• $100-200k

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • >$200k

Votes: 6 10.2%

• Total voters

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tend to save up for larger purchases so I spend $0 for some years and a lot for other years. Total expenditure? I have no clue, but I'm sure the dollar amount would convince some.people that I'm insane.

PumpkinOrange

Rough_Rock
I tend to save up for larger purchases so I spend $0 for some years and a lot for other years. Total expenditure? I have no clue, but I'm sure the dollar amount would convince some.people that I'm insane.

It's never insanity to spend money on a great investment like natural color diamonds.

P

PierreBear

The poll is about the max you would spend on your total jewelry collection ever. For example, Polly Pricescoper usually spends $5K per year. After 10 yrs she would have spent $50K on her collection. Is she cool with that and ready for another $5K per year for the next 10 to 20 years, or does she feel like $5K per year is good until $25K so at that point she stops acquiring or maybe sells some things to acquire different things. Just curious about the different viewpoints. I thought @baby monster's approach of looking at in comparison to her 401k was interesting as I hadn't looked at it like that before. Though I have thought about my collection spend in comparison to my car and house and if I would curtail my spending at some point. My mother, however, looks at her annual jewelry budget but doesn't care how much the total is as she would never sell any of her pieces. Does that make sense?

I wish I was friends with Polly Pricescoper. With that type of budget, I bet she would have some beauties to share and oogglleee at!

Still really enjoying this thread! Thanks for starting it.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Total value to insure/replace or total budget to spend? Some of us only buy or primarily buy pre-loved for discounts, thus paying much less than we insure for.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@PierreBear, Ha! Maybe we need Polly and Peter Pricesoper emojis - and I'm sure they would be fabulously blingy. know what you mean, though. I really enjoy it when PSers post their jewelry family pics. It's so interesting to see the style, color, metal, etc. themes in their collections.

@madelise, the poll is for your actual / best guess lifetime spend.

It looks like the poll was missing a "Don't know and don't care" option so I asked the Mods if it can be added. If you've already voted you should be able to switch your vote if you want.

jadesilver

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I’m an average person and around me, other average people are doing far more sensible things like placing their money in investments or real estate. My approach to jewelry is utility-based, I’m currently spending a moderate amount (large to me) on an e-ring upgrade because I feel that it’s everyday wear and the thing has to be stuck on my finger assuming I choose to wear my e-ring (I do). I have other inherited pieces and I feel lucky to have this collection. I was lucky enough to receive a few classic pieces for my wedding as well as diamond earrings and another set. I feel like these are enough for a lifetime (it’s probably -supposed- to be enough for an average, even a jewelry-loving average person’s lifetime...). After this purchase I won’t be looking at any other purchases for the next decade, at least. I’ll be spending the next decade cutting down on fun money(not too much but some) to make up for this upgrade indulgence, as well as enjoying my collection in general. I don’t feel the urge to purchase jewelry other than the one big diamond since I already have some pieces. I think it’s an expensive hobby. (LOL)

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't have a set lifetime budget, so I answered the poll based on a best guess of what I'm likely to spend over time. I already don't wear much of what I have, so I'm slowly selling what I don't use, to free up capital for other special pieces as I find them. What I spend is pretty much a function of my disposable income.

I like that nice pieces tend to hold their value or even appreciate... although I don't buy jewelry as an investment (there are better options for that). I buy for personal pleasure, which to me is a totally valid reason. A different type of 'investment'. :)

Anne

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m basing my answer on what I expect to spend, MAX, before the end of my life. Compromise allowed, as I promised DH diamonds for his Cabin.
I have quite a bit of inherited, heirloom pieces, so the estimate does not include those....

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think about it. I know it's in the higher categories but other than that it's not something that features in my day to day thinking.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results