take them!!!!)

And it takes way less than 20 minutes - so no one has an excuse!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results