shape
carat
color
clarity

Total Newbie - Setting for OMC heirloom

N3A2S1A

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I was fortunate to have my soon to be fiances mother hand down a diamond ring that has been in the family for over 100yrs. I was told it was an old miners cut. Here are more details from the appraisal.

Round Brilliant cut
Measures : 6.9mmx4.4mm
Weight: 1.30cts
Color: J
Clarity: SI1

Right now it is mounted in a 14K yellow-gold solitaire.

My questions are

1. should I get it reset in another setting or can this setting be used and sized up or down depending on finger size
2. If i do get it reset, I wanted to order this http://www.exceldiamonds.com/-Engagement-Rings-5/Solitaire-Diamond-Engagement-Rings-11/6-Prong-Knife-Edge-Solitaire-Setting-1303.html?vid=2983232 in plat or white gold and use a local jeweler to reset it. Would this work with an antique OMC diamond?
3. Question number 2 stemmed from advice not to buy ring online because it may not work with the stone because of its unusual cut and size.

Thank you so much for the help!

omc_top.jpg
omc_side.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! You're lucky to be getting a family heirloom as part of your engagement ring!

The setting your ring is looks like a pretty straight-forward solitaire setting, and you should be able to have it sized up or down a few sizes. However, since (I assume) the setting has been worn before, possibly for several years or more, you should start by having it checked out carefully by a trusted jeweler to make sure the prongs are in good shape and that there are no dangerously weak or worn spots in the ring.

Also, I'd second your inclination to re-set the diamond in a six-prong setting, especially since my mother lost an heirloom diamond out of a 4-prong setting not just once, but twice. (Fortunately she found it again both times.) Note though that the link you provided is a listing for a six-prong setting, but it shows a four-prong setting. That alone would make me hesitant to work with that company. The pricing also seems to be on the high side - here's a comparable style that costs quite a bit less: http://www.whiteflash.com/engagemen...ni-1rz7265-solitaire-engagement-ring-4021.htm.

If you'd like more input on a solitaire setting, you might want to post your question in the "rocky talky" forum, which gets more traffic.

(ETA Whiteflash only sets their own stones or certified diamonds, but there are other vendors that carry Ritani. You might also be able to find a jeweler near you that carries the line.)

N3A2S1A

Rough_Rock
Thank you VRBeauty for your help!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on getting a family diamond and a nice size one, woo hoo for you! I think diamonds with a personal history are romantic. I'm curious about the appraisal stating "round brilliant cut" but telling you "old miners". I thought old miners usually were slightly cushioned shape as opposed to round. Hopefully VRB revisits this thread as she is more knowledgeable than me. You may want to take it to your jeweler before you buy anything to see if it is perfectly round or if they have any setting concerns. VRB recommended Whiteflash. I purchased from them for the first time this past year and was pleased with the customer service.

MariMeow

Rough_Rock
I think the state of the stone will determine if it should be re-set and in what kind of setting.

In my experience, with a diamond that old and in such an open setting, there might be some slight chips or cracks especially around the edges and close to the prongs. If you haven't had it looked at for "wear and tear", have it looked at by a pro.

IF it is a little bit damaged, it might be safer to put it in a setting that protects the stone, either with the prong placement or with a design that provides more protection to the girdle.

I'm not saying "go full bezel" --not a fan of those, personally-- but there are some art-deco settings like the octagonal or hexagonal settings that also use prongs. Those protect the stone from getting hit, but also let enough light in to let it shine.

Congratulations!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results